Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

Hey @Cobra50 bud,
Hope alls well with you and yours …
I have two females of @Scissor-Hanz g13/Afghani #1 - one of which is just a week into flowering plus i have a single blueberry x Jesus og and it’s a she but iv been kping em (& a few others) in small pots as iv got to finish a few others before i can finish them - here’s a pic of the g13/Afghani ( not trained) :arrow_heading_down:

G13/Afghani is on the left and a Stardawg IX x X18 clone on the right , both a week into flower.

I hope this helps when you crack yours bro ( just check my updates if you wanna see how she grows).
Take care and keep in touch mate …
Gaz

4 Likes

Hi @Gaz29. I use the same technique to prevent them from getting too large too quickly when I have a crowd.

Thanks Gaz, I’ll look for it. It’ll be great to see it grow before I get a chance to. I’ve read awesome things about both G13 and Afghani #1. And, @Scissor-Hanz has bred them to be small plants (small plants are SOOOOO much easier to trim out). I can’t wait to get to them.

I’m going to need to stop making clones at all. I’ve grown out 2 clones of the Sweet Tooth 4 with 2 more in there now. I also have clones going of the @Kalgrae plants I am growing and 2 of the OG Kush. This is making it take too long to get to the rest of my seeds, so as tempting as it is, I am not making any more clones until I’ve made a substantial dent in my strain list.

So many seeds, so little lighting. :wink:

Have a good day all!
C50

6 Likes

Hello happy family. :slight_smile:

I meant to do this update on the 21st. By the time I got to it, I had to take more photos already. I am busy all the time but don’t seem to be accomplishing the things I need to get done.

Well, let’s get started, shall we?

#100, OG Kush from @Sebring:
Number 100 has been very successful! I have pollinated 2 small branches near the top with Divyder pollen, the 2 branches just over the boy branches got self pollinated.

This 1st image show the full plant after the boy branches were removed at bottom. The small branch didn’t get into this shot.

The next picture is of the part of the plant. One of the branches pollinated by Divyder (the brand new name for the LR x LD per @ReikoX) pollen (2018-09-17) is visible in this photo and is circled, the other branch is hidden by leaves. They are both small, upper branches.

A close look will reveal a pistil structure effected by seed growth. I didn’t get a closeup image, but if I did, you’d see seeds have become visible already. :slight_smile: This is the first step in breeding an OG Kush auto.

This pic shows one of the self pollinated branches. Close examination will show that the pistil structure is effected.

They were only pollinated on 2018-09-22, so there aren’t any recognizable seeds growing yet. They should become apparent in a few days.

The following composite picture is a closeup of each boy branch.

Notice the large number of leaves around the male buds. I don’t know if an OG Kush male would have that many leaves. These had more until I removed all leaves that had gotten STS on them. The high amount of foliage made it difficult to find opened buds, so I used the method of plucking buds that were close and letting them dry out between paper plates (described in detail in a previous post). Even this method was a bit difficult because the pollen is a very, very whitish yellow. At first I thought all the buds were wearing rubbers because I couldn’t find any pollen on the plate. I didn’t get discouraged, I just added more buds to the plate, leaving the earlier ones there as well.

When I didn’t see any pollen still, I pushed the dried buds around with tiny, very soft, art brush. I then noticed some barely visible lines on the paper plate. I looked at the brush and it was covered with an off-white looking powder. It is probably my color vision deficiency that made it so hard to see against the white plate. I’ll be looking for some red or blues plates for the future.

This last composite image concerning the OG Kush is the flowers I pulled of the boy branches after removal, when I could look very closely at the male colas.

There were MANY opened buds inside, which explains all the bananas on the plate.

These last 2 photos show the pollen from all the useful buds, 14 hours later.

See how difficult it is to discern the pollen. In the 001 pic, in the shadow, you can see some dark spots that look dirty and some very faint powder in the sunlight. Picture 004, I moved the dead buds away from the center of the plate to see the pollen by itself.

I have 2 clones coming up of this plant, but it took 4 to get two. One took 19 days to show roots, the other 15 days. The roots continue to grow slowly after showing. This particular plant had a slow start in the beginning, that may have something to do with it. These 2 clones are the last ones I’ll take for a long while, so I can try out more seeds. Having something new all the time is just amazing!

Numbers 102 and 105, Chuy Purps x Second Sight from @Pookie123:
Here they are side by side in the Male room. I moved them there so they could get laid in private.

I pollinated 3 small, upper branches of 102 and I large branch on 105 last night. I first used the remaining pollen that was still in the spent flowers from the male, #104. This pollen has been sitting out at room temperature for 10 days. I have a lot more chillin’ out in the freezer, but I wanted to see how long it would last at room temps. I’d read an estimate of 3-5 days and decided to test that statement.

It’s only been 12 hours since I pollinated them, so no real sign as to whether it worked yet. I’ll give them a couple of more days and check again. If I see no sign of a successful pollination, I’ll get the Chuy Purps x Second Sight pollen from the freezer and do it again.

If you remember from several posts back, 105 was the plant that looked like a twister from the top. It did so well in the 6" pot, I moved it to an 8" pot on 2018-09-19. I am so glad I didn’t destroy it. At 20" tall, it is 11" shorter than its sister, 102. It may be short, but it is very dense.
These 2 plants bring to mind my 2 Durban females from several months ago. They too had 1 tall, columnar phenotype and one short, bushy one. The difference is that the Durbans were grown from a mix of seeds from 3 different crosses. The Chuy Purps x 2nd Sight is a single crossing only.

Plants 96 & 97, (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine, green phenotype, from @Kalgrae through @Jellypowered:

These are looking really good. I have them down for a 63 day flowering period (my goal is amber trikes) and they are currently on Flower day 46, a full 17 days from that date. If I didn’t want to wait for amber trichomes, I’d actually harvest it in the next couple of days because they are so mature, they are getting some foxtail going on.

These will be the next plants harvested. I can’t wait to sample them.

Numbers 107 & 108 are the last clones of the Sweet Tooth #4. They are the ones that I started from cuttings taken while the mothers were on flower day 8. The last time I mentioned them I was expecting them to be fully into veg mode shortly. It actually took about 2 weeks more.

I had to take about 8" off the top of each before they were full back to Veg mode because they were getting very tall for Veg and the leaves not only still had no serrations, they were single finger hands. They will do fine now. No more defoliating for these girls.

Plants numbered from 119 to 127, my 9 seedlings from @99percent’s XJ medley (sent to me from @Jellypowered)

These babies are on germination day 13. Aside from getting a bit stretchy the first 5 days, they are normal and healthy. There is, however, one thing that is so different, I actually laughed out loud when I noticed it.

Do you see it?

The seedling in the front has very thin leaves, sativa style, while all the rest have very indica looking leaves. I’ve been racking my brain to try to remember if I did something that could have caused me to switch seeds on the one. I can’t think of anytime any of the seeds was out of my control. All it can be is a very different phenotype surfacing. I’ll let it continue to grow while I decide what to do with it.

9 Likes

I’m speachless. Unbelievably awesome thread.

5 Likes

Hi guys and gals,

I was looking at my Chuy Purps x 2nd Sight (from @pookie123) last night (48 hours after pollinating) and saw definite signs of seeds. I used 10 day old pollen that had been stored at room temp. All the spent male buds I had stored in a small paper cup (actual paper, no coating) and covered with a paper bowl. When I was ready to use it, I poured the spent flowers out of the cup and used the pollen directly form the cup to pollinate.

Aja (appears to no longer be a member) mentioned in his GrowFAQ thread:

It seems to me this shows pollen is viable for at least 10 days.

I have some pictures I took with my Celestron handheld digital microscope. I actually took about 100, and only 5 of those were good enough to see baby seeds in progress (its a real challenge holding the plant and camera still to get a good shot). Even these 5 are a little blurry, but the beginning seeds are visible.

I’ll have an easier time photographing them in about 3 more days. I just wanted to see if I needed to pollinate again due to how the pollen was stored. I could/can see the developing seeds just fine using a magnifier, but that didn’t allow me to share the results with you.

I have two large, healthy clones of the @Kalgrae green pheno, P109 and P114, that I am debating destroying. With the 9 XJ medley seeds from @99PerCent and @Jellypowered coming up, I need to clear up some Flowering room space. I figure at least 4 will be female and that is 2x as many as I normally put into Flowering at one time. I may have more females as well, so I need the Flowering room to be completely cleared out when these go in so they aren’t fighting for light.

Speaking of Flowering, temps here in SE WI, are 72°F and expected to get lower for the forcastable future, so I can raise my plants 3-4 inches and not need to worry about getting burned from the 750W HPS. And, for the first time in recent memory, I haven’t had enough of a flyin’ fucker infestation this season to harm my grow. (I sure hope I am not tempting fate by writing this down.)

Have a good day one and all,
C50

Edit: I realized at the proof read that the 1st and last photos were of the same bud. The 1st one was more clear, so I deleted the the last one.

5 Likes

Starting on this update, I will be putting a “P” in front of the plant’s number. This is more for me because all my seeds have a numeric strain identifier as well, but perhaps you’ll like it also. When making my notes in my database, I am using and “S” in front of the strain identifier. This makes it easier to make notes about each. For instance, the @Kalgrae plants have no official name and writing “BC Mango Nurse Diesel Moonshine - green phenotype” each time I wish to make a note about it is too much typing, so in my notes it is S10. I’ll still refer to the stain by its whole name here for your benefit.

Also, starting with this update, this topic will only contain my 1st grow only, from the seeds I have been given. This was my original intention for this topic. Hell, when I started this thread, I didn’t think I’d ever purchase seeds. Also, with all the new seeds I had, I hadn’t expected to clone some plants as I went along.

This link will lead you to an additional thread that will cover any other grows: Cradle to grave. Seeds, clones, STS, germination and more
You’ll find follow up grows of seeds highlighted in this topic as well as clone grows. This is also the place to go to see stuff I started here that is no longer a first grow, for instance, I have 2 Sweet Tooth clones still going, further updates on these will be at the new link, not here. I will also be using the new thread for such chores as reversing a plant, collecting pollen, or germinating difficult seeds. It will also contain any special projects, if there are any.

@Kalgrae, how do you like your BC Mango Nurse Diesel Moonshine (green phenotype) plants now?

These plants are doing extremely well and have a lot of bulk. I can’t quite place the fragrance of these plants. It seems to be slightly pine smelling with fruity and floral accents, but I can’t figure what fruit or flowers it smells like. I can say, it is very pleasant aroma.

My basement is an entire bouquet of fragrances since I started growing out all these different seeds. My original two types had a good fragrance as well, but with all the years I’ve been growing them, I became so accustomed to them that I didn’t even smell them any more.

P97 had a 2" tall, Christmas tree shaped bud on the top that is visible in the last pictures I posted of her. I cut that bud off on 10-1, flower day 52. It finished drying yesterday (after 5 days) and I smoked it last night. It was very good. It tasted the way it smells, with the addition of a very unusual taste that reminds me a little of menthol. It isn’t menthol, but that is the closest I can get to figuring out what it is. I may be tasting the Diesel in its heritage. It is more pleasant tasting, with less of the harsh after taste than most. I can still taste the resins at the back of my tongue, but it doesn’t send me for something to clear the taste.

The buzz was potent, but did not slap me in the face. The high built with each hit until after about 5 or 6 hits, I was very pleasantly stoned. All in all, @Kalgrae chose an excellent group of plants to chuck. Great job @Kalgrae!

@Sebring, how does this OG Kush (flower day 30) compare to when you were growing them?

This plant has gotten so tall! That accidental re-vegging of the plant allowed for more branch growth than I’d have liked.

If I gently pull on the pollinated buds, I can see plenty of good size seeds in the branches self pollinated and the ones I pollinated using Divyder pollen. She has very solid growth going for her and with her size now, she should give me a good yield.

@Pookie123, here are the Chuy Purps x Second Sight I got from you.

I’ve been watching the pollinated buds closely. Remember, I used the pollen that had been stored at room temp for 10 days to pollinate these girls. I really fought the urge to get the saved pollen from the freezer to guarantee I get enough seeds.

I gently spread the buds apart to inspect for seeds deep in them. Here are a few representative pics:

It looks like I’ll be getting at least 3 dozen from each plant, plenty enough to make some F2s in the near future.

They are looking very good and the temps are mostly mid 60s around my home lately, so I have them closer to the lamp now where it about 82°F, so the colas should be better than I’ve been getting in the hot weather.

@99PerCent (and @Jellypowered), I still have 9 of your XJ Medleys alive and well. They were on germ day 22 in this photo.

They are still in a boring phase, but I expect them to change quite a bit in the next week or so. Then they get anything but boring as they exit the seedling stage become a plant in earnest. I wonder what the boy:girl ratio will be as well as whether I will get a representative from each of the choices in each sex. This grow is “like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get”. I have some updates on the clones I have going as well as the current Divyder grow in the new thread, for anyone that is following them.

Cheers,
C50

Edit: formatting

9 Likes

Your OG Kush looks exactly like the ones I grew out. I was growing them when I was still getting the hang of the timing for flipping to flower, so most of mine got to the size yours is. :smile:

4 Likes

Hello OverGrow family.

I am loving the cooling weather. The last 2-3 weeks, the outdoor temps dropped so much that the temp in my Flowering room has dropped about 9°, and about 12° at the low edge of the umbrella reflector. I am anticipating some awesome grows from now until spring warm up arrives. I hate the way the winter makes me feel, with its cold, dark days, I get a bad case of winter blues. My plants absolutely love it, though.

My first update will be about P96 and P97, (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine from @Kalgrae’s seeds, provided by @Jellypowered. These ladies are at flower day 64.

These are the last photos before harvest. Checking the trikes, I see about 20% of them are amber. I’d like to get more amber, but I can’t let them go any longer because I have several plants needing to go into Flowering due to having 9 seedlings that are now too big for my Baby box.

But it doesn’t matter. I’ve smoked a bud from each of these ladies last week and it is some badass weed. The taste was awesome and the high excellent.

They smelled SO GOOD while trimming, I actually enjoyed doing it.

The buds on P96 were very tight and dense with a nice calyx to leaf ratio that made it a breeze to trim. Conversely, the buds on P97 were more like fingers. There were light and airy with a much less pleasant calyx to leaf ratio. P97 was a PITA to trim. The difference is very pronounced in the after trim photos.

She looks like I may get over 75 grams of smokin’ stuff when she is done. Each branch has a long cola at its end.

Cool. What were you using for a flowering time? From descriptions at Seed Finder, I came up with 56 days.

She just recently stopped stretching. Two days ago, it seemed as though it had grown colas like overnight. It’s only been 22 days and there are large seeds all over the pollinated branches.

I am getting anxious to sample the finished product. :heart_eyes:

I am VERY impressed by these 2 beauties. Look at the frosting developing on the sweet leaves.

I am so glad I didn’t destroy P105 when it was looking so strange. At 23.5" tall, it is a full 15" shorter with more branches than its sister, P102.

I trimmed all the low branches and buds on P105 that were buried deeply away from light yesterday. There was a large number of small, flowered branches about an inch (25mm) long or less right at the bottom, where the stalk branches off.

When I trimmed up the bottom of P105, I deliberately didn’t use gloves. It was just a bunch of popcorn on those branches. I didn’t notice how sticky they were until I pulled the leaves from the branches. I cleaned up 9 tiny branches with popcorn and got my hands so sticky I had to use alcohol to remove the resins from my fingers. I was planning on putting the buds from these branches in a pail to wait for harvest and use it all in to make concentrate, but this stuff is very sticky so I am going to sample some of them when they dry.

These children are starting to exit the boring phase. I’ve re-potted all of them and moved them to the Veg chamber for their Bar Mitzvah. I am looking forward to seeing how much of a variety I end up with. To me, ideal would be 1 male and 2 females representing each of the fathers used in pollination. Realistically, nature is far too random to be sure of getting a pair of parents for each father’s strain.

I’m expecting visibility of sex in the next week, possibly 2. It will be interesting to note when they start to take on the characteristics of the parents. Will I be able to tell the differences between males? How long will it take to recognize which female matches which male? This is the first time in I’ve germinated so many seeds at one time when my plants were pest free. When I do that with pests present, many babies don’t reach puberty.

These will be my youngest plants when I go to Florida for my son’s wedding (11/4), along with 5 plants that will just about done when I leave. I don’t want to have very young plants to leave behind during my absence.

Happy growing my friends,
C50

10 Likes

The Mother was merely a cross of XJ13 and Penny Wise, so there should be some variety all around.

Often, the plants will “look” like mom, but not always. If you know Penny Wise, some will be 75% Penny Wise, but not from a back cross. Some will have distinctly Lemon smell. These are crossed with the Lemon Pot Pie. Others will have an Orange or Nutty flavor and would be the Agent Orange offspring. Best I can offer from memory.

3 Likes

Hi @99PerCent, nice to hear from you. The only thing I know of it is what I find at Seed Finder. It sound as great. As yet, it is like that for almost every strain. Until recently, I’d only experienced the 8ish seed types I’d bought at CBay. That is changing rapidly, since I’ve grown out 5 strains new to me this year so far.

You hadn’t mentioned the Lemon Pot Pie previously. I can’t find that, is that anything like Lemon Pie?

Just like a box of chocolates. :smiley:

2 Likes

That is one of my own also. If you find her, you will know for certain it is her. Very dominant trait. I liked it best as rosin.

3 Likes

Would it be visible as a seedling, @99PerCent? I do have a seedling that looks very different than the other 8.

P127 (rightmost) has thinner leaves. And its leaves have more of a teardrop shaped leaf. The other 8, while looking a little bit different from each other, all have leaves that are more ellipsoid. Even the smallest leaves on the top layer of P127 are visibly different than those on the others. I’ve speculated this to be different pheno showing.

4 Likes

No, that would be too easy :smile:

3 Likes

I believe I was pulling the OG Kush at about 64 days, but it was at 30% amber trichomes at that time. I figured out later that I prefer a more up high, so if I was growing it today I’d probably take it at 60 days.

3 Likes

@Sebring, good to know. Mine is currently on flower day 47. I like the buzz from letting them go to amber. I was wondering if you’d like some of my fresh seeds from it after P100 is ready. I am going to pollinate a branch on one of the OG Kush clones (P116 & P117) I have that just started Flowering last week. It would not be a problem to share some of these seeds back to you, if you’d like some.

I plan to reverse one of the Pure Kush I got from @MadScientist and use the female pollen to make more seeds from the OG Kush. From what I’ve read at Seed Finder, the Pure Kush is a particular pheno from OG Kush, so the pairing would be like a back cross of Pure Kush

@Kalgrae & @Jellypowered, due to the lack of humidity in my basement since the weather cooled off, my (BC Mango x BC Night Nurse) x Diesel Moonshine plants are close to finished curing. Wednesday, I removed about a gram of flower tips (they seem to dry the fastest in low humidity). I rolled up a doobie that was about 5mm (a little bigger that 3/16") and burned it. Halfway thru the joint, I was totally wasted! This stuff is fantastic! The buzz was way better than when I took some buds off before harvest (3 weeks ago). It really put me indica couch!

What an excellent crossing! I’m tempted to say it will be a regular inhabitant in my grows, but that’d probably be premature since every indica I’ve grown from my new seeds has been top quality. Still, I believe it to be the most potent of what I’ve grown so far!

@Gaz29, I thought you had gotten some of these seeds from @Kalgrae. If you haven’t grown any out yet, you should. I am VERY impressed with this strain.

4 Likes

Hi OG friends and family. I found this leaf on my P100 (OG Kush). Has anyone ever seen this before?

When I saw it, I had been removing some large fan leaves so hidden buds could get more light. I thought I had knocked a small bud off the plant in the process and it had landed on a leaf. I laughed out loud when I realized it the flower was actually growing on the leaf. I’ve been growing for over 16 years and this is the first time I’ve ever seen such an anomaly.

C50

8 Likes

Hey @Cobra50 bud,
Funny you mention the BC Mango/BC N.Nurse x Diesel moonshine from @Kalgrae , i just had a female toss her first pistils and up-potted it yesterday, no training, just a straight up ‘see what we have at the end of flowering’ thing, but i WILL run more, just trying a lot of different crosses/strains - seeking the sedative/pain-killing effect…
and good luck with your new indica strains bro , how’s your choco Kush .?
You have a great day my friend ,
Happy growing/smoking ,
Gaz

2 Likes

A sign of good-luck :four_leaf_clover: :star2: :dolphin: :beetle: :mushroom:

4 Likes

I can always use more of that, @Scissor-Hanz . :smile:

I think this one will help you out, @Gaz29. Just be careful not to use too much or your days will get like my last 2 did. I mostly just watched TV and napped. It is some pretty damn good weed!

I stopped putting anything new in a month ago, when the XJ medley seeds went in. I’m going to FL in just under 2 weeks for my son’s funeral, oops, I meant wedding. :wink: I’ll be gone for 3 days and I don’t want to have any delicate plants around for that. I can take a 3 day trip and not worry as long as:

• I up size the pots for the XJs the day I leave. My plants are usually good for 3 days right after an up sizing.
  • Put the Flowering plants into larger drain dishes and fill them.

If I had small seedlings, I’d worry about them the entire time I was gone. My first couple of days back I will put 3 Chocolate Kush in. I’m very interested in them myself. I will definitely reverse some branches on one of them so I can get seeds.

4 Likes

Well that makes sense bro, they’ll all be fairly mature by the time you leave for your sons’ wedding :bride_with_veil:
You have a great time in Florida ( my daughter and i might be going to Disney world again in 2019 ( prob oct time) with a lot of family etc…

I’ll keep an eye out for the choco Kush being grown out when you get round to them …
Take care and talk again soon bro …
Gaz

1 Like