Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

I would cut across the big fan leaf at the bottom to stop the leaning and concentrate growth to the top and roots, (just saying). Nice cutting btw.:seedling: (bottom left in pic).Take care doll . Mechelle x

2 Likes

@MBSeeds, thank you for your advice, but I never cut the leave on my clones. The cuttings always droop until they have roots, then they straighten right up. I am a firm believer that the more leaves a cutting has, the faster it roots. The only time Iā€™ve see this fail is when I get flyinā€™ fuckers in the clone box or I do something stupid.

I have a thread that tells my story of how I stopped cutting the leaves and got faster rooting and better growth during Veg mode. The description starts about midway down the first post. I know this method isnā€™t for everyone, but I find that since I have a humidity friendly clone box, leaf cutting is unnecessary.

Edit:

The other is better than it looks in this shot since the droop direction is facing away. :smiley:

4 Likes

Nope! I have two that have sprouted. I still have hopes for the other seven. I have been super busy so i havenā€™t taken photos yet. They are about two inches tall in full outdoor sun.

2 Likes

My last LowRyder x LaDiva showed her tap root about 3 hrs ago. It was just a barely visible nub poking out the shell, so I wasnā€™t sure itā€™d show up in a photo since I am using a very cheap camera. I just snapped itā€™s picture. This one is my plant #81. For those of you just meeting me, I took such spotty records previous to 1-1-17, that I had a difficult finding information from my 1st 15 years growing. I started up a database using Microsoft Office Access. All my plant names became numbers when I started the database. This plant is the 81st Iā€™ve worked with since 1/1/17. Even the failed and destroyed plants are recorded.

Iā€™m going to let the tap root get about 1/4"-1/2" longer before burying. That will probably be about 3:30AM

8 Likes

Feels good to see them pop out doesnā€™t it. Pretty amazing to think that little thing that looks like a Spartan Sperm is going to grow into the beautiful plant it will be!

:seedling: :sunglasses: :seedling:

2 Likes

I buried my last LR x LD at 5:42 AM today. She looked like this when I did.

Her new home for now

Now she is relaxing in the baby box with her siblings and a couple of 3 day old Purple starts.

Just make sure my Durban babies donā€™t feel left out, here they are 27 days from the root poking out of the shell.

Iā€™m going to be growing seeds out so much, I hope I donā€™t lose my clone skills. :astonished:

I hope today is nicer for you than it is here today. It is a cold 35Ā° mid-April day and it is rainy and dark. Good thing I am so stoked by my grow or my mood could take a fast nosedive in weather like this.:thunder_cloud_rain::umbrella::cloud_rain:

8 Likes

Almost. OGlog!

:laughing:

3 Likes

They both look good. Good luck :blush::+1::seedling:mechellep.s my pics are always rubbish ,!so when I think a plant looks good ,then go to take pic ,it doesnā€™t even look like a plant , never mind ,making it look good lololololā€‹:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Itā€™s been a couple of days already. Here is a group shot of all my children. My camera batteries were flashing a red icon at me so I just have the one tonight.

I donā€™t give seeds a number until they sprout. When several sprout at once, I give the lowest number to the tadpole with the longest tail. It is then a bit interesting to note that numbers 78 & 81 look as though they had sprouted at the same time now. It is probably because it took an extra 12 hours to open its shell all the way. I had to crack it to help out. I always worry that I cracked a shell to roughly until I see the round leaves open all the way. 81 took longer to grow a tap root, but her progress is going about the same as 79 & 80 had at this point. Her helmet is ready to come off any time.

73, 74, & 75 are the Durbans. They are spreading out great. And bonus, no stretching. It must be a genetic thing my two oldest strains grow up at more the same rate as they grow out. 73 and 75 are the shortest so I am guessing this will be the bushy genome. Iā€™m hoping 74 is going to be male, just 'cause it is a taller plant at this point, maybe that is why. :fingers_crossed:

Cheers :vulcan:

8 Likes

Plants are looking really good @Cobra50, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Thinking about my grow, planning future improvements (and numerous bong hits) has kept me somewhat sane. At least you didnā€™t have to plow the rain away. It was 33* here, but we got 22" of white stuff :snowman: Lookinā€™ forward to watching your grow.

1 Like

Right back atcha. Yours is looking awesome as well. Now that I know about your thread, Iā€™ll stop by often. I love watching healthy plants grow. :smiley:

That mustā€™ve been a lot of work!

On Sunday, it was about 33Ā° as well. We got a very wet snow storm. I have a D125 John Deere with a 42" plow blade. It kept stopping dead in its tracks from the wet snow packing as I pushed it. Sometimes I could just back up and get a running start to get it to move, others I had to raise the blade and move the top part and go back for the bottom part. It is almost gone now.

Ours was nothing compared to what you got. If it hadnā€™t been melting while falling, we probably wouldā€™ve gotten 5-6".

I hope yours wasnā€™t all wet and slushy too. Even with a truck/plow 22" of the snow we had, would been a difficult challenge at best.

This thread will be around for a while. @MadScientist added more seeds in both quantity and strain, so I think Iā€™ll be getting 3 strains total from him and Iā€™ll be getting 2 more strains I believe from @pookie123. I will try to have one grow from each strain in this thread as we go along. You are welcome to come and see or come and stay. :hugging:

I canā€™t say it enough times, this community is friendly, helpful and generous. Our blasted governments should takes some notes. The brotherhood here makes sure we all have an opportunity to grow the garden (or farm) of our dreams. OG is a place to be very proud of!

@MadScientistā€™s good karma for his giveaway is coming back to him as well from @pookie123.

Iā€™d also like to give a shout out to @99PerCent. He recently helped out @MBSeeds the same way @Jellypowered helped me. @MBSeeds tells that story here while she grows out her gifts:
First grow diary for Mechelle. X

Cheers and good will to all.

6 Likes

I will never be able to thank, @99PerCent for the chance to grow out his seed ,he gave me the seeds to grow and the wee glass jars to keep them in, forever gratefull. You can see them grow on my grow diary. Thank you again @99PerCent. Mechelle. As :seedling::blush::+1:x

6 Likes

New pics, freshly taken.

First, my 3 baby Durbans. Look at how far their veg leaves reach out.

And yet they remain short. These are going to be very productive plants.

Next we come to the LowRyder x LaDiva autos. They are in the boring phase where it seems to take months to get any real growth to admire

Number 78 is now lagging behind all the others. Right after the last photo I took a look at it with magnifiers and realized it was trying to grow on the inside but couldnā€™t get enough pressure on the shell to crack it the rest of the way. I gently cracked it with my hemostats and helped out of one side of the shell. It is just starting to look like new growth and is lopsided with it as one serrated leaf is much smaller than the one other side.

Such an exciting time for me to be growing out two strains unfamiliar to me. I canā€™t wait to taste them. :yum::hugging:

9 Likes

Time for another update. The Durban babies are in an awesome period. I swear, if I stay perfectly still for a few minutes, I can actually watch them grow. The pictures my camera is capable of donā€™t do the plants justice.

My little autos are still in the boring stage. They are growing regularly but slowly. I canā€™t wait for them to start taking off as well.

Number 78 is still lagging behind its siblings, however it can now be seen that it is growing. It is growing lopsided due to being stuck in the shell. The first serrated leaves are growing in. One is normal size, the second leaf is stunted, but is also showing signs of growth.

I got word from @Baudelaire today that my new lights and seeds shipped today. The Sol Sheet is going over the autos.

Iā€™m not certain whether I am more excited about the lights or the seeds. I love indicas and itā€™s been a long time since I a mostly indica plant to enjoy. :yum::heart_eyes::smoking:

Edit: Had to reduce picture sizes and re-upload them

8 Likes

I love to watch the plants grow and move.

2 Likes

itā€™s hard for me to not associate those numbers with years, as in, 19_ _ā€¦ :slight_frown:

:older_man:ā€™ wherl, weh beck in non-tin-fiff-ta-great

My money is on #1978, a strange and discoey time.

:wink:

c.s

2 Likes

It is the best reality show out there. Especially on a day that I am hitting on concentrate. :dizzy_face:

Well, Iā€™m only 19 plants away from triple digits, if that helps. I used to not name my plants at all, other than ā€œthe little oneā€, ā€œthe bushy oneā€, etc. I realized just how crappy my record keeping was when I retired, and decided it was time to find out what was causing my woes and I could give myself any kind of help from my records. Iā€™m using a database now and it just made sense to me to give them numbers for names. It makes it super easy to look up info on any plant, including any that didnā€™t make it full term.

5 Likes

Hellllooo OverGrow!

I have some updates on my two gifted seed grows going now.

I re-potted the baby Durbans (from @Jellypowered) last night. They have gotten a really large leaf span and I worried they might be finding the 4" pots too tight. I definitely have 2 different types. Numbers 73 & 74 are shorter, bushy plants and #75 that is taller and looks like it will be a columnar type.

It has been 40 days since I put them into germination and 14 days since they started Veg mode.

Number 73 has already shown his sex (Yay!! A pollen factory. :tada:). I tried to photograph his primordia using my 20x handheld digital microscope. It was incredibly difficult to hold the camera and plant close, focus, and shoot. At magnification, every slight tremble destroys the image. I shot over a dozen pics to get this one and it is still very slightly out of focus, but is good enough to identify the male sex. Iā€™m going to start flowering him tomorrow for a pollen harvest.

I am also positive #74 is a female. I could see her sex with 10x magnifier specs, but could not get a legible photo. Her primordia is so small and hidden by the tiny blade leaves. She was getting all stressed out from my 15 attempts, so I just stopped. Iā€™ll try again tomorrow or the next day.

The tall one is still being shy and has given me no sign of its sex yet.

All the leaves so far are very wide. This surprises me because the Durbans are sativa dominant. I always thought sativas had very thin leaves and indicas had the wide leaves.

Ok, now we come to the autos (from @ReikoX). They are 2 weeks since I put them into germ. They are still in a boring phase. Number 78 is looking much better than before. The lopsidedness from being stuck in her shell is growing out nicely, but slowly as the second layer of serrated leaves looks totally normal.

I made a change in the clone box today. I donā€™t think the plants like those multi-colored lights more than I hate then. Nothing looks right under them. I changed to a 30W 6500K led corn lamp. Man is it bright in there now! It is much brighter than the 65W daylight CFL I was using.

I received my SolSheet today. Iā€™ll be moving the autos under it as soon as I get it hung.

I also received my order of Sweet Tooth #4 as well. 80% indica! :fireworks: Iā€™m going to squeeze them in right after the autos have reached 30 days because I am a big indica fan.

10 Likes

iā€™m with you on the surpriseā€¦iā€™d bet thereā€™s a little bit of afghanica/indica/broadleaf DNA in there. the durban cut i got from a dispensary has the thin leaves, nodes-nodes-nodes, slooooow growth at cooler temps, lighter feeding reqs(easy to burn), takes 11-12 wks flowering time, smells of orange and rubber/?isoprene?, strong head high. THCv is what i believe iā€™m chasing after.
iā€™d get pics put iā€™m camera-less. flipphone doesnā€™t cut it. :wink:

:evergreen_tree:
c.s

2 Likes

It looks like the tipical ā€œDutchā€™s Durbanā€, what uses to be a cross between " a Durban" n a Skunk (Afghan geno), endin in 8 - 10 weeksā€¦

5 Likes