Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

I’m very interested in the Durban Poison story; i understand that Ed Rosenthal gathered the seeds on a stop in S.A.(late 1970s-80), Mel Frank then grew them out, selected & bred some, according to Mel Frank(youtube/Talking Cannabis).

From there on, I don’t know. Mel also states that Ed didn’t really do much except take photos for their book. heh.

1 Like

Friend, it will be the history of their Durban Poison. Are differents lines worked outside S.A. I have Durban Poison’70…

3 Likes

@cannabissequoia, these are FDM Seeds, I wonder if @Baudelaire is following this thread. Hey, B420, what do you say about the really wide leave my Durban babies are displaying? Is this typical for these plants? I haven’t had a plant with leaves this wide since I lost my Karpov strain (70% indica).

Seeds remind me of Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates. :smile:

I am making the best of my camera and using a Celestron hand held microscope for my extreme closeups. I just started using with the primordia shot above. I know I’ll get better at holding it still for my photos eventually and it does give a great closeup shot. I see @Jellypowered got a newer camera. He is getting some awesome pics with it!

So true. I was trying to find out specifics on the Headband and I found out that there are 2 apparently different strains with the same name. The reason I say that because many of the HB strains say “mostly indica” while the one (the one known also as “707 Headband” and its derivatives) are mostly sativa. I don’t get why that is.

Edit: I had written Headband #2 when it is just Headband.

2 Likes

I have a few more pictures of my gifted grows.

First up is the Durbans. They are on veg day 17, 42 days since germination.

You’ll notice there are only 2 on the stand. Number 73 has been moved to the flowering room until he matures enough to move before flowering. I’ll need to move it to my bedroom window after that and close the door to keep the 6 month old kittens off of it. The boy kitty forced me to move the philodendron to my vegging area to keep him out of it. :smirk_cat: Little brat.

74’s primordia were big enough for me to finally capture a photo of. It is so small that it makes the blade leaf in front, right of it look huge.

Number 75 is still being shy. Those 2 are probably following one heritage strain while #75 is following a different heritage line. There were seeds from 3 different pairings of Durban in the mix packet. I wonder if I’ll get to see the 3rd when I grow out the remaining seeds.

Let’s turn our focus on the Low Ryder x La Diva babies.

The only real change to see in this picture is that they are now in my veg grow and my new SolSheet is lighting them up. They are making the slow progress that is typical of this stage.

In this view you can see how the lopsided condition of #78 (front) is getting harder to see. The 2nd set of serrated leaves looks totally normal now. It is so invigorating having new strains in my grow! :sunny:

Edit: Removed a statement about 75 because it wasn’t accurate.

9 Likes

Thanks, :hushed:

…So please describe your Durban70, and anything else about the variety would be much appreciated. :slight_smile: I like it so much that I would fly to Durban S.A. and Strain-Hunt if I could. :dark_sunglasses::smoking::atm::airplane::palm_tree::herb::herb::herb::herb:

hehe

:evergreen_tree:
c.s

2 Likes

Cinderella from my very first grow, December 2013. Seeds gifted to me.

11 Likes

Very pretty girls, You must be a very proud papa, @99PerCent. :sunglasses:

I was, 5 years ago. Now, I am a buzzed grower with too much product, lol.

4 Likes

LOL! I’m sure there are a lot of people here wishing they had that problem. :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Mine cames from Tropical Seeds Company. I will grow it this year inna The Dogs’ House…

Is that a stable/inbred type? I would like to ask about it’s growth habits, leaf description, etc? Light nutrient feeding?

!buenos!

1 Like

@MiG is right. The Durban in the Durban Mix is Sensi’s Durban, circa 1997. It was always broad-leaved in habit, and shorter in maturity, 8-10 weeks, than “other Durbans”, but the head was straight sativa, strong, clear and bright without being over the top, and with the classic Durban anise taste notes. Sensi has long stated it was “never hybridized” but the broad leaves and demonstrably shortened maturity period always suggested otherwise to me.

The mixes are a true “box of chocolates” and any few individuals coming out of them will express only a selection of phenotypes from a fairly wide spectrum of traits. The next 5 seeds you sow may render all narrow-leaved tropical-style sativa phenos, or variations in between. Keep in mind that the mix includes several mothers ranging from California Orange to C99 to Durban-Thai Highflyer. Keep the best, bin the rest…

-b420

12 Likes

So much Durban Poison info in one morning…I almost can’t handle it. Thanks again. I find it very very calming, surprising to some, and have pursued it because i’ve read that it’s heavy in THCv and sought strongly by nerve-pain sufferers and PTSD too(have both). occaisonally it can become a “racy” high for me, mostly in very high doses(1g+).

I’ll stop Durban-ing now. :slight_smile:
c.s

4 Likes

there’s this stuff called “hash”… :rolling_eyes:

(stores longer, potentially more $/gm(if thats your thing)).

and of course cannabi-charity always feels good. my first grow, i gave away about a lb and it was one of the most satisfying aspects of the whole deal…giving CLEAN meds to good folks.

since subcool used cindy/cindy-crosses in a lot of his foundation, what was your overall opinion of it? The Brothers were my 2nd choice this year.

4 Likes

This plant was the result of some crosses of Brothers Grimm gear from years ago.

@Muleskinner can probably run you the gory details.

Store, huh?

PuffPuffPass

1 Like

@Baudelaire, sounds delicious. :yum: I tend to get stuck in lazy mode when I get high. That is perfect for sometimes, but not for getting things done. This sounds like a good high for doing just that.

I like boxes of chocolate. My favorite are always the fruity flavored ones. Thank you for the added lowdown on my Durbans. You’ve really whetted my appetite for them.

Spoken like a true stoner. Pass it here next. :smoking:

2 Likes

Now for the latest update on my gifted seed grows.

Number 75 finally stopped being shy and showed her sex on 5/1. That is all info I needed to put them into Flowering. I’ve gotten tired of waiting. This is the last veg photo of these plants.

They are so healthy. Their brother has been in flowering for 5 days ahead of them. I won’t be photographing them as often now because they will have to come out of flowering to get decent pics.

It feels very strange to put plants into flowering without taking a cutting, but clones are out of the question right now as they would just slow down my growing out of all my different seeds. Still, I have this nagging feeling that I forgot something…

My LR x LD autoflower babies are doing very well. They’re not growing up really fast, but they all are on the 3rd set of serrated leaves, so they should start to grow bigger very soon. They seem to really love the SolSheet.

I get more excited by the day to have very different strains from the 2 I’ve been growing for so long.

9 Likes

They should take off here soon, by about three weeks you should see sex.

3 Likes

Yeah, they have enough leaves to start growing now. I just find plants a bit boring until then…

3 Likes

Here we are again, several days since my last update. 73, 74, and 75 wanted to show you their new home, so I snapped a photo just before the lights came on for this Flower cycle.

Number 73 has been in Flowering for 8 days already at this point. On close inspection, I see I am going to need to remove him from the flowering room in the next few days as some of his buds are getting very mature.

Numbers 78, 79, 80 and 81 are just exiting the boring phase of infancy. Since the 3rd set of serrated leaves came in they are starting to grow at a quicker pace. The top view lets you see the leaf span while the front view give you a sense of how tall they are at the moment.

I find it quite interesting that the newer leaves are turning such a different color so fast. And, to my eye, that color is pleasing. I’m very sorry to say that the colors aren’t as readily visible as they are naked eye. My camera is a good general purpose device. My next camera will be more of a macro camera

13 Likes