Growing out the seeds that were gifted to me

are these hand-watered or on a hydro setup? eager ladies… :sunglasses:

:evergreen_tree:

@cannabissequoia, They are hand watered. I had been growing in soil for about 15 years when I switched to coco. It was easy to switch because it is so similar to soil growing.

2 Likes

Hi all. Time for another update.

First I’d like to thank @Scissor-Hanz. He increased my Headband seeds by around 100 beans. He told me they are extremely hard to germinate due to having been stored room temperature and he wanted to be sure I’d get some to grow. I am storing them in the frig now with desiccant and will be growing them out as soon as the Sweet Tooth #4 babies I purchased from FDM Seeds are a 3 weeks old. They are just poking up from the surface of the coco now.

Also, the 5 Pure Kush seeds @MadScientist was going to be sending out has changed to 3 Pure Kush fem seeds, 3 ChemDawg fem seeds and 15 regular seeds from @Pedro_Bann that are a cross between a male Whazzup’s Kronocaine x (Dinafem Big Kush x Sannie’s Herijuana), so I will be having 3 strains from that giveaway. They are a postal trip away. So sweet!!

I moved the Durban male (number 73) to my bathroom under a cool white and a warm white CFL on 5/8/18. He is safe from the playful kittens there. It was getting too close to flowering to leave it with the ladies.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of pollen to make more Durban seeds. I have an order if 5 gram glass jars with lids coming specifically for the pollen that should be here tomorrow.

The LowRyder x La Diva (@ReikoX’s seeds) have reached the point where they have noticeably grown each time I look at them. This is my favorite time in the life of seedlings. It is also my favorite time when babies, puppies, and kittens are growing up. :relaxed:

Check out the 2 pics below taken 3 days apart.

These little autos are not growing as fast as the Durbans, but they are growing plenty fast. They have just gotten to the point where roots are peeking out the drain holes. Normally I’d be changing the pots now, but I read in another thread about autos that they get all sorts of stressed out from re-potting. I need to ask @ReikoX’s opinion about re-potting before doing that.

10 Likes

En mi opinión, lo mejor para maximizar la producción de autos es plantarlas desde el principio en el mayor recipiente definitivo posible… Pero en tu caso, al ser la actual maceta pequeña, yo si trasplantaría…

In my opinion, the best thing to maximize the production of autos is to plant them from the beginning in the largest possible container … But in your case, being the current small pot, I would transplant …

4 Likes

maybe he could consider the “B.O.G.” method of simply cutting the bottom 1" of the container off? (…replanting on top of a larger pot).

https://overgrow.com/t/bogs-double-potting-technique/714

1 Like

What you are trying to avoid is stress. If you can gently transplant them and not shock them you are fine. In your case, I would transplant right now being very gentle and use a mycorrhizae innoculant on the roots. If you are gentle it they shouldn’t skip a beat. Do it quick, they will start flowering any day now. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

Hello @ReikoX. I’ll do that today, except for #79 (the tall one). I took a close look at the autos today (being as they are so small, I didn’t think it necessary earlier) and realized number 79 is male and has a couple of large buds. The remaining 3 are not showing yet so I am assuming they are fem but a few more days should tell.

Seems like a good time to change from a veg feed to a flowering feed.

@MiG I should have asked more questions before starting them. I assumed they would grow the same as the other cannabis plants I’ve grown. :frowning: You know what they say about assuming. :disappointed:

They seem like they are going to stay small, so next time I’ll start them in 6" pots.

I’ll check the root structure of the 1st one I transplant. If the roots are far enough from the sides of the pot, I’ll try it on the other 2 I’m transplanting. Otherwise, contacting the roots with a knife or scissors would probably stress them out more than just transplanting.

Keep feeding with your veg nutes as they need it for the stretch etc, I’d swap to bloom nutes when a couple of weeks into flower…
Good luck with the auto’s…
Gaz
Ps I transplant auto’s a lot and it’s just like up-potting any plant :seedling:, be careful and it’ll carry on growing fine… ( jmo )…

7 Likes

@Gaz29, thanks for the tip.

@ReikoX, @cannabissequoia, @MiG @Gaz29, I re-potted the 3 female autos Thursday and they went so good, they look better afterwards, so I went ahead and re-potted the male. It also went like a normal re-potting. If I had never read that they get freaked out over re-potting, I’ve have just gone ahead and re-potted and not known it was supposed to be avoided.

I use HydroGuard from Botanicare for my root inoculant. It is a bacteria, Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens. I started using it when I thought I may have have root rot (turned out to be thrips in the end).
https://www.botanicare.com/products/hydroguard/?lang=null

Before I bought it, I told the customer service person that I had gnats and possibly root rot. She told me is is good for both. She wasn’t wrong.

I transplanted plants that were on the verge of death and sprayed them generously with the Hydroguard. They generally start looking better within a day.

I used it for this re-potting chore and they looked better than they had in the white pots just hours later. I LOVE the stuff. I’ll be posting photos later today.

Edit: typos

3 Likes

Good evening all. I re-potted my Durban females 2 days ago. I had left them in the 6" pots for the first 9 days of Flowering hold back the size until they started to actually flower. In the short span, 74, the shorter indica structure plant, has grown 2 inches while 75, the tall sativa structured plant has grown 3.25 inches.

Here are some pictures of the day I re-potted them.

This is number 74 before changing pots.

She has a very healthy root structure.

And here is #75 before re-potting.

Along with her root structure

Now it has been only 2 days and look how happy they are.

Don’t they look like different families? Hard to imagine they are the same genes. They look very different than my 2 original plants. 74 still grows very wide leaves at the top of the plant, 75’s leaves on top are thin, more sativa looking.

Reminds me of a litter of kittens my cat had when I was in my late 20s. Five kittens and every one looked like it had a different father. :slight_smile:

As promised, here is photographic proof my autos survived re-potting:

I read that other thread and let myself get panicked. The re-potting went the way all my transplants go since using HydroGuard. They were a little more difficult to handle than a normal transplant, because the root structure was still very small, extending to the bottom good, but not reaching the sides of the little pots yet. Their coco cascaded around my hand as I was putting them in the larger pots. But, I never touch the roots on any plant with my bare hands, I hold the stalk between the thumb and forefinger just about the surface, so no damage happened during the move.

I will not be so leery of re-potting autos in the future, however, starting them in their ending pot is no big thing either. These are very cute little plants! I have the male in the foreground in this picture. It is impossible to miss it being male now. It is twice as tall as its next tallest sibling.

I am putting 4 weeks between each grow of seeds and I just started my purchased Sweet Tooth #4. I will be starting the Headband seeds in 3 weeks. @Jellypowered gave me more than a dozen of Headband seeds he had gotten from @Scissor-Hanz. I asked @Scissor-Hanz, for characteristics of growing and smoking to put the info in my database. He told me they were stored at room temps with no desiccant and they will be very difficult to germinate. So much so, that he sent me a lot more of them. I didn’t count, but I’ll bet is was about a million. Or at least, about 100 or so.:smiley: I should have no problem getting a few plants from all those. :wink: I am looking forward to finding out why these are his favorite. It sounds from his description that it will surely be one of mine as well. :yum:

I ordered a bunch of small containers and a pound of color changing blue silica gel beads that arrived yesterday. I promptly moved my seeds into little air tight paint pots with at least 1 bead for every 2 seeds. And closer to 1:1 with the Headband seeds to avoid losing anymore of their viability.

The other small containers I received are in anticipation of sharing seeds in the near future. :smiley: They will survive mailing quite well.

14 Likes

Are you getting any smells off the Durban’s yet? Both 74 and 75’s structure remind me of the CaliO. So I’m wondering if you are getting that wonderful orange Tang smell? Baud says their are some CaliO genes in the mix.

I grew A77’s CaliO for years just because of the smell. Not especially potent but a good yielder and the smell was intoxicating.

3 Likes

@ray Not yet, but they are only on flower day 11. When they get buds that look like buds, I’m sure they they will speak to my nose as well.

Good things to know, thank you. I hope they do get that orange smell!!! With my Rosin press and my still at ready, a good yielding plant sounds like an awesome amount of extract!

2 Likes

Autos are looking good. They a cute little plants to stick in the corner. That male sure started flowering fast, he will start speeding pollen here soon if not dealt with.

3 Likes

@ReikoX: Yeah it did! One day no sign of primordia at all, the very next day it had impossible to miss flowers at the crook of each limb where it meets the stalk. I had to look back at the pics from the day before to see if I just wasn’t paying attention. It now looks as flowered as #73, the male Durban.

I’m not sure right now what to do with him. The only other lamp on a similar light cycle is the clone box. I can run the timer program on its power strip and make it the same. For the moment, I have turned off the fans in Veg and put a big white bib on him which I only take off for photos. At worst, the females all get fully seeded. Not a bad result.

I’ve been thinking about building a removable corner Plexiglas enclosure using 2 of the cabinet walls as part of it. I just need to rummage through that corner full of no longer used grow equipment to find the alum angle corner connectors I made for the original clone box that used to be in the Veg chamber. Right now I’m exhausted form yard work, but tomorrow I’ll find them.

At the moment, finding a good spot for a male grow is difficult. My son and his woman are moving to Florida in 10 days (5/24) and the kittens are going with them, so I’ll have several good locations for a male grow come available then.

1 Like

The mystery is over. :mega: I know beyond a doubt the sexes of my autos. Number 80 is the only female. Yep, three boys, one girl. Looking like I’ll pollinate 80 using 78 because they are both full, bushy plants. Since I have only the one fem this round, I’ll let her fully seed out.

@ReikoX That they are. The cannabis equivalent to a toy breed of dog.

6 Likes

That made my morning. :grin::grin::grin:

4 Likes

Glad I could start your day off with a smile, @ReikoX

@ReikoX, I found a couple of powder puddles in the white paper “bib”. :smiley: The other 2 males have the tiniest male buds. Number 81’s tiny buds look very mature, but very small. The next few days observations should be interesting.

The buds on the male plant that first showed, are large, like the flowers on my male Durban.

Speaking of the male Durban, I found a bunch of pollen on the bibs I put on it today. I’ve pollinated one of the higher branches on each of the females already, so the seeds will get to be very mature by harvest day.

3 Likes

Hi all,

I’ve spent a lot of time going in and out of the grows that have males this week milking them for pollen. The male Durban, #73, is particularly productive, while the tall male auto LR x LD, number 79, is kind of stingy, just opening about 4-6 a day for the last 4-5 days. The small male auto, #80, hasn’t opened any of his tiny buds at all yet, even though some its buds have looked like they’d be ready soon ready for several days.

Here is the male Durban lounging in his makeshift flowering area.

It is in front of a storage shelf in the closet off my bedroom restroom. The closet was the sight of my first grow. I kind of wish it was free to turn back into a flowering room for the males that will be passing through. But, it’s not, but my son’s room will be empty starting the 24th, so maybe I’ll turn that closet into a male flower grow.

And here are my twins:

Oops, wrong twins. You can see how I’d find it an easy mistake to make. :wink:

These two look about as much alike as the former twins. Number 74 has slowed her stretch and currently measures 23.5" tall. 75 is at an amazing 40" already. These plants are only 17 days flowering. I have avoided any pruning on these ladies because I’d like to see them au naturale, but if 75 keeps growing at this rate, I may end up topping it to keep it in my space.

I found something interesting while pollinating these two ladies. Despite their difference in size, they appear to have the same number of bud sights on each plant per branch, like #74 look exactly like 75 except she has short wood sections. Probably just a coincidence…

The LowRyder x LaDiva autos are moving along nicely.

The female, 80, and the male, 78, are still quite small. I raised them to within 8" of the SolSheet 3 days ago and they seem to be growing taller now, but she is only 6.5" tall at 37 days. They are my first grow of autos, so I have no idea how much she will grow yet. Since #78, the short male, hasn’t made any pollen puddles yet, I decided to pollinate her from #79. Maybe the cross will give her girl babies some of daddy’s height.

I destroyed the last male #81. The only reason I am keeping the short male growing is I want to see if his flowers get to be full size like those on 79. The flowers on 79 change color as they get ready to open, changing from yellowish green to a shade of either blue or purple. Very pretty.

10 Likes

…the suspense is :dagger: killing me… :sunglasses:

i’m almost as curious as you about how they’ll smoke…

have you taken clones for a backcrossing? :dog2: ruh-roh

@cannabissequoia, I’m thinking you are asking about the Durban because autos are not good for cloning. No I haven’t. I have a very limited amount of space to work with that prevents me from doing any clones while growing out the seeds I have. When I have found out which plants are my favorites, I’ll do it with them.