Growing Trees with Meesh 2021

That’s odd to me because irises will grow is dry clay here or in just fallen leaves . You may try and put them in a large pot with good soil and they should flourish from seeing you’re other plants I am truly surprised irises don’t do well for you

1 Like

For a lot of bulbs, they like a cold snap or a certain amount of chill hours that we just don’t get. From what I’ve noticed irises like a more Sandy soil than what I have here. Especially the German bearded ones. I never could get those to flower

2 Likes

Mine are green year round . But I guess I can see what little cold we get to make them go semi dormant and then spring to get then to bloom hmm

1 Like

Completely unrelated to growing, but I know I have a good mix of different age range folks here on my thread. So, I’m pushing 50 (few more months) and I’ve noticed that I’ve become much more sensitive to noise, jumpy at times, I still like to crank my tunes every now and then, but not like I used to. Traffic and freeways make me a lot more anxious etc… Is this an age thing? Inside I can feel like I’m 20 at times, but mostly, I feel kind of crotchety in the “Get off my lawn, kids” kind of way. Anyone else?

11 Likes

Hey Meesh I’m the back side of 75 and jumpy as hell close to being a traffic hazard lol .

8 Likes

In some ways, I am much more patient at 50 and in other ways I am intolerant as hell. Just have no energy, time or patience for any nonsense whatsoever.

9 Likes

As I’m getting older (44 at the minute) my patience is getting shorter. I’ll be 100% cantankerous by the time I hit 50 :rofl:
I’m a lot more aware now of what’s going on around me compared to when I was younger and things that never used to bother me in the slightest make me jump. Fireworks nearly give me a heart attack even when I know they are being set off in a controlled manner. :thinking:

5 Likes

I ended up planting the following seeds: Direct sowed Larkspur into my wheelbarrow planter. Scattered bachelor button seeds all over the wildflower patch. In an egg carton, I separated out 6 tiny coleus seeds (they are so small, not sure they are actually in there. lol), 4 annual phlox seeds and 2 texas blue bonnet seeds. I also made an entire pot of starter mix and scattered an entire pack of sweet alyssum in there. These usually go crazy crowding each other and spilling over with delicate flowers. I sprinkle these seeds everywhere and on everything in my garden. They are so versatile and grow all year long. Love this delicate filler/aka groundcover.

4 Likes

:thinking: I’m no expert but I think if you dig them up in fall & store in a cool/dark/dry place that may help,(?) Some folks dig them up in summer & I’ve been told to trim off the stalk of the flower as soon as it’s faded, unless you’re making seeds. :man_shrugging:

Definitely worth looking into.

@Esrgood4u that’s gotta make you proud! :grin:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I just add a few inches of manure late fall and seems to work for me.

In professional landscaping they plant more.

4 Likes

Massively bro. @Meesh friend did an excellent job with them. :+1:

4 Likes

Have you thought of, at the ‘end of season’ for the bulb plants. To dig the bulbs up and refrigerate for a few months? Then replant in the spring? they usually die off everything above ground anyhow.
The wife did that for hers in the hotter climates, no ‘winter’ to speak of, we lived in on occasiion, and it worked fine. Re-flowered every year for many years…

5 Likes

Love the description on the blue dream meesh. Hope I can accomplish the same!

3 Likes

We used to do this to dahlias for the opposite reason, they wouldn’t survive the winter.

3 Likes

don’t hold your breath on that one

sounds perfect - yeah you need to push it to get the garlic to come through, it takes a bit longer but I think it is worht the wait

7 Likes

Blue Dream and Sunshine Daydream went in to cure today Kashmir is at 10 days drying tomorrow but I’m going to give it like 2 extra days as the buds are so dense just to make sure.

The cheese :cheese: has been curing for about a week now and every day when I open the bucket it is stinkier and stinkier. Yay!

16 Likes

Perhaps Monkey puzzles?? Those are really cool!

Actually, I was a bit off. I found one of the plant tags. It was a series of Coleus with “Sea” in the title. One was called Under the Sea and the other I think was called Sea Monkey. :blush:

5 Likes

Alright Orange Goji and garlic starting to rot pretty good now. Take down this weekend or they’ll be nothing left

9 Likes

Ma Petite has a bit, but holding up well. Last 4 just need to come down

7 Likes