Growing with Air-Pots? Suggestions & tips please & thank you!

.3 gallon watering 4x a day

6 Likes

HOLLY FUCKING SHIT @corgitron !

1 Like

Wow! I have some of those I start seedlings out in. Pretty damn impressive for that little pot! I have a Lavneder Frosting in one now but I tortured the poor thing with 12/12 it’s whole life and other things that kept it small. Got me thinking now!

I just wanted to test how far i could take them. This was about 3 months in the . 3 gallon.

3 Likes

Oh yeah I figured a nice long veg but still impressive.

1 Like

Ill be completely honest i really only use them on a reset. Lately i have been going solo cup to 5x5 to 3 gallon. Letting them root out in every pot before transplant. I think the air pruning is nice, but i get a nice growth pop in transplant.

4 Likes

So I’ve taking all the info given + more from the interwebs and am currently using 2x #5 pots (green bottom) with my Kosher Kush clones for their S1 seedrun…

…and then I started brainstorming something that mixes soil & hydro that I’m jokingly calling:

"The OMEGA-POT System".

I’m CERTAIN i’m not the first to come up with this; but I’m rather surprised that I haven’t seen it yet. This one is made up of:

1x 10" bucket lid net-pot (to be filled with hydroton),
1x 70L (18.5gal) tub for the reservoir,
1x 30L AirPot side (black bottom, to be filled with Promix BX overtop of hydroton)

The bucket lid net pot fits into the the bottom most layer similarly the way the actual air-pot’s bottom would fit but it’s a tad thicker.

While the 30L gives me a decent amount of overlap and does hold the net pot lid firmly, I don’t want any fuckery when checking roots so I used 4x quick-ties to secure them both together. (image is before I cut off the ties excess)

I centred the net pot lid, figured out the amount needed for the lip; jig sawed out the bit I needed removed and then cleaned up the edges a bit.

NEXT STEPS
Make 2 more holes in the resevoir lid; one for top-ups and PH/PPM checks, and the other for a floating fill indicator made out of a foam ball and skeleton arm from the dollar store. Idea is to measure the tub and mark along the arm the totals… so when the hand looks like it’s reaching for help I’ll need to top-up!

I’d ideally want a mecha-hand doing the thumbs up but really I’m not gonna buy a T-800 action figure just to make an awesome reference. :laughing:

10 Likes

This is so fucking weird. I went to be last night thinking about turning an airpot into an octopot, and looking at your post time (9hrs ago at this point) that means I was randomly thinking about it while you were posting your pics. The universe is an interesting place sometimes!

My thoughts were similar but I would go with the 1 Liter airpots and do a few in one tote. I also thought about using one of the flatter long totes for under bed storage to keep the height down and give me space between plants. If I could find one that was roughly 2x4 to fit my tent that would be ideal.

I’m definitely curious to see how it does for you. With the 1L pots I wasn’t worried about losing soil out of the bottom but how will you keep the soil in the bigger pot?

1 Like

A FUCK TONNE OF HYDROTON and making sure the medium is decently wet through before I pack it into the system to plant.

I’m loving this “pyramids all over at the same time” moment we’re are having you and I. I did think about the smaller pots and smaller tubs but I already love my 4 site RDWC and decided to make something different.

Another reason I went with the singular large air-pot was the convenience of being able to use a bucket net pot lid. The blue bottoms are a perfect fit, but out of stock everywhere in my area so I got a used black bottom for 1/2 price from my local supplier (*they always hook me up with used as they know I don’t care so long as the price is right; sometimes free!).

If I were to go with multiple sites on one tub i’d end going nuts trying to match net pot size with air-pot size :laughing:

One day I’ll put this into the 4x4 and do a 1plant scrog; another round it’ll be buried in my yard and the tree grows through the outdoors season (I’m doing this in 2022 IF I can find Manitoba Poison in time as that’ll be done the start of sept.); and theoretically I may be able to put this in my shorter 2x4 tent with LST/Scrog and the right genetics.

In my experience with hydro the smaller the res the bigger the problems. Never had anything as stable as my 80-120L res for my RDWC so I went with a 70L tote which will prob be running 50-60L when in play.

Another thing I didn’t mention is that I plan to install a pump with aerator (or) 2-4 airstones to keep things moving and o2 levels up.

1 Like

I was hoping the smaller pots wouldn’t be as negatively effected by the smaller res but I’ve never dabbled with anything outside of straight soil. I definitely figured a pump would be involved though. The single plant scrog would be great for your setup though I would think. I know what a 5 gal airpot can grow on it’s own so I can only imagine with the hybrid media what it can do.

You’re putting hydroton in the net and soil in the pot right?

1 Like

Correct!

My logic is that the hydroton will be packed together enough to prevent pre-moistened promix from falling into the res and additionally wick up the water into the soil mass to create a graduating moisture layers similar to nature.

The air-pot design guarantees both no root circulating around the media and the pots themselves can’t rot out like I’ve read some DIY octopot set-ups do when you use the “wrong” fabric pot.

This is the end goal dream (not my photo):

The if I find a cheap enough pump, I may make a fall-ponics array where there is a pump at one end of the tub with a tube coming up and out of the tub to run across the lid and pour back into the res on the opposite side to increase circulation and aeration beyond the air-stones (or) aeration pump in play. I may make this as a t, so there are 2 waterfall sites on either side of the far end. It’s more tubing but I got it around in bulk.

2 Likes

Look at the spread on that bastard! Pretty much what I imagined but actually seeing it kicked it up a notch lol

The way the airpot’s sides are will probably help with soil retention to a degree as well I would Imagine. Promix is probably a good call being a little fluffier than some other soils.

3 Likes

Well did it work man? I have airpots and was thinking about doing this or something similar to create an octopot type hybrid…

1 Like

So far the system is working but the plant in it is stalled due to re-veg + cold shock. I have that tent now running at 22/2 on/off so the temps stay 22c on and drop down to 18c off.

The wicking action is clearly working as i cannot lift the air-pot from the bin and the water level indicator steadily falls over the week.

I’ll take some shots and pop them up here soon. @CADMAN is gonna build something similar but a multisite system. Next time bins are on sale I’m gonna grab another one to make a secondary 4x site lid for this new made kit :+1:

2 Likes

Where did you get that bottom black piece?

1 Like

The 10" bucket lid net pot? My local hydroponics store. You should be able to find em anywhere. I used this because the outer diameter matches a blue bottom air pot

1 Like

Yeah I have the yellow and green I think… 3 and 5 gal equivalent

1 Like

You’ll need to cut that bucket lid for it to fit. Since starting this thread i’m now using every size airpot except the stupid big one. Personal faves are orange and yellow now.

1 Like

I may bend your later on it if it’s ok

1 Like

Anytime friend.

1 Like