Guaranteed the Feds are going to legalize

I have been growing since 1970, and only ever in prohibition states.
At this point I no longer really care all that much about the current state of
“legal” cannabis, as it’s become quite the fiasco, seemingly intended to primarily benefit
the state and its cronies over any true emancipation of the self sufficient home grower.

I am resigned to the fact that I will likely never enjoy the unrestricted freedom that ensues from true legalization. I currently live and grow in two vehemently anti home grow states; SC and FL, and regardless, I will continue to keep my head down and do what I do.

At this juncture I have become very apathetic, and simply no longer care.
IMO, our local, state and fed governments are now irretrievably dishonest (at the very least).

25 Likes

texas ag department made an official statement…i think it’s on their web site, that they don’t know if households are allowed to grow hemp. they sited it as a grey area since households gardeners are not farmers. proving a cannabis plant is marijuana can be pretty difficult and expensive ih some places…and if you have a good lawyer it might not even be possible. i would insist count the roots, stalks and everything else to determine the thcd9 content. everything else is legal in texas…need a lawyer though.

4 Likes

Bottom line. Everything else is peripheral, and mostly seems like a tug o war over power and money, a game I’m not playing

th-4201773686

It won’t stand because it’s weaker than nature, both plant and human.

5 Likes

Massachusetts legalized through voter ballot initiative, and allows 6 flowering plants per adult over 21, up to 12 per household (sorry Western MA hippie houses). Vermont legalized through the legislature, allows limited homegrow.

NH keeps trying to legalize, but so far they haven’t succeeded. Last time there was a proposal it would have all sales through the state liquor stores (you can buy beer and wine everywhere, but hard liquor you have to buy from the state), no homegrow.

Just pointing out it isn’t as simple as blue or red.

ETA: I’ve always found it odd that some of the states that crow the loudest about respecting individual liberties… haven’t legalized cannabis.

10 Likes

While I get why federal legalization seems appealing… I’m not sure it’s as great as people think. If the feds legalize, they’ll create a regulatory scheme above and beyond the states. They’ll make specific laws, e.g.about homegrowing, that may well be far more restrictive than some states. States can’t make more liberal laws where there is governing federal law, they can only make more restrictive laws.

Merely decriminalizing at the federal level, and leaving it up to the states… that might be the best option (sorry people who live in draconian states).

Also we’ll all get flooded with California’s oversupply. Cheap perhaps, but also not that great.

7 Likes

When i was 19 years old i was pulled over walking home one night by a cop in town.I had a Protopipe that had some resin in it cop git some ash out if it and they decided that was enough for a possession.That little ticket followed me for 20 years.Lost a lot of opportunities for good jobs on the backround check.I never had a record or even so much as a speeding ticket then i worked payed my taxes and tried to stay out of trouble

10 Likes

Met a hundred with same story , its sad . @CapnCannabis

8 Likes

Yeah, not interested in how everybody plans to make money. I just want the half life of false judgement sentencing burned dead to the ground. We’re going about it ass backwards and look like dummies to the aliens looking at us from a vacuum. Lol :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Huh… I hadn’t thought about it much… but I don’t think federal legalization would have an effect on state drug charges/records? I suppose it might depend on the wording of the state’s statute(s)?

1 Like

yet none of that happens if they revoke the 1938 law that made it a schedule 1.

2 Likes

Do you mean the 1937 tax act? Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t think Congress passed the CSA (and created scheduling) until 1970?

If you did mean the tax act, how likely is the federal government to simply throw open the doors without any new controlling laws, or taxes, or regulatory schemes?

2 Likes

yeah, that one. the one that started it all. pretty damned likely actually as it requires the least amount of effort of any scheme. there’s enough money involved in legal pot to make it happen now.

Color me skeptical, but of course to some degree I hope you’re right (the MORE act decriminalizes, which I imagine would still bar interstate commerce).

The culture War trumps the drug war, but they’re going to drag it out as long as possible.

Because you can’t get a loan or put your cash in a bank and insurance is through the roof, the retail market is entirely controlled by the wealthy. Sure, there are investor groups and small timers who for one reason or another got in on the ground floor of major operations, but by design, the average user can not get into the buissiness of large scale cultivation and distribution.

The will keep it federally illegal as long as possible to soak up all the big rec rush money in every state before finally giving us permission to get whatever scraps are left over at an insane tax rate when the bubble bursts.

I don’t see it going the other way simply because the cat is out of the bag and institutional trust is at an all time low. The overwhelming majority of Americans either want legal weed or believe those who want it should be able to get it legally. Acting against that just further deteriorates what little trust there is left, and they need every last bit of it.

7 Likes

well, there is enough money in quasi legal and thca bud to keep it illegal. those guys selling at/to the dispo often don’t support legalization. they already are getting their cut.

2 Likes

their small cut. federally legal means they can now go state to state. more money in it that way. then they can push for legalization nation wide after confident they can control 90% of it.

1 Like

They already do. Consultants, investors, and outright corruption allows a very small group to have their fingers in multiple pots. They don’t control the market, but they developed the pump and dump system of growing tons of pretty good weed, very fast, crashing the market, and cashing out for the next legal state.

4 Likes

they already can. i heard cookies is moving into thca bud which is legal in most states and can be shipped legally between states…oh and it’s not taxed extra. federa legalization would reduce their market share and margin.

I’ve noticed that too. Hypocrisy is alive and well in American politics.

2 Likes

This notion that feds trump states isn’t supported by the Constitution, just popular belief and states’ implicit permission. That’s why the feds had to use the threat of withholding tax dollars to states in order to push through a 55 MPH speed limit.

If the feds create a more restrictive environment for home growers, states can say, “No.” In the same way that states asserted their powers by legalizing cannabis in the first place.

6 Likes