Hand-Me-Down Grow Down

You really went all out with the amendments! I started off that way too, but for the past couple of years I’ve been amending, topdressing with only kitchenscraps, tree leaves, grass clippings and dandelion leaves. All free! Contains plenty of all essential minerals and more, it works fine! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Add a little of everything, I wouldn’t use more than a small handful of any of the amendments, don’t go overboard, what you have in mind seems great.

I’d add half a bucket of kitchenscraps too.

Once it’s all mixed, keep it moist and let it rest for at least two weeks, ideally a month, while fluffing it up every day or so. The amendments need to break down and the soil will be a bit too active for a while to grow anything in it.

Cover it up and keep it moist. When you grab a handful and make a fist, when you get one drop of water, that’s when it’s perfect moisture wise, keep it like that throughout!

Feel free to check out my current grow journal, any questions are welcome!
Rogutopia . 2023 . Calmer Than You Are

Good to have you here, thank you for helping out those people, but make sure you have enough for yourself too!

May it all go smoothly, approach it as an epic saga and when in doubt: LITFA : Leave It The Fuck Alone.

I’ll be watching you! :eye:

3 Likes

Top dressing, watering and LITFA. The mixing is the most active part of the process. Now you chill😉. @Rogue overstands much more than I. Please get some worms. Have you decided what will be planted in this mix?

Congratulations :tada::tada:

1 Like

So not much in the way of an update… wish I had some fat buds to share with ya!

Got the tent mocked up and cleaned. Still have some things to add. I would like to set it up and get an idea of temps etc in my donor grow area. It’s colder and smaller than where I plan to eventually grow.

No seeds have germinated as of yet, still hopeful some will pop.

Finding a balance of work/life/social/grow etc is tough. Have to get in a routine so I can stay consistent. I’m not sure how some of you manage it all.

@LivingBlackSoil thank you compadre
@Rogue so glad to have ya here! I like the table scrap idea, I can definitely afford that haha

When I can find the time I can’t wait to go through everyone’s grows.

Happy growing everyone

More to come
Growit

4 Likes

Getting it all together. Looking good, hopefully those beans will get popped soon.

1 Like

Take a container to a park and collect some worms. Free and by the time you harvest you’ll have many more. Setup is the time consuming part. Soil ready, tent ready now it’s just another hour or 2 to put pots filled with mixed goodness in. Daily maintenance is minimum in a living Soil setup. As soon as you start other things may become less important and require less energy from you. 🤷

2 Likes

To update I had no success with the original planted autos. One sprouted then stalled.

Ended up trying my luck with some seriously citrus seeds. 3 popped but immediately stalled

It’s very frustrating and I don’t remember it being so difficult. Hoping it was just old seeds and not grower error.

Trying to source some clones to help make up for lost time. Having trouble in my area. Im weary on mail order.

If anyone has any idea where I can go for help in CT or MA it would be much appreciated!

On another note I’ve been taking care of the soil and it seems to be coming to life. Had a nice layer of what looked to be mycelium, or at least what I’m hoping is mycelium and not some type of mold.

My permanent grow area is coming along slowly but im making huge progress in the clean up/ construction

Hope to have some green updates soon

Growit

1 Like

Sorry to hear you having trouble getting seeds going. Maybe post what your looking for in the trading post

1 Like

@Mrgreenthumb OG came through again!

I can’t believe it actually, but a member who is local to my hometown reached out to help…

Shit is getting me teary :joy: in my real life no one is as FAMIGLIA as OG

Love this community, the world needs more of it!

Growit

4 Likes

Hell yea thats how we roll here at OG… Can’t wait to see a new update with some new strains

1 Like

Seriously man, I’ve been stressing and OG answered the call.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Growit

1 Like

Hey everybody :wave:

I Have some awesome updates! Things got exciting really fast over here!!!

Firstly my permanent grow area is just about complete. I still have a bunch of sorting to do but the physical space I’m keeping everything is fresh/clean and ready for some meds! Still have to install a sink and sump as well as run an independent breaker and plug for the 4x8.

After the long wait from the renovation I was finally able to set up the 4x8. Still have to dial in my environmental conditions and trying to figure out how to do it without breaking the bank. Hoping to make the switch to the big tent this weekend.

The goal is to keep things as perpetual as possible so I will keep clones going in a small 2x2 and then transfer to the 4 x 2 veg tent and from there I will have my 4 x 8 flower tent. I’m sure I’ll want to go bigger then the 4x2 eventually but there’s more important things to address right now.

I’m sure things are going to get time-consuming and interesting, but there are people who legitimately need these meds, so a few lost hours of sleep at night isn’t a huge deal…

More awesome updates coming tonight!

Growit

6 Likes

Coming together nicely @Growit, what kind of tent is that? Have you checked for any light leaks? Maybe you will win one of those enviroment controllers from @ris. He is going to be offering a discount code also soon.

1 Like

:2nd_place_medal: Secondly but even more EXCITING than the first!!!

One of our OG members gifted me some mother plants he was rotating out. It was just supposed to be clones and then that awesomeness happened! Some really awesome genetics that will for sure be some awesome medicine! Shout out to @CruJones for that righteousness :man_standing: :clap: :call_me_hand:

The top 3 pics - RS-11, Dogwalker, & Stardawg were transplanted from small square pots about 2 weeks ago into 5 gallon fabrics pots. They all got a light defoliation.

The fourth one down is Royal Purple Kush and was transplanted last night into a 5 gallon fabric pot.

The plants are all in a mix I made up and let sit. A bag of Coast of Maine, pro-mix hp, perlite, earthworm castings, some beneficials, an organic 4-4-4. Some other amendments I’m sure I’m forgetting… so far the only thing I’ve added as far as fees goes is a dose of cal-mag to the last 2 waterings.

All 3 transplanted 2 weeks ago are maybe? showing signs of some sort of deficiency.

What do you guys think?

@CruJones maybe I am being too cautious? I just want to do them justice.

Growit

2 Likes

It’s a Vivosun , and yes there are a few areas of stitching that need attention. It is a used tent so I did expect that somewhat.

What do people use to seal these up?

I’ll check that controller out for sure! If not I’ll make the best with what I have at my :raised_hands:

2 Likes

So a week ago today I bit the bullet and bought an aeroponic cloner.

Happy to report back the the 4 test clones I took all have roots or roots forming!!!

Last night during a light defoliation I took some more cuttings . I ran out of time and had them soaking in a cup until now. I just dropped them in their net pots. Most are small but I’ll keep my fingers crossed some take :crossed_fingers:

I had a quick second to look at the plants and they are showing more signs of stress that something isn’t 100% right - trying to figure it out before I do damage trying to correct the wrong thing

Happy Growing

Growit

3 Likes

This is basically my current mix with ProMix HPCC, pumice, CoM Stonington and fish bone meal, and my own recycled organic soil, and a lot of extra gypsum and granite flour, I’m having a great time with it!

1 Like

They loved the soil and took right off once transplanted.

Are you running that from start to finish or do you amend during the grow?

I need to figure out a feed . Guess I’ve got some reading to do on top dressing and the proper mix and times etc

1 Like

Holes and stitches:

Zippers:

Laribbons 3 Inch Wide Solid Color Grosgrain Ribbon - 10 Yard/Spool (Black) https://a.co/d/60eaa2B

1 Like

I’m trying to not amend this grow just some liquid feedings because I’m in 15G vs 7G previously. My last grow really took off in the 7G like never before with topdressing on Days 1 and 30 of flower with CoM Stonington Dry Blend (which is basically what they make the Stonington Platinum Growers Mix soil with, my favorite) and their fish bone meal. My soils are recycled with DtE crab meal, bone meal, Espoma kelp and Tomato-Tone, some Roots seabird guano, and more Stonington along with all greenery from the grow and root balls, everything except bud and even the dry sift material goes back in. I think these big pots will pull through but I’m definitely giving them a bit more liquid love than before, should probably just do a little topdress in the morning to be safe…

This is the feeding chart I was using for topdress:

When I say liquids that means stuff like weak mixes of General Organics BioThrive Grow and Bloom, Nectar calcium, bone meal, and humics, epsom salt, coconut or aloe, Hygrozyme, Mr Fulvic, Recharge, SEA-K soluble kelp, or LABS solution, compost tea, or pasta/rice water for carbohydrates. I rotate through most of those, usually with a plain water day between each so it’s maybe a two week cycle for most, Fulvic is weekly, epsom every few days. After day 50 it all stops except fulvic, epsom, and Hygrozyme.

1 Like

Thanks for the informative response! I’ll have to look into all of that. I really wish I was in bigger pots. I knew deep down 5 gallon wouldn’t quite cut it for set it and forget it. I just wasn’t sure how soon I would have the room.

This is the current state of the 3 showing signs. They all look like this

Looks as if it’s going light green from the inside out. Lower leaves look better then the top, with signs just starting in the veins .Wondering if I have excess P or some kind of lock out

1 Like