Handguns and firearms talk

Ruger works fine and would be in the price range. Slightly janky and not super polished OEM but it’s modular. I’ve reached out to 1K with precision on a Ruger platform. I call this a entry level gun for long distance … that works. It’s a good platform to understand many of the ‘issues’ you’ll discover with precision.

Bergara has a model I think but it may be pushing the pricing. Weight is actually a good thing depending on your intent. If you’re going 6.5, the most popular application is long distance where you are mostly set-up and not moving around too much.

R700’s are sort of the benchmark but it’s entirely dependent on the smithing and component quality. I’d go R700 as a custom build once you’ve had a chance to get comfortable with long distance precision and some of the niggles that are personal preference. For instance, bore axis is going to be slightly elevated relative some of the other solutions. Are you able to overcome the muzzle rise to regain sight picture timely? Barrel swaps may get a bit more complicated, etc.

3 Likes

Top one looks like a .22 bottom one is not a shotgun and I believe is classified as a pistol.

3 Likes

It is most certainly a bullpup, but I agree the barrel/mags look too narrow to be a shotgun. I saw the top one is a .22. I was trying to read what brand it was, but my eyes aren’t that good.

I’ve been shooting an older laminated Remington 700 chambered in 22-250 and it is crazy smooth. I just need something with more knock down, and I’m a little leary of Remington atm.

1 Like

Thanks Loki! The plan is to get out to 800-1000 yards. I will be using it a lot at the range, but I also hope to take it hunting this fall (which should be pretty funny being as how I’m vegan). I’m not sure what the threshold for carry weight is, but I figured if it was less than 9lbs or so would be good. I don’t want any of the feather lite stuff.

I do like Rugers, especially for the price point. I have handled a couple of Tikkas, and I really like the action on them. The Mauser M18 actually felt pretty nice. I don’t think I have seen any OEM’s. I’ve been hawking all the gun shops, and looking online. It’s really not easy to find guns right now. Thanks for the response!

4 Likes

That’s the Tavor X95. Beautiful little rifle. I just got it a few months ago so it will need a few mods to get it where I want it

3 Likes

It’s 5.56, I found out it comes in a .308 model but I had already got this when I found that out

2 Likes

Nice! I’m looking for a bolt action right now, but an AR chambered in 5.56 will be next! Ummm… Well maybe after I get a bear gun lol. Thinking a 10mm for that. Damn it, I want them all! :speak_no_evil:

4 Likes

It’a classed a rifle. It’s even changeable to left and right side firing with different bolts

3 Likes

Gibbz G4 upper and lower. Check em out. Not excellent for me, I have the rear charge muscle memory, but my 12 year old? Butter smooth magazine changes.

3 Likes

They banned AR’s in canada. But they allow these, don’t make sense to me so I got one before they changed their minds

5 Likes

I’m really not in love with AR’s, but I think they have a purpose if things get ugly. I was looking at a Springfield Saint Victor as I don’t want to shell out the cash for a Daniel Defense. Sig tread was another one.

2 Likes

I was never a huge fan either. Still thought about getting one but then they got banned so I went with the x95. It seamed like a good all around rifle

2 Likes

I can’t help it, when talking bolt action I always end up back at my Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk2. British .303 rounds, love that thing. When it comes to hiking in the back country I love my Browning BLR lightweight Pistol Grip. It weights in at only 6.5 lbs and shoots a .308 which will put down pretty much anything in North America.

6 Likes

I used to shoot competitively with USPSA and 3-gun. Got real big into reloading.

After Brain cancer, I just never got back into it . The longest I’ve hit was with a .243 was about 650 yards

4 Likes

just deleting.

That’s kinda what I thought. Yeah, those are super nice rifles. I can’t wait to see it decked out.

2 Likes

Yeah I plan on getting a pistol grip, new trigger and risers for the scope. I have a hard time comfortably shooting it right now because the scope sits so low and flat on the body

2 Likes

Those sound like some really nice mods.

A trigger you are comfortable with is very important, not to mention the risers. I bet that will be a blast to shoot after that.

2 Likes

Do you mind if I ask your reasons for wanting to hunt while being vegan? According to all facebook vegans this is highly contradictory lol.

I’m legitimately curious and think its great that you want to get out there, no sarcasm intended!

1 Like

Hey man! Yeah, I have a bunch of friends that hunt and I love to hike, shoot guns and be in nature. And if I was a gambling man, I’d bet I know someone that will take the meat. I don’t have any issue with people killing animals for food. I’m vegan cause of stomach issues. :v:

I had to look what that gun even was lol. Looks really sweet - definitely something that will outlast me. I am set on 6.5 creedmoor for a caliber, and I prefer not to have the super light because I will spend more time at the range than hunting. The Brownings look real nice also though. :v:

4 Likes