Has anyone here defeated powdery mildew?

Yeah, it has Thyme oil and Peppermint oil, so maybe it would cause a smell, taste? It seems to be a light product and it seems to evaporate pretty good. It’s new for me. I used it for a small bug infestation and it worked. I’d have to research more for use on PM and use on flowers.

Not sure what this butt nugget is, but him and his brothers ain’t even caring I’m spraying sulfur, and they definitely arnt backing down. Damaging leafs. Never had this bug before. I’d say thrip but never had those before and the picks I see dont look like this guy. The younger ones are white. And the pupa are reddish. Haven’t seen eggs. But have been heavy defol as I don’t want to lose these old ass Acapulco gold and chocolate Thai I got going. I know folks tag @George so maybe it’s time I try it lol.

3 Likes

Almost looks like the larva stage of certain small beetles, hard to tell from the pics though.

It’s like a fly almost. Longer body, those two black bands. It definitely looks almost like a ant or something when I can get a glimpse with the jewelers loop. It’s younger versions are white with no black bands.

Carpet beetle or bark lice maybe

Hypochlorous Acid (it’s water/vinegar/uniodized salt, not nuclear waste) kills it dead on contact. Kills PM, kills bud rot. Make it for pennies with a generator that costs about $150…referred by Bob at BudBusterpro, this stuff works, period.

4 Likes

Hard to see hum|nullxnull, do they fly? I was thinking of some sort of Syrphid or Hover fly:

2 Likes

https://bugguide.net/node/view/10748

2 Likes

It’s a banded thrip. There nasty little bastards. And I know exactly how I got them. I got some dirty clones :frowning: which isn’t the end of the world just another lesson learned.

3 Likes

First time I see them icon_e_surprised|nullxnull, thanks for sharing that info and sorry to hear about your infestation, I always grow from seed and nothing from outside comes indoors, I learned it the hard way like you :disappointed:, now you know, hit them hard!! gun_gun

3 Likes

Banded thrip…got mites, thrips, aphid?
Are you really tired of dealing with them…???

Ran into this awhile back and thought I’d pass it along…FWIWA diatribe with benefits.docx.pdf (165.5 KB)

6 Likes

Bob with the win, yet again!

3 Likes

@Enjoi802 be sure to let us know what you use to kill them. Knowledge is power!!!

1 Like

https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/cjb-2022-0139

Understanding bud rot development, caused by Botrytis cinerea, on cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.) plants grown
under greenhouse conditions

Mohannad Mahmouda, Ines BenRejeba, Zamir K. Punja b, Liam Buirsb, and Suha Jabajia

Plant Science Department, MacDonald Campus of McGill University, QC, Canada

Department of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, Canada

Corresponding author: Z.K. Punja (email: punja@sfu.ca)

Abstract
Botrytis cinerea is a widespread necrotrophic plant pathogen that causes diseases on >1000 plant species, including vegeta- bles and ornamental greenhouse crops. On cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.), the pathogen is responsible for causing “bud rot”, a major disease affecting the inflorescences (compound flowers), as well as seedling damping-off and leaf blight under certain conditions. During greenhouse cultivation, Botrytis cinerea can destroy cannabis inflorescences rapidly under optimal relative humidity conditions (>70%) and moderate temperatures (17–24 ◦C). Little is currently known about the host–pathogen in- teractions of Botrytis cinerea on cannabis. Information gleaned from other hosts can provide valuable insights for comparative purposes to understand disease development, epidemiology, and pathogenicity of Botrytis cinerea on cannabis crops. This review describes the pathogenesis and host responses to Botrytis infection and assesses potential mechanisms involved in disease re- sistance. The effects of microclimatic and other environmental conditions on disease development, strategies for early disease detection using prediction models, and the application of biological control agents that can prevent Botrytis cinerea develop- ment on cannabis are discussed. Other potential disease management approaches to reduce the impact of Botrytis bud rot are also reviewed. Numerous opportunities for conducting additional research to better understand the cannabis–Botrytis cinerea interaction are identified.

2 Likes

I’ve got a gizmo called the AirROS by a company called Sage.

It releases Reactive Oxygen Species into the air and kills PM and spores in the air and on all surfaces. You run it all the time, it’s not hard on the plants.

I had 3 grows in a row with PM and finally solved the problem with the AirROS. It’s relatively expensive but it’s worth it to save a grow.

Home - AirROS by SAGE Commercial Surface & Air Purifiers (airrosshield.com)

2 years and not a bit of PM.

1 Like

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but here is as good an answer to PM (and other issues) as it gets
https://overgrow.com/t/hypochlorous-acid-a-deep-dive

4 Likes

Micronized Sulfur…everytime

3 Likes

Not in flower…H.A. all the way.

5 Likes

I can confidently say I have defeated powdery mildew , thrips and staved off spider mites from getting a foothold.
How did I do this?
Last fall I sprayed the sulphur as per @JoeCrowe 's advice.
I sprayed all my vegging plants, the soil surfaces the pots the floor the walls…even misted it thru my fans. Then I went outside to the greenhouse and sprayed down the floor the walls the ceiling , inside my light dep shed floor , walls and ceiling. Then I sprayed a 20 foot perimeter around the greenhouse.
So this year I weed wacked the spring weed growth inside the corners of the greenhouse and a few feet around it and then did the spray down again and included all the vegging plants, soil surfaces and pots as well as the pots and totes that were used for final transplant. Before the plants went into the greenhouse I sprayed floor. walls and ceiling of greenhouse and lightdep shed and the 20ft perimeter around the greenhouse. I also added the sulphur as an ammendment in my soil mixes.
I am about 50% though harvest and not a spec of PM anywhere. Not even the grasses and weeds around the greenhouse have it . Conditions have been just about perfect for PM and Fusarium but this year… mold and mildew free harvest. I think the sulphur spray also helped keep the mites and western flower thrips from getting a foothold again too.
For thrips… I use Monterey’s Garden Spray With Spinosad and get both sides of the leaves and the soil as well as the surfaces of the pot… especially underneath. Also spray the grow room floor. Be warned though… Spinosad is bad for Bees so spray indoors or if your greenhouse is sealed with bug screens .
I’m researching the hypochlorous Acid because the sulphur spray can’t be used in flower.
I don’t have PM this year because I practiced an eradication strategy in advance and I am so happy with this years harvest I feel I should send a thankyou care package to @JoeCrowe

14 Likes

Here’s the badge I made up for the mildew assassins! You earned it!

Once you are up inside the mildew’s head, it’s game over. Know thy enemy!

7 Likes