Has anyone here defeated powdery mildew?

I so its been over a month now, and i havent seen PM anywhere. In fact, do you remember that Dreamcatcher “test” plant I showed you?

Well, @JoeCrowe i have you to thank for this.

Here is that same test plant now. Its being used for advertisement of the strain.

The sulfer treatment absolutely works. Without a shadow of a doubt.

8 Likes

Thank you for trying it and reporting back! I’m really happy to see more people kill off that fungus. Due to misinformation, it’s really hard to kill off. Really, though, it’s easily destroyed, as you have demonstrated!
As long as you don’t bring in more infected plant material, you will never see it again.

4 Likes

Whats that recipe again? One teaspoon/ gallon? Going to mix some up for this season. I’ll be ready.
Will this work for other fungal issues like leaf blights or septoria? I’d assume these funguses have similar likes and dislikes.
Did someone say I can use this as a preventative for botrytis?

2 Likes

I mix one tablespoon per liter of the stuff but you can easily get away with half that dose. 2 tablespoons per 4 liters if you want, will kill it fine.
sulfur will exterminate any fungus except oomycetes(oh oh my seats) which are water molds like pythium.
It will easily wipe out botrytis if you are trying to make seeds and bud mold takes over. It’ll send that disease packing. You might be able to use it, in order to sterilize a grow room to prevent botrytis, but I’ve never actually tried that out. If you were biosecure with hepa filters, and changed into your space suit with biohazard level 4, I’m sure you could exterminate any pathogen and grow completely disease free, like you were living in USAMRIID labs.

3 Likes

I’ll give a spray week 2 of flower and hope that helps. Thanks! My dry area landrace plants won’t look so ugly this year.

3 Likes

Love your pic from the trilogy of terror! One of the creatures from the game Diablo was based on that doll from the movie

1 Like

@JoeCrowe no spraying in flower, right?

And Joe, I haven’t seen anymore on the girls for a couple of months. Sprayed the beds that had last year’s squash and peas. Had to strain out the particulate, it kept clogging the sprayer :frowning:

2 Likes

Yah if you spray in flower it’ll come out nasty. Only spray in flower if you are trying to get a batch of seeds, but botrytis is gnarling your buds. Don’t smoke that seeded sulfur weed. Yah sometimes I have to open the spray nozzle more to get out a random chunk then dial it back again. I got a new sprayer today, and it pumps up. Entirely made from polymer so I don’t have to worry about… heh heh spraying acids or caustic materials.
Great to hear your problem with the nasty ass parasite is over. Bam, good riddance to that colony! Thanks for the report!

4 Likes

It rains all the time here. It will get washed off. I smoked some indoor sulfur bud that was not washed off or rained on and it was barely noticeable.( i dont recommend it)The outdoor plants should get hit by 15 or 20 rains in the 6-8 weeks flowering after the spray. I’ll report the results this fall.
I wouldn’t do it on tight flower clusters. Pinky nail sized or smaller should be fine.

3 Likes

Just my take, but I think the point is to nip it in the bud (not literally, lol), by treating early in veg… then it can wash off.

2 Likes

I’m really excited for the experimental results!

4 Likes

Last year was my first experiencing PM. After years of growing in the swamp I was able to do backyard grows the last few. I’ve always used a mixture of garden sulfur/talc/corn starch and it seemed to keep bugs/slugs/deer away. Sometimes deer would take a bite and spit it out. It would cost me a starter but just one, lesson learned. Of course once they started to flower I’d cease.
Last year I stopped using this concoction because I was keeping a close eye on the plants and didn’t see much bug damage so I just left them alone. And I’m going to guess, uncoincidentally, powdery mildew made it’s first appearance, to me anyway. I went out and bought a product called Ferminator on advice from the local grow shop. It worked well, as long as the sun was around to activate. But fall brought clouds and rain and back it came.
So this year I’m going to go back to dusting my plants with that sulfur concoction.

4 Likes

Mix the sulfur with water and treat the plant early in veg, that will kill off the mildew. Dusting the sulfur on is not effective.

3 Likes

It seemed to work as a preventative (dusting) as I’d never had it before. Maybe it was pure luck, don’t know. Just seems more than a coincidence that the ONE year I didn’t dust my plants, I got it.

2 Likes

ok I got more questions :slight_smile:
were you growing clones from someone?

1 Like

Last year it was all from seeds, started myself. Over the years I’ve used clones and seeds.

3 Likes

I would also use sulfur to decontaminate the area then. The patch where the seedlings were grown could be close to the host. Either downed plant materials or a plant that gets the same kind of mildew. They suspect sunflowers or ragweed. If you use an ultra violet flashlight or light, it should show you where the infestation is originating from.
When I wiped out the mildew on the pumpkins, I additionally sprayed all dead leaves and old flowers on the ground. The mildew can harbor there, but it is host specific.

3 Likes

I’ll try that Joe…thanks!

3 Likes

I noticed some lilacs had it nearby…would that be the culprit?

Just give me a reason to cut them down!

2 Likes

Well the secret is nobody can really tell you which plant is the host. I can more likely tell you what ISN’T the host. I have no idea if it could be lilacs… but if you want to really figure it out…
You take a mildew colony from the lilacs and rub it on the uninfected cannabis plant, and see if the infestation starts.

2 Likes