Has anyone here defeated powdery mildew?

On point. Was just going to mention you should look at area surrounding air intake. I like the details regarding LABS. Thanks!

3 Likes

If you want to control PM, there are several cheap solutions. One is refined Neem oil. It goes by several names, but it has had the Aza removed and is 70% refined neem oil. You need to use it at a higher rate than generally recommended for PM though. 100:1 works well. The algebra is a bit tricky with 70% refined neem oil to get 100:1, but: 0.7X = 128oz/100, which results in X = 1.8 oz or X = 3 TB + 2 tsp of refined neem oil per gallon of water. No spreader/sticker is needed with refined neem oil, as it has that in it. I use this on plants that are in veg or early bloom. I had a GDP covered in PM and I sprayed it with this and the PM was gone in 2 days. This will also kill any mites, thrips, whitefly and scale on contact. The last bottle of this that I bought was $9 at Lowes. Repeat spray once a week to keep the PM away. Neem dissipates in a week or two, especially in sunlight. Some do not like the smell, but I do not notice it. Neem is safe as long as you do not drink the stuff.

The second solution is really cheap and works in a day. I spray the plants at any stage of veg or bloom with 1 cup of 3% drug store hydrogen peroxide to one gallon of water. If it is a bad case of PM I double the hydrogen peroxide. Now this will bead up, so I add 1/2 tsp of agricultural soap per gallon of water to get it to thin out and cover the plant better. Adding the soap will also kill any mites, mite eggs, thrips, whitefly and scale on contact. Use ag soap, not dish soap. Ag soap is designed not to break down plant waxes. You can also use Safer’s soap, but it takes more of that to make a wetting/spreading solution. Ag soap is available at most farm supply stores. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water, so it is as safe as it gets.

5 Likes

That’s a mistake!
You don’t wait to fix plant issues… you remedy them promptly… as quickly as possible for optimal plant health and reduced stress.
Time is of the essence!

5 Likes

I do not grow for commercial interests. My product need not undergo testing. Yes, you probably shouldn’t smoke a bowl of myclobutanil. But trace residues in plant material isn’t going to hurt anyone. I bet there’s far more cyanide in a single apple seed than a joint that got sprayed for PM before it got tossed into flower. I’ve been smoking my product for years and years. I feel great. If you had cyanide poisoning, boy you’d know it. I think it’s great you read a couple articles, but I’ve been doing this a long time. Not a single person, or myself, has ever been sickened from anything I’ve grown. I smoke multiple grams of my own product every single day.

As to sulfur taste in herb from the big warehouses? It’s a known thing. That’s great you don’t use sulfur in flower, but that also means the plants are probably still are infected with spores, if the rest of your grow has it. I’ll say it a million times: I would much rather smoke trace amounts of pesticides than mold/spores/sulfur/bug carcasses and waste. I don’t love myclobutanil, I love never ever having to worry about a PM flare up.

@seven_trees if Lactic acid bacteria instantly eliminated powdery mildew, every single greenhouse, vineyard, orchard on the planet would use it. Farmers in Korea use modern fertilizers and pesticides for a reason.

@beacher sorry Canada makes acquiring certain things difficult. 100mg should take care of your problem overnight, though.

3 Likes

whenever I get pm or spider mites I destroy all affected olants outside and clean the grow area with 1:10 bleach:water and scrub down a few times

takes about 20 minutes and it rarely comes back, I think I’ve never had mites or pm again after 2012

3 Likes

i’ve had pm on my indoor plants for years.these are also the mothers for outdoor ones. last year the outdoor ones got pm as well as indoor. i said the hell with it and killed all the mothers after last season. completely cleaned the indoor room and started new seeds that were not from any of the old mothers and am now into first week of flowering and so far so good.also changed the output fan so it’s running slowly all the time so i’m getting better and fresher air.think i’m going to mix up a batch of lacto and treat with that just as a preventative though.thanks for all the great info guys, i’ve struggled with this for years now.fingers crossed!

2 Likes

In between grows I sterilize my room & equipment with my Ozone Generator to kill any foreign organic pathogens that may be present.

I built it after the Hurricane ran through my city and mold was popping up everywhere.

13 Likes

WOW!
Thank You very much for this!

3 Likes

For those of us that are lazy (Like me!)
would something like this work?
TIA

2 Likes

From what I gather on it, it seems more like a dietary supplement that you ingest.
As far as adding it to a plant to help combat mold?
I don’t think it’s designed for that.

3 Likes

Thanks again…I guess that I will have to become UN LAZY…LMAO!

BTW…I have been using a UVC bulb w/ ozone to help combat this stuff. It works well.

3 Likes

Where did you hear that? Actinovate is bacteria spores, similar to BTK (which kills every type of caterpillar). I have read nothing on toxicity to any insect life? Gosh peeps talking of micobutanyl and Eagle 20, toxic!!! Always trying to find less harmful ways, the only real 'pesticide I use is safers End-all… Once powdery mildew hits, grow is destroyed an room re-tooled, no probs yet with actinovate soil drench at transplant. IPM for me besides clean clean clean and environment is safers and agri sulphur spray while in veg and right before bloom room, As well as actinovate or rootsheild in soil. If you can find me a link to Actinovate toxicity to bees, let me know. It is manufactured by Monsanto in the states…grrrr.

5 Likes

Sounds like your product needs to undergo testing! The way you phrase it, I could say no one ever got sick from all the nasty crap they put in cigarettes. Then again, not even the tobacco industry allows Myclobutanil. You want to dump nasty crap on your plants - go ahead smoke your poison - but don’t call the organic growing practices of commercial growers ‘hippie’ shit.

:v:

4 Likes

“Nasty crap” “poison” sounds like a mommy blog. It is hippie shit. They only grow “organic” because they are forced to.

2 Likes

Growing organic yields a far superior product , hippie shit or not it’s science and some people prefer qaulity. I’d say the only reason people don’t grow organic is because they have not been able achieve good results and must rely on the ease of synthetics. Saying that we only grow organiz because were forced to makes no sense what so ever. Who is doing this forcing, most high end organics cost more then synthetic so it’s not a money factor and Synthetic nutrients are readily available so that statement makes no sense to me.
Eagle 20 is straight poisen that’s why it works so fast and it contaminates grow rooms for a long time after application. Some people have health issues already and avoiding potentially dangerous chemicals is not hippie shit its common sense. If you have to resort to spraying chemical death around your plants there is alot more wrong with the whole situation then the powder mildew.

6 Likes

We think exactly alike. When I ditched my Water Farms and all the bullshit 3 part GH nutes and PH up n down, and went organic in soil…new world opened up…a world with BETTER pot in it!!!

7 Likes

You really sound like you know what you’re talking about.

3 Likes

I’m not trying to rag on anybody’s method of growing, alot of people have great results with synthetics but they are normaly adding things like carbo load , sweet, floralicious, those all have organic ingredients that help replace what’s not in synthetics. Organic growing especially in soil less medium can be challenging but is quite rewarding. When I did hydro I used botanicare or cutting edge solutions, both are a combo of synthetic and organic ingredients. In soil organic is non comparable, good soil health and proper amounts of fast and slow release nutrients make for terpaliciouse plants.

8 Likes

I could not agree more. My organic soil grown plants are superior in taste/smell/flavor than anything I ever pulled down in Hydro. Not talking yield, but quality. I will stay an organic soil grower myself.

9 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, my soil growns are healthier than anything else , dig in some natural ferts, blood & bone and worm poo, they luv it!

2 Likes