Has anyone here defeated powdery mildew?

Greetings, ALL…you may wish to try the NATURAL products from Sierra Natural Science (SNS). All natural products!! On the website, clink on the FREE SAMPLE section. 18 months ago, I did, got two of my neighbors to do the same (they’re NON growers). You only pay the shipping (for me, it was $20 EACH to Maine). It was enough for 3 grows. I still have about 2/3s left. Most, you can use up to date of harvest. Had a wet Summer, but had ZERO issue with Mold or PM. Had Bud Rot on the top cola of ACDC, however. Hope it helps. NOTE: I AM A NON-ATTORNEY SPOKEPERSON!!!~ LOL Have a super safe weekend.

8 Likes

Mix up a batch of that juice and let her rip!!! It would suck to have to do a complete tear down…might as well give her a hail Mary and cross your fingers!!!

@zephyr that actually sounds like a pretty good method you’ve got there. Bookmarked it…hope I never have to try it…lol

4 Likes

I have never had PM in 6 years of growing. I use LABS diluted at 1 tablespoon per gallon nonchlorinated water to water plants starting with germination. I use LABS to clean containers, trays, water in top dressing, rinse sprouted seeds, foliar spray plants daily until flower.

I have been using it over 40 years since undergraduate labs. Lactic acid bacteria kills food borne pathogens and lives in your gut. It improves the immune system. It keeps my vegetables and plants free of powdery mildew. I also maintain ventilation, temperature 70s to 80s and humidity 45 to 75. Numbers vary between tent, closet and sunroom.

21 Likes

@DanzaKuduro Can you please eLABorate on LABS? or if you have a link…I’m not sure what I’m looking for when i google it

9 Likes

@Tappy,
lacto bacillus serum can be made with rice, water and milk. the fermentation creates a liquid solution containing lactic acid bacteria.

I will post 2 links, both give detailed answers with photos :slight_smile:

https://www.dudegrows.com/soup-lactobacillus-culture/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cxlUTCpm6NCKGWiMVpmA5YlO6J2kCu5g6QaNXfgjauo/mobilebasic?pli=1

I stop at the first liquid serum, refrigerate it and use it with non chlorinated water, dried or liquid molasses depending on whether using foliar spray or watering soil.

I am including a third link to online bacteriology reference. Some people may prefer a broader technical reference: http://textbookofbacteriology.net/lactics.html

LABS punches holes in the outer membrane of other bacteria. You can ferment millions of this little guy :grinning:

10 Likes

https://www.trc-canada.com/product-detail/?CatNum=M831400

There you go. Myclobutanil in Canada.

3 Likes

I see it on perfect leaves, leaves that are turning yellow and everything in between. Upper leaves that are in full light and swaying pretty violently in the breeze 24/7 and lower small leaves that are mostly in shade… I’ve noticed no definitive pattern to where it appears

@zephyr what’s the time frame between each of those dunks?

@DanzaKuduro you give the roots LABS with every watering and foliar feed them daily? I’ve read about them I should probably consider incorporating them into the routine. It’s funny I’ve been reading alot about lactofermentation the last few days for food… sauerkraut and such. It’s supposed to be very healthy!

@vernal thanks for the link… not cheap but might be necessary eventually!

3 Likes

Your answer tells me it’s NOT Downy Mildew, that’s good. It’s worse than PM.

Your Temps look ok, as does the humidity level.

PM can be spread by insects and splashing water on plants, but is mainly spread with wind. Fans blowing on infected plants is a good way to spread the spores around to ALL your other plants.

Keep in mind that the humidity level within the plant canopy will be much higher than the surrounding area. Plants transpire more than 95% of their daily water intake, this creates the perfect environment for spores to germinate and create a big problem.

If you’ve already got PM, lowering the overall humidity to 40% or less stimulates the fungus to make more spores and spread them.

If your plants haven’t started flowering yet you have many options at your disposal. Once flowering starts, it will be much harder to get under control.

My ‘go to’ is to combine one tablespoon of baking soda and one half teaspoon of liquid Castile soap mixed into a gallon (4L) of water and spray all plants thoroughly.

Milk solutions work too… mix 40% milk to 60% water and spray all infected plants thoroughly. Not recommended for indoor growing due to smell.

Good luck with this and keep us posted on how things are going for you and your plants.

7 Likes

I set up a series of bowls with the solutions mixed up, and dunk the clones in one after the other.
I try to do it in rapid succession to make sure any spores get maximum exposure each solution, and no time to dry out.
I also swish them around in the solution to add some manual agitation to the effects of the solutions. You can repeat the who dunk process a few times before doing the final rinse in fresh water with a spoonful of hydrogen peroxide.

3 Likes

No, you really won’t be fine. That’s why it’s banned in commercial cannabis. Maybe you missed this part:

When Myclobutanil is applied to tobacco or to marijuana, very serious health problems do occur: Myclobutanil releases highly toxic gases if heated past its boiling point of 205°C (400°F) Butane lighters, such as those used to ignite marijuana for consumption, produce temperatures in excess of 450°C. These toxic gases include hydrogen chloride, hydrogen cyanide, and nitrogen oxide. This is why Eagle 20 EW is strictly forbidden by law on those crops in most countries.

I work for a company with approximately 15,000 sq ft of canopy. Pretty sure I’m in the real world. All of products have to undergo testing for pesticides, molds, etc. We do not use Eagle 20/Myclobutanil and we have not failed any mold/mildew tests. We use sulfur burners - obviously not when the plants are full on flowering - our weed does not taste like shit.

Edit:

9 Likes

@beacher,

EM1 by TeraGanix is a product that contains LABS and other microbes for soil inoculation and foliar spray. You can skip the homemade LABS if you prefer ready made. I include link to the website for your review.

4 Likes

Into 4 weeks flowering already on this round so I’ll be limping home with the potassium bicarbonate and/or whatever else I might mix up. Thanks for the tips!

@zephyr that makes sense. That’s probably a good protocol for all clones really, just to keep everything starting 100% clean.

3 Likes

Cool stuff, I didn’t know you could get it premade like that. Seems the only microorganisms I’m good at growing are powdery mildew spores lol

5 Likes

Glad you are able to muster up some humor beach. I feel for ya!

PM. :fire_engine: I’ve lived it. Laughing on the outside, crying on the inside.

FWIW…
For fun, I experimented with “bud washing” when I harvested my boring 2017 outdoor. Amazing how much outdoor crap I washed outta some test colas.
And, I’ve done it with some indoor that had minor PM. Both times good end result, all smokable!

6 Likes

Powdery mildew is ridiculously easy to beat. Sometimes I forget not everyone has heard of Korean Natural Farming.

Just stop fucking around with everything else and do two things:

1. Look around outside your air intake. You obviously have recurring source of inoculation–check bushes, weeds, even the neighbour’s rose bushes. The spores are entering your grow repeatedly. But then again, PM is in the air pretty much everywhere, so:

2. Make LABS – Lactic Acid Bacteria Serum

Here are some sources. This shit is so cheap and easy to make (milk, rice, cane sugar). Literally one application and it’s gone forever. Like seriously–stop fucking around and make this recipe. Follow the steps. Use it as directed. Watch the weeks roll by. Thank Dr. Cho Han Kyu and then come here and thank Dr. Zinko.

https://blog.bolandbol.com/2017/04/24/more-knf-introducing-the-fabulous-lab-lactic-aid-bacteria/

http://www.acc21.org/pdf/AJPN.pdf

16 Likes

I have done it with straight water in the past and also tried water curing once which was very unimpressive. A mild h2o2 solution really makes alot of sense for any potentially compromised bud. Cheap, offers somewhat of a disinfectant effect and totally harmless.

I’d be curious to see what would come off clean indoor bud with a quick wash, it might be surprising

1 Like

You seem very confident! I believe the source is just general ‘musty old basement’, with occasional patches of standing water despite low humidity and tons of airflow.

I’ll thank everyone I can if my solution could be that simple haha…thanks :+1:

2 Likes

“You can skip the homemade LABS if you prefer ready made”

How lazy can someone be? This literally takes 5 minutes to make with white rice, milk, and sugar and you wait a few days and it’s done. It’s like a year’s supply for $5. If you don’t give a shit enough to learn how to garden, stop growing cannabis. It makes absolutely no sense to take on a multi-month long grow when you can’t read and follow a simple recipe with three common household ingredients. The fourth ingredient is: giving a shit.

Anyone who can’t make a five minute recipe to treat their plants doesn’t deserve to have them in the first place–this is sacred medicine you lazy pricks. (Not you Danza or beacher–this is just a general rant @ space)

Put it this way: if “you prefer ready made” – buy it from the dispensary or your local hood rat. Growing weed isn’t about the easiest sloppiest way. Get involved in the process or go fail by yourself in a corner. It’s like, why brush your teeth right? Dentures are ready-made!

Man I’ve worked for so many idiots who complain about the exact same problem for months or years on end, buying and trying all sorts of dumb shit. I literally bring them LABS in my pump sprayer, ready to go and they get skeptical like I’m trying to trick them or some shit. I’d tell them to DIAF but they clearly can’t grow any.

/endrant (not directed at anyone specifically) after a frustrating day dealing with retards

But yeah, seeing shit like this makes my blood boil. Like get with the program already or just give up and buy weed from someone who gives a shit to grow it right.

7 Likes

@beacher

Yeah man, feel relieved. It’s gonna work and you’ll be stoked on it. Glad so many people said LABS before I jumped in and threw a tantrum.

No offense, guys. Just ya know–literally brought in my LABS and capsaicin sprays today and had the head grower reneg on his word. Yesterday it was cool to try it on one plant–today he’s like “I’m gonna wait it out a few days. I put this shit in the res.” and he shows me Silica Blast. It’s like Jesus fucking christ.

6 Likes

@seven_trees Holy shit…do you work at 7 acres?

2 Likes