Hate towards hydro?

Personally I don’t notice a difference between organic or non organic fruits either lol without trying to rustle any feathers I think its generally all in ur head :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I think it has less to do with being organic, than scale of operation. Small farms make better produce.

1 Like

Again, I’m playing the devil’s advocate here. Do you have information to support hydro tastes better?

Curious your thoughts on this as well:

3 Likes

Agree fully

Its my understanding organic fertilizers have harmful run off the same way salt based ones do and the real problem is simply over fertilization.

2 Likes

I think it’s sad, and I don’t support that kind of conventional farming. I don’t waste water, I use the waste water from my RO to replenish my reservoir, I don’t change water, and other than growing outdoors I run a very efficient and not wasteful system. I use natural mined minerals, which isn’t great, but the amount we use as hydro grower is minuscule and will not harm the environment in any impactful way.

1 Like

If you have that information, please post it. If I am presented with new information, I will reevaluate, but I have not seen such to be true yet.

2 Likes

I think it has a lot to do with variety and processing method. Tomatoes bred for shelf stability and uniform appearance/disease resistance then artificially ripened with ethylene, coated in a wax to improve appearance and make it shiny and trucked 1000 miles away on a refrigerated truck and sold 2 weeks later…taste worse than an older variety harvested at proper ripeness from one’s own garden, sliced, and immediately used.

It has nothing or close to nothing to do with the nutrients used, IMO.

6 Likes

Anything with P and N in it can have the same negative consequences (P especially if you’re taking about waterways). N is magical for plants, and organic N struggles to compete.

1 Like

I’m far from a expert lol but I’m pretty sure I heard that in this video.

2 Likes

RO is a huge waste of water. For every gallon you make, it takes 3-4 gallons that goes down the drain. If you’re using salts to make your solutions, then cool. If you’re shipping bottles of liquid nutrients there are better ways. This is of course if you are taking into account the environmental impacts.

Did you see the part when I said I use my waste water? The RO is primarily for my reef aquariums, which are totally a waste of resources. :joy:

1 Like

I’ll be using Jack’s from here on out

4 Likes

You don’t want to be paying for water anyways I have no regrets swapping to jacks

1 Like

Also, I believe sodium nitrate is fine to use in NOP organic, just not be any other standards. The only reason for that is the mining practice, where the EU and US governing bodies disagree on the environmental impact of the mining.

I’m sorry, but I don’t have an hour and ten minutes to watch this. Can you summarize?

Touche. 99% of the hydro growers I have seen (myself included) do not use the waste water.

Again, just my opinion, but I think this is much better from an environmental standpoint.

I know, I went through a few bottles of GH trio and while it worked great, it’s just wasteful. I was going to make my own mineral fertilizer, but I decided Jack’s was a good in between. Just not sure which formula to go with…

1 Like

The 321 seems to have the most info online when it comes to growing weed because its been around the longest. Haven’t tried it personally but I like the RO formula.

My waste water comes out at 85 ppm, so I don’t have much worry of buildup from not changing my reservoir

2 Likes

The following nonsynthetic substances may not be used in organic crop production:

(a) Ash from manure burning.

(b) Arsenic.

© Calcium chloride, brine process is natural and prohibited for use except as a foliar spray to treat a physiological disorder associated with calcium uptake.

(d) Lead salts.

(e) Potassium chloride - unless derived from a mined source and applied in a manner that minimizes chloride accumulation in the soil.

(f) Rotenone (CAS # 83-79-4).

(g) Sodium fluoaluminate (mined).

(h) Sodium nitrate - unless use is restricted to no more than 20% of the crop’s total nitrogen requirement; use in spirulina production is unrestricted until October 21, 2005.

(i) Strychnine.

(j) Tobacco dust (nicotine sulfate).

Big Ag continually petitions the NOP to have substances allowed. The best they can do on sodium nitrite (why would you add sodium?) is 20% of total N.

1 Like