Have I lost the touch?

Ok, this one is driving me bonkers. First indoor grow in too many years to count. I’m getting anxious to get the big light back on and I’ll be damned if I’m not stumped on this one.

I’ve grown for 20 years, so this isn’t my first rodeo. Before I get to my question, some background is probably in order.

1 - I’ve always handled my seeds the same way and never had an issue like I am this go round. I use the paper towel method to germinate and it has pretty much always been fool proof.

2 - I use a 50/50 blend of Schultz potting soil and perlite for starting my seedlings.

3 - My method has never failed me. Until now.

History of the beans -
Last year I had an outdoor fem’d auto grow going. First experience with them and I made the mistake of assuming I could just leave them to do their thing. Boy, was I wrong on that one. Something went haywire. Not sure if it was a recently installed LED street light the city installed out front or not, but I’m going to blame that as the cause. Be damned if 9 out of 10 plants didn’t end up being seed weed. At least one of them hermied on me and ruined the rest, except one. Started indoors in May and moved outside the first week of June.

The one odd plant out grew from June until the end of October when I had to take it down due to moving. I just finished smoking the last of that plant a couple weeks back. Tend to think that one wasn’t an auto at all.

At any rate, a couple weeks ago (against my better judgement) I threw caution to the wind and started a few beans from last year’s disaster. I plan to stay within my legal limit of 4 plants. Bingo! 4 seeds into the paper towel, 4 pop and go into cups. All 4 break the surface as expected.

I’ll be damned if they haven’t stalled. They’ve grown the first pair of leaves, got to a height of 1/2" - 1" (1 to 3 cm) and done nothing since which has been a week now.

I’m at a total loss. Same methods I’ve always used, same lighting, soil, you name it. What in hell is going on here?

The only thing I can think it may possibly be is contamination of the water. But how, if that’s case? My wife swears up and down that she hasn’t used my spray bottle for anything. I know I haven’t used the bottle for anything else. That spray bottle has been dedicated to my seed starts for years. The water I am using is store bought distilled.

I’m just about ready to toss these and start over again, but without figuring out what is going on and doing what is needed to resolve the issue I am bound to follow in the same footsteps that got me here. I realize that the first instinct for most reasonable people is to just buy more beans, but after last years fiasco I’m more than a little hesitant to drop $10 a bean only to get burned again.

I have to figure out what is holding these ones back. Are auto’s known to behave this way? Could there be something in the water that is causing the problem? If so, why would the beans get as far as they have?

This one has me completely baffled. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome and considered.

3 Likes

I’ve never done soil before so no clue whether it could be anything to do with that but if it’s the same method then probably is not that. I doubt it is your water bottle being contaminated either but do the plants still look to be in good health?

My cheese autos took a little while to really get going but so did my PPP auto as well so it probably is common to take about 2 weeks but if it’s literally stopped growing so the leaves are not gaining size in anyway shape or form then that’s strange.

2 Likes

my first question would be where did you buy those beanz ?
second question what were (weren’t) they ?
Samwell - Baked Beanz

4 Likes

Plants look fine. They’ve just stalled.

2 Likes

CK seeds. I bought 10 pack of fem’d auto’s and had 100% germination with them. I don’t blame the seeds for last years disaster. I blame myself for that. What I think happened last year was a combination of that damned LED street light and my own stupidity for not keeping an eye on them.

2 Likes

So these are seeds you got from your hermied plants or fresh ones from the seedbank? Got a bit confused as it says in your first post you used some seeds from last years disaster?

I mean they will probably be fine but if the plant has literally stopped growing so it’s not growing in width(leaf size) then I would be concerned but just give it a few more days if it still hasn’t changed at all get some fresh beans and try again.

2 Likes

That’s correct. I grew a mixed pack of 10 feminized autos last year and germinated seed that I collected from those plants. I assume that they are a cross, unless by some fluke I can’t possibly explain they only self pollinated. At this point I can’t even be 100% certain of what they were to begin with which really ins’t a concern for me. I’m not a fussy smoker. As long as it serves the purpose, it’s all good in my world.

These seedlings have literally stalled. The beans cracked and were in solo cups within 48 hours. Within 4 days they were all breaking the surface of the soil, came up and put on the first pair of leaves and stalled. Haven’t done a thing in 5 days now.

2 Likes

Personally I think it’s a problem with the seeds, seems like they were crappy genetics from the start and now you’re trying to grow their weirdo inbred offspring lol :drooling_face:

It sucks, but I’d start something new (and trustworthy) before wasting time on whatever might come out of those.

1 Like

Sort of what I’m thinking myself @beacher . Seems like such a terrible thing to kill nature’s creation. Unless it’s known to be a male cannabis plant, of course.

This is what I “thought” I grew last year -
Sour Girl, Lambs Breath, White Widow, Candy Cane, Northern Lights, Revolver, Early Miss, Jack Herer, NYC Diesel, Amnesia Haze, Train Wreck.

Lord knows what I ended up with. Perhaps the rest of the beans I have should end up being mixed with a bit of soil and spread in the wild?

1 Like

Ya if you have a spot chuck them somewhere out of the way and see what they might do…just keep that Frankenstein pollen away from whatever else you plant!

2 Likes

Well beacher, The decision has been made. @SamwellBB has graciously reached out and offered to help me out with some of his Baked Beanz. The bro’ sent me a list as long as my arm as asked me to take my pick. Left me absolutely speechless.

I can’t begin to thank him enough for reaching out to help a brother in a time of need.

SamwellBB’s generosity makes my decision about which direction head incredibly easy. These beans I have left over from last’s years disaster are going to be set free in the wild to do whatever nature will have them do. The Niagara portion of the Bruce Trail is about a 5 minute walk from here and I think it would make a fine resting place for them.

6 Likes

Nice! I think you’ll find people here are very generous!

@SamwellBB, you’re the man, I’m guessing baked beans is your own concoction? What’s the recipe? :dango: Edit: oops missed the link there…sweet looking lineup! All your work?

That portion of the Bruce is beautiful, by the way. I’m not that far away from it myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Crop King Seeds or Crap King Seeds are the problem here. Ive grown out the Crown Royale never had such crappy seeds in my life. The germ rate was meh 7 out of 10 but that could be the operator’s fault so I put them in dirt 2 came up. The one grew normally while the other stalled out. The normal groth plant just sucked out loud in production and tasted awful. The stalled plant I ended up vegging it over a hundred days and the same time in bloom was super frosty tasted like limes and produced a little over an oz.

He claims they’re from Canada but its just another Spainish bulk seeds seller with fancy packaging and marketing don’t support them.

3 Likes

Small world. I’m not actually in Niagara region, just real close to the Niagara leg of The Bruce. If that makes any sense at all.

1 Like

Once bit, twice shy.

1 Like

Definitely makes sense, same kinda deal here. By the way what baked beanz did you end up choosing? Alot of Nice stuff there to choose from.

1 Like

Without a word of a lie, I’ve never been so phucking awe struck with a strain list. He said pick any 5. I really couldn’t decide, so I sent him a list and said I’d be more than grateful for anything, just don’t hurt yourself helping me out. I don’t do humble well and feel like I’m stealing one of his kids even accepting his generosity.

I asked for -
Tora Tsu (Tora Bora (LA Confidential x X18) and Harle-Tsu) x Kimbo Kush x Harlequin (RUN CBD genetics) x Point Break (SOC) CBD strain = First Aid
5 Point Break (SOC) CBD strain
3 Cube (Exotic) = Lemon Ice Cube
4 Blood Orange x GG#4 BX1
2 Wedding cake x Gelato # 33
2 Spitting Cobra
2 Dosido # 9 #36

(Ya, I know that’s 7. I couldn’t decide!! :grinning: )

More of his work here and here.

5 Likes

Nice choices, cool to see some CBD stuff in there too.

2 Likes

Big up to Samwell for coming to your rescue. I see 5 strains there that I would jump on pretty quick! lol.

Have fun and watch the difference in good fresh genetics. Make sure to post a pic or two of the booty!

peace

2 Likes

@beacher I had to jump on the CBD’s.

@GMan I expect they’ll end up in a diary of sorts. I’m terrible for remembering to document s**t though, but I’ll try. Booty? Naw, you don’t want to see that. She’s getting there though. As for the bounty, you betcha!

Impatience is gonna kill me…

3 Likes