HeirloomWizard's landrace adventures: 20 years of search for the lost gems

Yeah growing heirloom tomatoes and peppers is addictive as well! I’ve been even trying some hybrids and it’s way more rewarding than breeding with Cannabis, being an autogamous plant, which makes everything much easiert!

I never wrote articles on peppers because I feel I’m fairly new into this scene, so it’s more like a hobby to me. But I’ve been reading amazing papers on pepper diversity from Mexico and Peru. I’m a big lover of the Aji family from Peru, Bolivia and so on.

I’ve grown this wild pepper, probably Capsicum frutescens, sourced by a friend who found them in a local market in Yucatan, Mexico. Very prolific and sturdy. They are ridiculous but as tiny as they are, also super hot! If you want seeds shoot me a PM.

I also have some others I collected personally form Vietnam.

And this is a heirloom from Hawaii that a good friend and Cannabis grower sent me some years ago. They turn orange-red when ripe:

21 Likes

Good to see you here my old friend. I’m sure about that, it will be my pleasure to share my thoughts and expriences with anyone interested.

For those who don’t know, ElChischas is one of the oldest friends I keep since the very beginnings of the the landrace scene. He was part of the original Vibes Collective too and close to Charlie Garcia and Estai from Cannabiogen, who were some of my mentors at the time, as well as other many common friends.

He has been blessing us with amazing genetics for years, giving us the chance to experience true Mexican sativas for many years. Glad he’s still active and contributing, because there are not many of us left from those years.

25 Likes

Following with some of my favorite African genetics, I will be honored to introduce a line that became very special for me, the Purple Congolese.

Many years ago, I got to know an OG grower from the same area as Raco had some amazing African sativas. I got in touch with him and we started having interesting conversations about the old imports and his stories. He was growing two particular strains, one being from Mexico and another from Congo. He told me the story on how this seeds ended in his hands.

During a fishing caimpaing in the coast of Angola, they met some local fishermen who wanted to trade some fish and goods. Fishermen life was tought at the time, workers would spend maybe 4-6 months living in the boat and isolated with another bunch of people until the campaign ended and they returned back home with their families. Many of these people were heavy drinkers or smokers and I understand why they often tried to escape from that tiring routine and isolation. So knowing many of the seaman from the ship were smokers, they asked to the local guys if they could get some weed. So the deal was echanging a dried fish box (cod fish, very traditional) for a few bags of weed. Eventually, the locals arrived with the weed and from what they said, it was Congolese. My friend returned back home with a bunch of heavily seeded buds and because he enjoyed that dark African smoke so much, he tried to grow some in his backyard and has been growing those for many years along with a nice Mexican as well.

After a few months of conversation, I knew I had to travel in order to visit him and see those plants in person. So I’ve organized a short road trip with my lady in order to visit Raco and him. We all met at the city and I’ve invited them to a nice lunch. And then, we headed with the guy to his house, which was 1-2h from the main city. We spent a few days there, meeting his wife and feeling very welcomed. He was also interested in birds and had a beautiful collection of exotic roosters and hens he would breed with. Of course he also had a beautiful garden, where he grew different plants, including the Congo and Mexican bagseeds, along with other hybrids, including some from Delicatessen Seedbank. But he admited the hybrids didn’t do the job for him, becuase he needed something functional,a proper daytime smoke.

After leaving, he gifted me a few jars of weed, including some Mexican, some seeded Congolese buds and so on. He was happy to found someone truly passionate about the plants and gave me his blessing to grow and use those seeds for my own projects, so it became a very special gift to me with a special story behind.

Some pictures from the Congolese plants I’ve grown a few years ago:

I’m loving the leaves and the burgundy stems.

Early flo:

Another bunch grown in California:

This was grown in NorCal by my good friend Budularo, former partner of Tom Hill, the plants usually finish in early December:

The plants have an interesting mix between the traditional african spicy piney flavour and some fruity hints that resemble to grape or licorice. The high is very inspiring, great to listen to music or do creative tasks.

37 Likes

I really enjoy these stories about past adventures. Im very happy to know that many of you fellows are friends from the old days. I am glad that I grew up when I did. I was a pot farmer for 43 + years and I have had an adventuous life and I would not trade those memories for the world. Once I toyed with the idea of writing a book about my life but I realized that it would amount to a “ full confession” that would put me in prison for decades so I quickly dropped that idea. I hope you have many stories to tell.

10 Likes

Nice read ! Greetings to OG hope you find a home here ! Lots of good coversations give a little take a little ! Cheers !

4 Likes

Your pepper and marijuana plants look amazing @Heirloomwizard . And the information and stories about where you acquired your seeds are very cool to read. Thanks for posting.

4 Likes

Welcome! Love having even more landrace/heirloom love around here!

4 Likes

Hello, I am another one who lives on the north coast of Spain :roll_eyes:
I am a lover of landraces sativa :blush: and I am also a freelance author, although in a different area than yours :rofl: and I want to grow food with my organic solutions :man_farmer:

I have read your story with great delight, it has made me remember many things that I experienced, I do not belong nor have I belonged to the cannabis industry, I am just an organic and rebellious farmer, growing at home with my own fertilizers and techniques.

I lived in the Canary Islands for a few years and grew Congo seeds, at that time the fishing boats brought tons of African grass, well, they called everything Congo, I traveled to several African countries and always brought seeds, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Morocco, Algeria, some I grew, others I gave to a friend who was a guerrilla in Cantabria. I also lived in Brazil and not farmed there, but I got fed up with smoking for four cents.

I have been a mere consumer since that time, but I coughed a lot on commercial herbs, so 4 years ago I started growing at home and experimenting with all kinds of Bio Fertilizers and etc… I stopped coughing! :nerd_face:

Today I get the most out of the small indoor growing spaces I have, I use almost 40 stable and specialized formulas of Bio Fertilizers and Hydrolysates, I modify the morphology of the plants with light and above all I really enjoy growing and competing with myself. Welcome!

16 Likes

any more info on these Vietnamese peppers? beautiful plants all around!

2 Likes

Big welcome to OG. love the stories, love the history, love the land race. I look forward to seeing and hearing more not only about your great adventures but your extensive work with the land race.

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I look forward to learning a lot more from your posts. Great to have you here!

:peace_symbol:

3 Likes

@StoneGuru might find this interesting :eyes:

also, very cool thread! Awesome to see more knowledgeable landrace lovers around :grin:

7 Likes

bird peppers (thai) are also fantastic!

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve collected those when visiting North Vietnam. I’ve brought some from a local market in Hai Phong area and also some others from other places.

Everytime you would grab street food, they usually gave you a plastic bag with some fresh herbs, the classic fish sauce, plus some limes and peppers in order to prepare the dipping sauce by mixing the chilis and lime juice with fish sauce. I kept a bunch of those peppers and saved the seeds as well. They are the classic upright bird’s eye type like the Thais and others from SE Asia. But very prolific and with a nice punch:

Some more pics from that season’s garden:

You can see who they are much thicker than the Mexican Chile de Arbol here. The smaller red ones are two phenotypes of an old type from Chiapas that @Elchischas sent years ago, plus some small orange Habaneros and yellow Ajies from Bolivia:

Sorry about all the pepper craze guys, I’ll post some more ganja pics later!! :wink:

28 Likes

Ok back to some African ganja landraces that I’ve been growing before.

I remember back then, the only commercial sources for African genetics were these two seed companies, African Seeds and Afropips. Also Seedsman, who had their own version of African Seeds Swazi and Malawi, as some of these companies were located in the UK.

Of course African bagseeds were common in places like coastal Spain and Portugal and also the African communities living in South London, where Nigerian or South African weed was also failry common. In Amstedam some coffee shops also had available South African weed from time to time, so if you were lucky enough you could find a bunch of seeds and try them at home. I still remember my first trip to Amsterdam, rather than visiting the most famous coffee shops, I’ve decieded to hit the smallest ones that instead of fancy hybrids still had some Thai, Jamaican, South African or Ghana buds in their menus. The vendor was looking at me with surprise, offering me the most sold strains from their menu instead and preaching about potency and quality… but I knew what I wanted.

Anyway, back to the Afropips company… I’ve always wanted to try the infamous Malawi dagga so I’ve decided to grab a package of African Buzz from Seedsman and germinate some Malawi Gold seeds that a friend had left from an original Afropips pack, which I’ve found were the best representations I could access. I’ve only obtained a few females but I’ve found interesting plants at the time:

Loved the maroon petioles and slender leaves:

The flowers had the classic airy and spiral structure from other African ganja types.

Later I’ve had access to other interesting Malawi accesions, after several discussions at the Vibes Collective, we found out the most interesting versions were the one from Green Hornet Seed Co, followed by Doc GT’s Malawi Gold, who also had an interesting Swazi strain.

This is Doc GT’s Malawi, that was originally preserved by my fellow Lynx from the Vibes Co:

Around 15 years ago I had the chance to get in touch with Green Hornet’s breeder and former owner, an US expat called John who had moved to Switzerland and started a small seed bussines in the golden era of Swiss Cannab scene.

After exchanging lots of messages and experiences, we got a long very well and knowing my interest in preserving and breeding with tropical landraces, he decided to gift me his seed collection. Despite there were many other strains like Very Berry, Erdbeer and some other works too, the main focus was trying to preserve the NLDs.

I’ve received two different lines of the Malawi Gold, one that was released and the other that was slightly
longer flowering.The Malawi #1 was green, large and vigorous. The Malawi #2 was more compact and produced purple and gold colors in the end of the flowering. I’ve also received fresh F2 seeds from a good friend from the Vibes Co who had reproduced the Malawi already.

These are some of the Green Hornet’s Malawi Gold plants I grew that season:

Interesting red stems as well on this line:

Shape is quite different from Afropip’s Malawi:

Males were good, unlike other different landraces that seem to be usually intersex:

Flowering Malawis indoors:

Very wispy but still better leaf/ratio than Doc GT’s and better terpenes than Afropip’s, since apart from the African spicy piney phenos, there are some nice fruity ones that can smell a bit like strawberries or pinneapple mixed with turpentine:

I’ve been working with this Malawi line for several years and me and John had some plans on releasing some of this collaborations after he gave me his blessing to carry on with his work, after all he didn’t have the time and space to grow sativas and was focusing on other projects instead, as he was planning to start a seed bussiness again. But due to some health issues and difficulties to start a legal seed shop it never happened in the end.

I’ve also grown the “Killer” Malawi cut that ACE used to produce their version but I never enjoyed that because being too sedating and not up to the standards I expect from a true Malawi ganja type. The compact look and abundant trichomes show some serious degree of hybridization, which made me loose any interest on using those for my own projects.

I had a friend who seem to love Mulanje Gold from Malberry Seeds and i’ve seen some decent looking pictures from the Malwai from SOA Seeds a well. No experience with any other versions so far.

34 Likes

I grew this Malawi Gold (anesia seeds) at the beginning of the year, the phenotype is very different, the smoke is to my taste. :roll_eyes:

21 Likes

You already got a very good chillies collection hermano :nerd_face:

All my time here at mayan peninsula I’ve been trying different and rare mayan chillies, there’s a very small one called ‘Max’ that i’m sure You already got it
I was thinking preserve all the heirloom mayan seeds but Unfortunately i lost almost all the seeds that I already had saved… so i’m just gonna keep the classic Habanero pepper seeds. No hybrid just the original one.
The best chillie to enjoy in my opinion. It got the best flavor and still being hot.

15 Likes

Hey @Elchischas . Have you ever found any wild ditchweed on yhe Mayan penninsula ? Im just curious. :grin: :rainbow:

5 Likes

Wow, brother @Heirloomwizard , what a great read. A real treasure trove!
It’s always so excellent to see how a plant(s) can set the course for our lives.
So glad to have ya, and cannot wait to see more posts from you!

Thank you for your work, and dedication.

Cheers

6 Likes

Definately something interesting from mayan villages on the jungle…
maybe in the near future I can show it

8 Likes