HeirloomWizard's landrace adventures: 20 years of search for the lost gems

Yes, Please ! That would be very interesting to see.

4 Likes

On ic mag dubi straight up says Anesia malawi gold is a stolen ace strain, having grown this what do you think?
Oh and RSC lol

6 Likes

Hola @Heirloomwizard
So great to read your posts. I respect and appreciate your experience. Looking forward to learning more.
Peace, and welcome

7 Likes

Hello, I cannot comment because I do not know the counterpart of ACS seeds, and espionage between companies does not interest me.
For me the plant grew very well, and I am satisfied with the production and the smoke, I will repeat it.

I was looking at ACE Malawi crops, and the phenotypes and morphology are different from the variety I have grown. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Could be, Spanish seed companies have been doing that for decades, so it wouldn’t be surprising. I’m not familiar with that company anyway. On the other hand, Malawi from Afropips is actually a decent African landrace while ACE’s Malawi has been obviously hybridized, so they would be easy to difference given the case. With the pictures @defharo posted, I would say Anesia version is in fact a repro fom an older ACE release, since you would never find those chunky compact buds within the Afropips Malawi seeds. I remember ACE remade their Malawi after all the questioning on ICMag and growers demanding a true sativa looking Malawi plant. I was one of the users who suggested ACE was scamming customers pretending that was a true Malawi landrace and eventually Dubi was even able to ban me for a few weeks in order to shut me up. Because of these companies, some people can be easily deceived in that regard, but knowledge is power. :grin:

19 Likes

Welcome, aboard. Thank you for sharing your stories and historical perspective. It’s nice to see a more diverse selection of Angolan and African genetics being preserved. Excellent work.

4 Likes

Back to the topic, just wanted to share some different hybrids I’ve been producing with Malawi genetics.

This was Malawi Gold x Jamaican Lambsbread, grown by a friend in Australia. The Malawi added some weight to the flowers and improved the structure:

A Zamal GN x Malawi from years ago, great plant to smoke as well, made this one for fun for a friend so he could compare it to his Zamaldelica LOL:

27 Likes

I’ve also produced some BLD x NLD hybrids as part of a collaboration with Green Hornet and my personal tribute to the Swiss cannabis scene of the 90’s and the breeders who were part of it. For these crosses, I only used some of my favorite Swiss genetics.

Swiss Strawberry (Erdbeer) X Malawi Gold:

Sweet Blue x Malawi Gold:

Love the colored stems on this one:

Finally, another hybrid I did for fun, using one of my favourite US cuts, the East Coast Sour Diesel, also crossed with the Malawi Gold male, the mix between the Sour Diesel and spicy African terpenes was interesting and the stems got thicker, holding those chunky buds nicely, a great smoke with an improved high indeed overall:

It’s been interesting to see how the Malawi added a good frame and qualities while letting the keepers express their own character. But that’s what I’m aiming for when selecting males to breed with.

26 Likes

Welcome to OG brotha and what a wealth of knowledge! :coffee: :sunglasses: :vulcan_salute:

Beautiful photos, Thanks for sharing your experiences and past adventures. This shot really caught my eye. I find myself starring the Malawi gold every time I’m in tent. I love the bud structure.

Being stateside I grew up in a indica/BLD world. Finally, I got bitten by the sativa/NLD bug.
Itching to try them :grin:

Here are a couple ladies in flower on Day 84F (TLT) Malawi Gold.

Looking forward to seeing what youre up too next.

18 Likes

Pulling up a chair everything looks awesome can’t wait to see some more pics and updates. Welcome to OG

4 Likes

I just happen to grow pepper too ! Great minds i guess !

And you gotta have sun flowers !

11 Likes

They look nice man! What kind of peppers are those? best.

P.S: I love sunflowers too! We grow some every season!

16 Likes

Those are really pretty sunflower ! I love the colours ! Im just getting started i have always loved plants and i have alot in the house but i started last year and really enjoyed it ! We live in an apartment so there not much you can do or you disturbing someone ! So garden on the balcony just seemed like a good idea for something to do for a couple hours a day get the stress of the day out ! My pepper are banna pepper THCeed is a landscaper and every time i visit him hes always filling me up with the free bees hahaha but my daughter also woks at the library and as the season change the alway have something going on every summer people go to the libraries and leave seeds for donations it got some hierloon pink celery from Alaska its so beuatiful but very slow growing .

6 Likes

That’s a beautiful plant truly! I’ve read of Angolese red and that along with Kilimanjaro and Elephant Stomper have been on my want list of African strains

2 Likes

Hi,
nice to see you here on OG and thanks for sharing your story and amazing plant pictures :blush:

I have a Zamal x Haze in Veg which you have crossed may 15 or 20 years ago.
She is female and looks amazing :heart_eyes:
Thanks for the great work and love you put into this plant!

Sadly she starts to flower under 20/4, hope i can keep her in Veg and save her.
Tips are welcome of course. Repotted and put her under 24 hours of light now.
Also just took 5 Cuts from lower branches which not has to start flowering yet.
I have just a few more seeds which went into water today, hope i can veg a male as fast as possible, so i can do a repro of this beauty.

The white stuff on the leaves is just sulfur from disease prevention.

15 Likes

Hello brother! Thanks for sharing some pictures of that beauty! Yeah the weird flowering is a common behaviour from the Zamal GN Collection plants. I had many issues to maintain my mother plants as well because of that. I was moslty using “bonsai” techniques, repotting with a little root pruning every few weeks depending on the size, usually this plus enough light seem to work but some plants may be more difficult than others.

Hopefully you’ll find a better plant to keep and the Haze may add some stability to them!

Looking foward to see how those finish.

Best.

9 Likes

Zamal x Haze - such a beauty.
The other seeds didn´t germinate :pensive:

With just a female i think i cross her with some Haze, the best i can do to preserve it in a way :heartbeat:

16 Likes

Aiiihhheeee! The ones at the top especially the green and red ones are 'Chingao!" Or the little ones round like peas—OMG!

You are very welcome to the board. Your knowledge will help so many of us that while having years at it are newbies compared to you and elchischas.

3 Likes

Sorry about the lack of updates… it’s been a busy summer this year and I couldn’t find the time to sit and relax so I could write like I should! Anyway, in order to keep going with the African plants I’ve grown I wanted to introduce the Gambian.

Gambia and Senegal have always been favorite destinations for stoners in Spain along with Morocco and Nepal. The good climate and good air connections, together with the atmosphere of local tolerance have made several communities of hippies and rastas flourish, making the area an ideal destination for those looking for a relaxed tourism and to be able to smoke something without problems.

The Republic of The Gambia occupies just a small piece of land corresponding to the Gambia River valley in the middle of Senegal, which completely surrounds it. It is understandable therefore that most Gambian grass is cultivated and comes from the neighboring country, where most of the cultivated land is located. This makes it difficult to verify the origin of the genetics, because many times the buds acquired in Gambia, were cultivated in places of Senegal like Casamance or Kafountine.

I am lucky to have a good friend from Senegal, who has always been able to tell me things about his culture and has also brought me seeds on occasion. He has a house there and travels there once a year, so I plan at some point to visit him and make a trip to the area.

The fields are iften located in remote areas or tiny islands between the mangroves like the island of Ginak. The region is quite dry and with sandy soil poor in organic matter, however plants are grown and receive a basic amendment in the form of some manure or food compost and two harvests per season are grown without problems despite the limited resources of the local farmers. This makes the plants very interesting an sturdy genetics to breed with. They exhibit great vigor when grown in rich soil and good conditions.

Some pictures of the crazy conditions of the local fields:

Notice the plants grow in small pits in the sand where they are watered and fertilized.

Some more pictures from a trip to Senegal that Tiki Seeds breeder posted on a forum in 2011 and can also illustrate the field characteristics:

Now lets take a closer look to the plants from the Gambian P1 generation that was first grown indoors:

The leaves are super thin when flowering and get long hairs all over the place, giving them this fluffly look:

They start filling up nicely as flowering advances:

Getting close to finish at 16-18 weeks:

Pollinated plant with seeded calyxes:

Some plants were pollianted with Senegal Buddha from Kafountine that was obtained from Tropical Seed Co’s breeder:

A flowering Senegalese for reference, a bit more compact IMHO:

22 Likes

I also want to share some pictures of the Gambia x Senegal hybrid that a friend grown.

The plants start with huge leaves like many other Africans I’ve grown:

But they show their true colors as they start flowering:

Closer to finish, the aromas go from tropical fruit to pine and frankincense:

Finally, some other Gambia x Senegal plants that were grown outdoors:

Under cold temps, the flowers can show some beautiful color tones. I love the elegant serration of the leaves too.

More to come, hope everyone has a great weekend!

34 Likes