HeirloomWizard's landrace adventures: 20 years of search for the lost gems

Always enjoying your updates, thanks for sharing …beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing these Gambian plants. That last picture in bloom with the very narrow leaves is just spectacular. While you are telling us about these africans, have you ever grown Nigerian? Someone sent me some and I never have gotten around to growing them out.

Thanks again for sharing these with us.

3 Likes

macgyver-approved-macgyver

EDIT: Thanks for sharing the above, the provenance, history and cultural context really gives the particular cultivars more character IMO. Hoping that the Gambia x Senegal is not extinct? From the pics shown and that description you provided is in grail territory, hunting for those long time flowering landrace lines that contain frankincense phenos

6 Likes

I’ve only grown the Nigerian from African Seeds or Afropips, I can’t remember but the plants didn’t look very pure in comparison to other similar strains from the companies.

On the other hand, Nigerian imports were quite renowned all over the Spanish coastal towns as well, just like Cabo Verde, Guinean, Angolese or Congolese. Most people spoke highly about them and the smoke. Unfortunately that was decades ago and missed the chance to try them.

It will be defintiely interesting to see how those grow… do you have more information about the source or background?

Best.

6 Likes

Like I mentioned, someone long ago sent me these. I haven’t germed them but I guess I should. Can’t tell what you have until you grow it.

3 Likes

@Heirloomwizard great thread, back stories & pics !!!

I have found that India and Nepali sativa are generally under-represented here in North America

Have you worked with any that you would recommend ?

thanks

10 Likes

Uhuh that’s funny, I’m growing some F2 from kerala’s work :smiley: Though probably not the one you’d pick: afghanhammer :wink:

Keep up the good posts!

1 Like

…to be correct,Jinak is an peninsula,they just call it Coconut-Island. i´ve been there in 1999…

…a nice place to chill

12 Likes

A late 'Welcome" Glad you started a on-line presence ! Welcome - sure sounds like your a Sativa man. learned much from your posts – Keep them coming

1 Like

Sure, I also believe those genetics have been under-represented among the commercial genepool… commercial hybrids with Indian genetics like White Widow, actually look like nothing that resembles remotely to a proper traditional South Indian sativa from the Western Ghats, Munnar or Kerala areas. Same with things like the Highland Nepalese from Reeferman, that also has a hybrid look that made me question about its true origins or lineage.

I personally don’t have a lot of experience with Nepalese or Indian genetics because we must remember that back then, the access to exotic seeds was generally very limited. There was a South Indian strain that a friend from the Vibes Collective sourced during a trip to Goa and a few travellers and climbers from Spain have also brought different seeds from Nepal during their trips. This were very wild though… I still have 4 different local accesions from different villages from Nepal that a friend collected in Nangarkot, Gurjung, … They have tiny seeds. I will offer some of those to trade, so they can be reproduced and shared with other people who wants to have access to legit and hand collected Nepalese landraces. Here some pics next to the Kerala:

What I’ve grown with great success was the first release of the South Indian Kerala (Idukki) from the Real Seed Company. It was quicker than I expected, had a great structure, good aromas and enjoyable high. Here are some pictures to document them:

Also the Goa bagseeds that happened to be grown in Kerala as well, but I don’t have the pictures at hand.

Rahan from the Vibes Collective use to have a different South Indian named Mumbai Mitai, originally sourced and shared by a guy called Gelato, who told me the seeds were sourced in Andra Pradesh state.

Best.

24 Likes

Amazing man! I appreciate the information! My friend also told me great stuff about that place and thought it was actually a true island.

Anyway the pictures look great and have a lovely analog color and vintage look, they would make great postcards! Definitely a great place to chill. That field picture you posted is another great example of this sand-growing plants! It’s crazy to see the plants grown in such harsh conditions.I wonder if the area actually changed much in the past 2 decades due to the tourism and globalization. I need to get down to Senegal and Gambia sometime, while I still have a contact from the area and see it with my own eyes.

Best.

10 Likes

We’ve been to Gambia in February 99, the plants in the pic are grown durin the winter-season(almost 12/12h days), thats why they are that small. In the summertime they get much bigger, the locals said. The fields fertilized with dryed fish remains…and brackish water from wells they digged close to the ocean

10 Likes

I remember that many years ago Wesos sent me that Indian crossed with the old Jamaican Lambreads ,1960.
He told me that the cross produced plants with branches upon branches.

9 Likes

Stunning work as always brotha. The parental lines are both gorgeous, that Gambian like fluffy clouds of diamonds :green_heart: incredible looking culmination in the cross!

Was that South Indian/Mitai ever used to much extent in out-cross? I’ve seen the odd mention alongside the Lambsbread, apparently quite similar? Seems to have been the focus of preservation and not so much for F1…possibly quite finicky and the LB achieved the “same” traits in hybrids?

Excited to see the work with the African lines! And actual narrow leafs :wink::green_heart: all the best brotha

7 Likes

I’m so thrilled you created this thread. It’s people and stories like this that made me join this community and I can’t get enough of your stories! As someone who joined only recently, I really appreciate experienced guys like @Elchischas and yourself, as you are the few people who can connect me to the intricacies of the past and shed some light on genetics and help me distinguish between what is legit and what is not!

About the Dubi’s Malawi, I know you said “cut”, but I wanted to make sure. Are you talking about the unadulterated Killer Malawi cut that he originally had, before he crossed it to anything? Did it show some BLD traits right from the get go? Or did those traits showed up later on, in what he holds in seed form?
Also, I’ve heard someone on icmag (I think it was MAHA KALA) that they found the cut in African Seeds stock. Does anyone know about the source of that cut?

I’m not familiar with the Tom Hill’s North Indian. Is that Kashmir or rather North East India?

I’m assuming the Purple Congolese is from the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

7 Likes

IIRC some think that PCK was introduced early in the ACE malawi program, and was already there in the first “killer malawi” cut. But as Dubi never clarified anything, that’s just speculations.

6 Likes

I recall reading the same about the PCK.
Ace seems to be always ‘fiddling’ around, their Golden Tiger is on it’s third spin!?! :smirk:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Yeah from what I read/understood, it was like the PCK was the only male he had initially. So he used it on everything else to make reg seeds. And then maybe worked it from there. Idk :man_shrugging: but it’s kept me off buying a bunch of his seeds.

6 Likes

It was a bit of a trend at some point in spain and france to use PCK males on sativas. There were of a few flying around. Some breeders were more open and honest about it, some were more dubious :wink:

4 Likes

If you are looking for real landraces ACE isn’t the best option

4 Likes