Help identifying pest

Can anyone give me a quick ID on this bug eating my leaf? Thanks!

7 Likes

Kinda hard to tell, but it looks like an aphid to me.

7 Likes

Almost looks like a baby tick of some sorts with that flatter back side

6 Likes

The damage looks like thrips, but the bug is not long like a thrip. I thought aphid as well.

4 Likes

All that said, the “damage trail” is kinda leaf-miner-y too. :man_shrugging:

:axe:

:partying_face:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I agree with the others. looks like an aphid. :thinking:

4 Likes

I would agree. Looks like Leafminers and an aphid. Spinosad should work on both.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bonide-32-oz-Captain-Jack-s-Deadbug-Brew-Ready-To-Use-2506/203564356

5 Likes

If it’s aphids then that’s an indicator of too much nitrogen, they help your plant slow down so it doesn’t stretch and grow too fast. If you’re using nutrients back off on the N. If you’re not using nutrients then just leave it alone. Plants growing too fast become weak and shitty. Some minor damage won’t affect potency, it’s actually beneficial.

1 Like

Thanks, all, for the advice. As you can see it’s really pretty big. At first I thought mite, but that would be some kind of super-mite. I took the pic with my cell phone at a good distance away. It was the only one I saw in my quarantine tent. If I find another I’ll get the scope on it so we can see the ugly details.

I’ve been using IPM weekly. I think this bug was actually dead when I snapped the pic. Like it ate the leaf and died on its way.

I grow in reused water only soil, so I’m well acquainted with different kinds of bugs, good and bad. This was a new one to me though. Now I’m kind of hoping to see another, and if so, I’ll hold back my urge to instantly destroy it.

4 Likes

To me, it seem shaped like a mite but it is hard to tell in that photo. If it’s as large as you say, I’m opting to say female ‘tick’ of some sort. What it’s doing on/to your plant, have no idea … Microscope photo would be helpful if you see another.

2 Likes

I had a similar one, if it had a big head aswell could be a springtail … hum|nullxnull

b321a3b835a43ddc3b1aa2ca5c156acd4e9d03a5_2_303x375

3 Likes

Here’s my crazy speculation. I know I have low leveI thrips in this quarantine tent. After IPM the larvae die and are left on the leaf like little brown shriveled hot dogs. I think the leaf damage was caused by a thrip, and then this bug came along and is eating the dead thrip hotdog. You can almost see it in its mouth. I just need a better pic. Either way, no new sightings today.

4 Likes

What is IPM?

Integrated Pest Management. I have been using @nube recipe since this post with great success.

I also use Mammoth CannControl once a month to mix it up a bit.

When I transplant I also use some gnatrol to water them in. Reused soil gets lots of bugs.

2 Likes

Ah, I just let the bugs do what they do. Only slugs I pick out when I see them and throw them on my flat roof for birds to pick up or dry out and die.

I’ve never had any plants ruined by bugs except fungus gnat larves. But that’s only the seedlings, once they establish deeper roots the larves don’t bother my plants. I keep adding chopped up banana peels on top so they leave the roots alone.

I have lots of fungus gnats because I did an experiment where I put my pots and bags in about an inch of water for a few months to see and learn what actually happens.
I lost 3 or 4 seedlings but apart from that my plants grew just fine.

Now gonna dry everything out completely and then water again from the bottom but only a few liters at a time while keeping the topsoil dry. Perhaps that would be ideal. Gonna find out.

1 Like

Without a better picture, I’m going with stink bug. If it is in fact a stink bug, I wouldn’t really worry about it. :v:

stink_bugs.pdf (2.2 MB)

2 Likes

Stink bug for $500, Bob. Now that’s interesting. We have stink bugs EVERYWHERE around here. They’re constantly in our house. But I’ve never seen a small one like that, maybe a kiddo? And I’ve never seen one interested in my plants. But it’s an obvious answer that I’ve completely overlooked.

5 Likes

Ya, kinda hard to tell without a better picture, but that’s what first came to my mind when I saw it. Doesn’t look like an aphid to me. Kadie Britt from Virginia Tech has been doing a lot of research on pests of cannabis/hemp.

Britt et al. 2019 First report of bmsb associated with cannabis sativa in the us copy.pdf (586.2 KB)

1 Like

Well if you can see it more clearly, first thing would be to count the legs. Six legs, it’s an insect. Eight legs would be a mite. Next look at the abdomen, an aphid will have two small “tailpipes” in the back.

6 Likes

I’ve had them in my compost, must have been eggs or something like that, because I had a bunch (20 or 30) of little black and yellow or orange stink bugs crawling up my bamboo poles back in the winter sometime. I thought I had some pictures somewhere, I’ll try to find them. they went straight up the bamboo to the medicine bottle I have on top that I tie my limb supports upon, strange sight.

regards,

2 Likes