Herm x male =?

So I have a do si dos x (dosidos x fortune cookies) “herm”, but it happens to be my favorite smoke, and just an overall beautiful plant to look at… So i figured best way to keep it around would be to make seed. For the male I was thinkig about my using my pnw hp x puck.

So my question is will the resulting seeds be regs or something else? I dont mind if the herm trait carries over bc its so fire. When i say herm i mean it makes 5 seeds at harvest. Theres not bananas everywhere. Obviously i could take a clone, but im thinking longterm. Heres my current plant, third picture is the mother that gave the seeds…

7 Likes

If it’s for personal smoke, herm schmerm who cares :man_shrugging::+1::+1:

Some of the most popular strains in the last 40+ yrs were obtained similarly. I say go for it. If there’s a male involved, yes the seeds will be regs

9 Likes

Okay thats all i need to know, perfect. I was hoping they would end up regs.

4 Likes

You also spray it with STS and get it to produce pollen on a branch or two and self it.

1 Like

That would be ideal but i dint have acess to that stuff. Maybe ill look into it

1 Like

If you decide at some point to try it. I suggest you get the base ingredients to make your own. I could never use all the STS i can make now but it would have cost the same to buy some premade spray good for only a few plants. OG has some great recipes on here if you go that route. Good luck to you on your grow.

2 Likes

Oh okay i appreciate the tip. Sounds like a good way to keep my favorites. I dont have room for clones.

If it’s a herm you don’t need to spray, and you don’t need a male also… each run you do, you should have some beans on the buds
No reason to hit it with some random male…

1 Like

Some plants made seeds some didnt. Its strange thats why i was thinking about making more bc i only have 1 seed left of this stuff. Wasnt sure what to do bc i have no room for clones.

You dont think the a pollen chuck would be a good idea? I know nothing about breeding just growing. Its a hermi prone strain to begin with i think its dosidos x (dosidos x fortune cookie). Whats funny is i hate cookies but love this stuff…go figure.

1 Like

Pollen chuck away but not a male…
Either self your cut or make it more herm so you’ll get more seeds meaning stress it a bit or some or reverse it with STS or CS
Introducing a male can work both ways but most of the time works against you as Instead of sifting through the genetic you smoked and liked you now added 50% random genetic traits
Further seed hunts from that batch can be discouraging
If reversing is not an option, use a male :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good advice i appreciate it. :pray: Ill have to think it over, but im leaning towards making the hybrid. I personally like going through seeds and finding unique individuals. Thnx again

2 Likes

Consolidating some of the earlier suggestions: Your best bet may be to run the beans you harvested from the plant and find one with the fire you want that doesn’t herm, then cross that female S1 with a male for seeds to hunt through for something unique. That’s the best of both worlds in that it leaves you with a mom that delivers what you want flower-wise from undiluted genetics that can also serve as a basis for a more (potentially) stable population to hunt through.

It’s one extra generation, but maybe worth the time/effort.

1 Like

Good point and thanx for the tip! Ive got about 3 weeks to figure out what im going to do. I just happen to have a male around so figured why not use him.

1 Like

Yea, males can be a PIA to keep unless you have a dedicated space. You can always flower him out and collect pollen for later use too.

And I’m with you on the Cookies lines, most are disappointing, but when there is a good one it can be hella good.

2 Likes

Indeed there’s fire in cookies, just have to sift through.

For small time growers or breeders, reversing is the best/quickest bet.
If your cut is lacking, crossing to another fem which has those traits are the next step.
If no fem as such exist, cross to a male.

It’s pretty straight forward in the sense that it goes back to your og fem and if your selection of it was good enough

Basic rule in “breeding” is you always select better specimens from before (according to what you desire)

Edit - if no such specimen is reached you pop more seeds of it, if all fail you cross and again repeat or start over.

3 Likes

Ya man this stuff has the most loud floral soapy terpenes, nothing bakery about this. Really in your face kinda smell that translates exact to the taste. Like puffing on soap suds, not for everybody. But i absolutely love it. Hard to belive the smell comes from a 3 way cookie cross, crazy how that is.Thanx again for all the wonderful info

2 Likes

What do you mean by bagseed? You found it in a bag you bought? Or you grew it and it definitely hermed on itself?

The thing with “herms” is a bit overblown today. Every single plant is a herm. Some just show easier than others.

If you did grow it… Im guessing it wasnt an absolute full blown hermie or you would have definitely tossed it.

I see no issue with making seeds from this. I think youd be surprised by the results honestly.

2 Likes

Very cool, I had a herm 6 months ago that had a killer headband punch, knocked me out cold haha didn’t take clones of it unfortunately but I have some seeds that I found in the buds I’ll def pop in the future to see if another special smoke might surprise me :yum:

3 Likes

Basically everything we grow today started from a herm.

Chem > OG > Cookies created the vast majority of the things we grow today. Some of the best things at that.

3 Likes

The seeds were bought originally then those hermed. Im growing the hermed seeds from the grower not the originals if that makes sense. So i guess there bagseed herms lol idk :man_shrugging:. Heres 2 that i recently grew from the same seed. You can clearly see the fortune cookie in these 2 while my current one leans dosidos. Im almost postive it wasnt pollinated by anything originally. All individuals hav looked like the parents.

I sent a few of these to radicalreefer too. Hope he tries them at some point :v:

2 Likes