How can I hold clones in stasis? (the fridge method)

This technique, first noticed by subcool, tommy, and myself, can be useful for a number of reasons. It is possible for very small scale cultivators to grow without the use of mother plants. It is also possible to hold males in reserve without wasting space or worrying about dropped pollen. It all involves your standard kitchen refridgerator.

The crisper drawer and a ziploc bag provide a suitable stasis chamber for a fresh cutting for upwards of EIGHT weeks. In order to obtain this sort of longevity in the fridge, the bag containing the dry, unrooted branches should be opened to breathe at least once a week.

Clones kept in the fridge this way actually root faster than non-fridged clones once they are removed-- up to a point of 2 or 3 weeks, when they will take longer to root and you may lose a few. When they are removed from the fridge to be replanted, be sure to recut the stem with a fresh X-acto blade or scalpel.

Holding clones in “fridge stasis” offers many new possibilities for testing many different males, holding strains while evaluating, changing the way you time your mothers, etc.

2 Likes

Great Info I don’t do this now but I was talking about it on tonights show.

Sub

4 Likes

It works, I personally would not recommend chilling them for more than 2 weeks.

This is a big deal for people like me that go to cali and pick up clones, either rooted or fresh cuts, keep them cool when transporting them.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing link? Thx!

My Show is both Live and Recorded Search The Weed Nerd on Youtube

Sub

5 Likes

I do this, but I use a different technique.

I place the clones in a pickle jar with R/O water. Then I place a large freezer bag over the clones & put them on the bottom shelf of my fridge. You have to be careful not to freeze them if you keep your fridge too cold. I just pulled some out that had a eighth inch layer of ice over the top of the water. They have been in stasis for at least 4 weeks, maybe 5. I’ll post back when they root or don’t root.

4 Likes

I’ve held mine for 4 and 5 weeks in zip loc bags with all the air sucked out of them. I keep in crisper that’s not to be opened or anything else kept with them. I’ve also vacuumed sealed them without a problem. Always recut at 45 and I scar the stems but that’s just a habit regardless

1 Like

I won’t mention the site but I think in 08 or so I had a thread I made about this because I just was holding onto so many nice cuts at the time I did this out of necessity and it worked. I had no clue it was just a guess for me at the time but I was sick of just tossing cuts out because I didn’t have room.

1 Like