How did cannabis reach the New World

I’ll look for that source of that dna data, if its listed. Or maybe a map of where certain haplogroups are from. I think it was the X haplogroup…

3 Likes

Cool! Lots of good info will come from that find! It’s like an ancient library.

3 Likes

True statement…I read in the book 1491 that the population of Mexico city today may just be reaching what it was before the Spanish arrived. The pilgrims from Plymouth Rock only survived their first winter because they encountered an entirely empty village, whose inhabitants had probably recently died , or fled in Terror , complete with buildings and food stores . Apparently they made the trans-oceanic journey too late in the season for a garden. (July. First attempt, September, 2nd attempt, arriving in December)and nobody had thought about that . It was just blind luck that they survived. I seem to remember that they didn’t have nearly enough food for the winter aboard the ship , and much of their food was used up following their sister ship back to port, when it had to abandon the journey. We talk about the Black Death like it was Humanity’s worst plague, but tell that to the inhabitants of the Western Hemisphere 500 years ago, who experienced a 99% + death rate in 7 years time.
Imagine the world today if this hadn’t happened!

6 Likes

@romanoweed…That pollen map you spoke of in the other thread. See the date listed for Southwest Africa? New pollen evidence says its thousands of years earlier. Just one sample from the New World could rewrite history. Literally.

2 Likes

Does kind of tie in to what we talking about a little earlier, I sometimes think ya know with settlements like Jamestown, that just barely survived, and Roanoke, which didn’t…how many previous attempts were made to colonize the Americas that failed? We know about the Viking ones in Canada, who knows who else tried at some point?

Per the mound builders, I see a lot of parallels with Egypt. A great ancient civilization on a great river floodplain. But, they didn’t build giant stone structures in the desert, or master writing, so any evidence of their history was mostly destroyed by floods, buried by soil, or reclaimed by forest. Mississippi floods make Nile floods look like puddles. I’m not an archaeologist or a Native historian, but it seems to be the Mississippi river floodplain is significantly larger and more fertile than the Valley of Mexico. Does make one wonder.

7 Likes

TARANTO, Italy – Farmers in a region of Italy once known for cheeses have turned to cultivating a type of [ – not to smoke or sell – but to decontaminate polluted soil.

6 Likes

This is interesting to me. When i was a bit younger and dumber i would eat a handful of tramadol in a night. Usually 4 or 5 at a time every 2 hours or so. It had no where near the effect or potency of true opioids like ocycodone or oxycontin. I was usually able to stay up all night and drink a lot of beer but not much of euphoric high at all for me. Vets prescribe it to dogs quite often.

4 Likes

Im pretty sure they used cannabis crops at chernoble as well.

5 Likes

Well that’s cool and terrifying. I think we’re rapidly approaching a time of environmental reckoning where we will have to finally face the environmental crises we’ve created. After reading that link, I can’t help but wonder what the hell has been in the food I’ve been eating my entire life and what are the long term consequences of that.

And why aren’t people experimenting with intentional uptake? I feel like I am in crazy town; this is such interesting science that, while people are studying, feels like it should be a bity more front and center…

5 Likes

It effects everyone quite differently. Not everyone gets the intense euphoria; in fact, I’d say the intense euphoria is a bit less common of a reaction. It’s also very dangerous to abuse in that way, because of the seizure and serotonin syndrome risk. It also only has about a 48-72 hour window where it can produce unusually high levels of euphoria before serotonergic depletion reduces the effect and it becomes mostly a weak opioid. It can be really nasty stuff, in terms of the range of withdrawal and side effects. I usually consume it pretty liberally when I am abroad for pain and relaxation (I don’t really drink) and it’s always a pain in the ass to taper off when its time to come home.

3 Likes

Hi dude,

yeah, the thread has jumped about quite a bit since I tuned in last and I’ve lost the plot a bit with one of the assertions you were making. If I remember right in the other thread you said that the only proof you needed that Egyptians and people in the new world had traded or been in contact was that traces of hashish had been found in mummies on both sides?. I don’t subscribe to that theory personally. The Egyptians documented everything pretty much. I doubt they would’ve left out such a huge chunk of history that led to reach and trade with people in the new world and the introduction of new worked lines of plants. No civilisation the size of the Egyptians would not record such a remarkable achievement. That’s a stretch for me. That article you’re referring to says there is evidence of the drugs, not inference of contact between the two. It still requires quite a leap.

I can quite easily see how cocaine, nicotine and hashish ended up in mummies in Egypt because plant derivatives can be sourced from regions in Africa.

With regards to hashish found in Peruvian mummies. I can believe it if science says so but I could posit a couple of alternative theories which for me would be more plausible, such as geographically divergent species of plants that were around then but are not around now or at least not in the form they were then. We’ve lost thousands of species of plants this year alone globally so who’s to say what has been lost in the past and how closely related to Cannabis or hemp those plants were and if there were, in what capacity they were used by people.

Other theories like other or older groups of people made the journey from wherever to wherever. The further back, the less well documented.

7 Likes

finally Thor gets recognition. Despite scientists tying to piece together ‘evidence’ that doesn’t fit common accepted ‘timelines’, some people can prove the obvious by demonstration.

5 Likes

Yep. And Fukushima too. Radiated weed anyone? Guaranteed to make you feel funny!

3 Likes

The Vikings made it down to the Chesapeake Bay Region, where, interestingly, the local susquehannock tribe was noted for its large sized individuals, up to 7 feet in height. I live in the upper reaches of the Susquehanna, and the natives here told of a giant that lived in Sidney New York. This giant had a very large arrow that would cut people into two pieces. Sounds a bit like a sword to me… anyway, this giant lived in a Fort, 3 acres in size. The construction looks European to me…
Perhaps the Vikings were absorbed into the local susquehannock tribe, and lived up and down its entirety. Here’s a Google Earth photo of the fort. I would never have known about it had it not been for a book that I own that was written in 1903. This fort is in the exact location named in the book.

and that’s an excellent point about the Mississippi Valley and it’s floods. If there was no very old civilization in the Mississippi Valley, it would be the only major temperate River Valley on Earth without early advanced civilization. Kind of doubtful there wasn’t some sort of advanced civilization earlier in time, pre mound builders.

7 Likes

[quote=“Mestizo, post:71, topic:41188”]
That article you’re referring to says there is evidence of the drugs, not inference of contact between the two. It still requires quite a leap.

I can quite easily see how cocaine, nicotine and hashish ended up in mummies in Egypt because plant derivatives can be sourced from regions in Africa.
[/quote]

I checked every Source I could find, and I’m not finding any plants from Africa capable of making cocaine. A particular alkaloid is required and this is only found in the Andes region at high altitude. Being in the same genus does not make plants have the same compounds. There are a hundred and seventy plants in the Cannabaceae family, and only one produces THC. Which African plants in the Ethroxylaceae family produce the Coca alkaloid in quantities that could be detectable in the human body? I’m not finding any…Screenshot_20201220-091240_Samsung Internet|230x500
Your theory on an extinct THC bearing plant has no evidence to back it up. Don’t you think it’s more likely that somebody made a trip across the ocean and didn’t document it then it is that there is some unknown extinct THC bearing plant from South America and some unknown cocaine-producing plant from Africa? The evidence of contact between the Eastern and Western cultures is written in stone, literally. The base of the Pyramid of the Sun in Mexico is nearly the same size as the Great Pyramid in Giza, Coincidence?

There are old Olmec statues, pre-columbian, which clearly depict faces that look extraordinarily Central African, features which are unique to that area of the world.
I don’t think it would necessarily be documented that a trip to another continent was made, especially when valuable items were at play, such as gold. Captains of ships were very tight-lipped when it came to the sources of their valued goods. instead, evidence needs to be looked for in other ways. Here’s a link…sort of lol.

3 Likes

Sorry for the poor quality of some of the screenshots. One of the screenshots is that link I got these pictures from

4 Likes

pretty interesting.

3 Likes

But the article goes on to say that it wasn’t hemp after all

2 Likes

Another article where the writer does not think Egyptians made it to the new world.

3 Likes

The author of the article assumes it was the Egyptians that had to go to the Americas, although they are known to have traded with people from all over the place. So the first two arguments could be thrown out entirely…Egyptians may have traded for the questioned items

2 Likes