How do you reveg your plants when they are being harvested?

Hey @Mr.Sparkle , so than the question becomes what about up potting? If I do that now it will be tough to cut the roots back will in not? Would you say leave it in current pot and than cut back roots once it starts producing new leaves? Once that happens than up pot?

5 Likes

you can though your more apt to run into what taiga said with “overwatering” or at least stagnate water staying around which can cause some issues when you have roots dieing back and bacteria and what not going after them.

A repot will definitely be needed and required just consider if you wait a bit when you do a trimming of the root ball you can pack in more fresh soil vs old, though the other side is if say one uses nutrients in a soil mix to typically feed their plants and not doing so through feed waterings then a repot allows that plant to access fresh soil nutrient wise.

So its kinda situational.

When i use to reveg i was on the more aggressive side and would harvest trim back and repot all in one go, though i dont necessarily recommend that if ones not confident in doing so.

7 Likes

Ok great, thanks. I am in coco so it’s all about feed through watering. I will hold off for now until I see some new growth, than trim the root ball and up pot. Fingers crossed, come on little Sour Bubble :slight_smile: Appreciate the advice. I didn’t used to have a plant count that warranted cloning. It was always just grow it, chop it and smoke it. Than plant more seeds. Really great to have all this knowledge available. Thanks all. I will keep this thread updated with the plant progresses and hopefully it will help others down the road.

8 Likes

Following along as I am about to do the same. Good vibes your way :call_me_hand::seedling::seedling::seedling:

1 Like

All the advice above looks sound.
I usaually just cut down to about where you did, change lights to 24. Start feeding veg nutes. I try to treat her like a new clone. I just imagine her growing from an early stage of veg.
I know of some more aggressive growers that would take her out of the pot completely, then start breaking up the root ball by hand. Kinda like squishing it up and just getting the soil out. Making room where the roots are all balled up together. Then placeing her back into some fresh soil or coco.
I woudnt really do that for the first time, but as you are well aware, they are very strong plants and we as growers tend to baby them. But she grows in almost all areas and climates of the world. She is very hardy and will take and live through a lot.

In any case I know you will succeed. She wont look like she is doing much for awhile as she needs to to figure out what she is doing and then start converting back to veg, but she will get there. And when she does, shes gonna ook wild haha her leaves will start twisting, curling and looking crazy. And then she will start to shoot out new branches from what looks like every calyx. It looks so cool.

Sending good vibes your way brother. Im really likeing the colors on your girl right there btw. Such a gorgeous hue. Wooweee

Keep us updated !

1 Like

im taking notes, so - just to recap: you cut the main stem to 4 nodes, cut everything else above that and you left the buds?

so, you left it the way that picture is, and then you switched to 18 to 24 hr light?

also, is there a reason why not a clone reveg like this?

I reveged a plant I cut down to 2 nodes, it was a cutting that bloomed in a 1gal and it reveged in the same 1 gal. It took like 2 months under 16h or 18h cant remember. It’s in my thread, I can find it if you want. :call_me_hand:

When I reveg I try to harvest as early as possible. I leave roughly 1/3 of the plant behind. Leave all the lower buds on as that is where the new growth will come from. And leave as many fan leaves on as possible. They do not need any nutes until the normal growth starts again. It is very easy to over water . As with normal vegging plants I have seen no benefit to 24 hour light over 18.

Most of the plants I have revegged over the years have done so within a month. I have had a few take up to 6 weeks.

This is currently revegging

9 Likes

You can cut most of those nugs off if you want, but that’s plenty of leaf and nug to get started again. Definitely want to move up to a bigger pot so the roots have somewhere to go.

1 Like

I’m gonna go against the grain and say I think up potting is a bad idea, or at least unnecessary. The plant is already going threw enough shock. I dont change much after cutting other than veg nutes and 24h light. They seem to flip back quicker the less you change imo. Keep in mind I have never potted up at the same time, so I cant 100% say its better or worse, but I’ve revegged quite a bunch without doing it and it always works. The plant already has way more roots than it needs, and its just another stresser imo.
I like the 4 nugs. I think thats a fine amount to leave. I believe they transpire and photosynthesize threw buds, so more is better than less. But it still works if you do go to far, it just takes longer.

1 Like

This is about the best advice I can think of. Leave some of it. Down low any branches look unfinished but healthy leave em. Up pot give roots room let em know there’s more. Theyre prob close to bound now. 24hr light and back on veg nutes she will get ugly. But she’ll pull through and branch a ton

I’ll take some pictures in a little bit. From what I see, after you hack the plant back, those roots just kinda sit there while the top sorts itself out. Then once new growth starts up top, new roots shoot down below. Those nice new white roots just take over and push threw the old abandoned ones. It takes a while.
I wouldn’t mind seeing some roots if anyone has some they potted up right away during a reveg. Preferably if the top is still straightening out and their are new white roots in the new media. I dont mind being wrong :slight_smile:

these lost the war with aphids, and shortly after this picture I cut them down.

From the previous picture I revegged the 2 on the left and the one on the right. I took cuts, but also just let them regrow. I recently let ph and humidity get out of line, so they aren’t perfectly happy, but on the mend.

Probably wont be able to tell on a phone, but looking close enough, most of these roots are not active. So I’m disregarding them as future food. I’m looking at the fussy white new ones which are finally hitting the sides again. IMO theres plenty of time in the same pot. Especially if your just taking cuts once it revegges.

I know people have wildly different ideas on what constitutes root bound. I’m pretty chill about it. lol. It just doesn’t seem to me like little old dead roots count. Plant abandoned them imo.

2 Likes

Good topic bro. I actually left too much on mine. The only thing it costed me was buds that I could have smoked though.
I just did this and then put her in 24 hr light at around 50% power and went to straight veg nutes.

I could have just left three or four of those little branches and she would have done great.
Now she looks like this.

I’m going to be taking some cuttings to practice cloning before I flip her.
I’m taking different lengths of cuttings, using aloe, tweaking my clone box, I have two different cloning jells so I’ll test to see which is the one for me…

15 Likes

@DougDawson
As some others have said, and I mentioned before, I cut the root ball back by about 1/2, repot with with fresh coco in the same size pot, put it under low light (I use 16/8), and DO NOT overwater/feed.

I use 1/4 strength veg nutes til I see some action, then slowly ramp up.

I use air pots, and keep the coco just moist, not wet.

Then sacrifice a couple of chickens, hop on one leg for a bit while twirling (or just do the hokey pokey), and job’s a good one!

8 Likes

You left out the part about the magic mushrooms.

5 Likes

I would leave the roots alone in the pot for now. As said the plant went through enough shock. Once you get more growth the roots can be looked at. The plant will not be needing too much feed, not a lot of plant to suck it up. I reveged a couple of times. Slow going at first and odd growth but it will get back to normal.

1 Like

So being new to the whole re veg thing I have taken info from a number of folk and here is the plan. Chopped plant and left a number of bud sites near the base. Left roots and pot alone. Switched to 18/6 light and added veg nutes. When I start to get new growth I will chop back the root ball and up pot this plant.

I am sure all have valid points and methods from their own experience but in this case I took what I felt seemed logical from info provided and decided on a path. I will keep the thread updated to show the progress or failure. Here is the little one as it sits. The extra handful of bud I took off this thing really stinks, it’s in a paper bag to slow the drying process.

15 Likes

That handful is just what you cut off from yesterday to today? (Or was that the whole harvest?)

You keep referring to this plant as the little one, what makes you want to re-veg this specific one versus one of its larger siblings?

You got this! Easy peasy!

:robot:

1 Like

No, that’s the difference between after chop and how much I removed to re veg. Started as this

Removed more to make it this.

The rest of the plant is hanging in a tent drying. I refer to it as the little one because that’s what it was. The plant topped itself after the first node. Now that could have just been damage from when it came out of it’s shell but it was the best looking and frostiest plant out of all of them. Even as a runt this plant was beautiful to my eye and even the lowers were covered in sticky goodness.

It’s larger sibling was the opposite, tall and lanky right from seedling stage. Now I have 13 more going so no need to try to reveg the old ones, this pheno just seemed special. Who knows, maybe I can even get this pheno to a full size plant with a clone, now that would be amazing.

11 Likes