Indica vs Sativa Seed Maturation

Hi all:

When I make indica leaning seeds they usually take 4-5 weeks to be ready.

With sativa leaning seeds does it take longer or is it the same?

I’m on a seed hunt and I haven’t looked very hard but I can’t seem to find any…

6 Likes

ROFLMAO…

1 Like

In all fairness the buds are huge and airy so there’s a good chance they’re in there somewhere I just don’t want to start digging too hard.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty good question. I honestly have no idea, though my intuition tells me they will take longer sine they flower longer.

1 Like

That was my assumption too. But considering the explosive growth I’m getting I’d figure the same for seed production but who knows?

Playing devils advocate, since Sativa seeds tend to be smaller, it could also be possible that they mature faster than larger Indica seeds…

:man_shrugging:

:robot:

2 Likes

If so that might be why I’m having a hard time finding them. I don’t want to start ripping open buds to check as that’s premature and impatient but you could have a point.

3 Likes

I could see just a few and in the end pulled about a hundred out of my Durban. Depending on when you pollinated, the seeds might be hidden rather deep inside the buds. Not sure about the time they took but I might be able to find out from my notes.

2 Likes

The ones in question were pollinated March 18th. They could very well be buried in there.

1 Like

Here are a few pics of a portion of the bud. I’m not sure you can really tell anything from them but here they are anyway:

5 Likes

I pulled the first out after 2 months and let the rest go longer, but they might have been ready much earlier. So I don’t really have an answer to your question, sorry.

1 Like

Cheers and thanks for the info. I figure they will have been maturing for 2 months by the time they are ready for the chop.

1 Like

I was talking to someone once that was pulling viable seeds after 3-4 weeks on an auto flower. My guess is you’re on track and the seed maturation time correlates to length of the flowering time. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Check the seeds in the precalyxes if you want a good barometer of how things are going in the buds. Not all will have seeds but some will.

2 Likes

I can’t for the life of me find a damned one.

Last confirmed sighting:

4 Likes

A Oaxacan I just ran went almost 9 weeks. @Upstate is very knowledgeable about Sativas and seed production, maybe he can weigh in on the subject.

2 Likes

Foreigner…
“With sativa leaning seeds does it take longer or is it the same?”

Upstate…4-6 weeks but if you slam a sativa with pollen when it is heavily into bud production there may be too many seeds for the plant to mature all of them at once so some could take longer. Weeks. May even slow all the seeds up.

Foreigner…
“I’m on a seed hunt and I haven’t looked very hard but I can’t seem to find any…”
[/quote]
Upstate…I don’t see any either, but like @allotment says they can be hidden deep Once in a Great while. Sativas “shatter” , a term which means the casing splits thoroughly and the seed falls out or is “ejected” which in a hot wet climate prevents seeds from germinating while still in a live bud. This happens to me all the time with seeds flinging themselves into cups with planting depth soil. Almost like they know…:thinking::smirk::shushing_face:

Apologies messing up the quotes.

2 Likes

Obliged.

I only pollinated a little bit so it’s not oversaturated.

I just need to learn some patience :rofl: I shall apply a liberal dose.

Cheers and all the best.

1 Like

I find every strain can take different amounts of time. I just crossed the paki chitral kush to a few things and the rate of seed maturation was drastically different.
Pck x pck 8 weeks seeds still maturing bud past it’s prim
Pck x eastern Manipur Burma 6 weeks done and falling out weeks before the buds are mature
Pck x bubba kush 7 weeks done and falling out a week before buds are done
Pck x og kush looks like they will be done at the nine week mark both buds and seeds
Pck x Cuban black haze 6 weeks seeds done and falling out weeks before buds done
Pck x gushmints done at same time as the bud but very few seeds for the amount of pollen dumped in her
I crossed the pck to kushmints and it dosent look like a single seed formed on her :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Well shit man, thanks for the info.

If it comes down to it I will choose the bud over the seeds when I decide it’s properly mature. Still a ways to go yet.