Howard's Hunt for Headstash

14 Likes

Mine werenā€™t quite that large, but theyā€™re still young :wink:

These things grow like mad too!

4 Likes

I know, just seedlings still. Just giving you an idea, and these were turned at under 12 inches tall!!! But also in my Octopots, so take them with a grain of salt!!

5 Likes

Quick Update - Itā€™s been a rough week

The plants have not been doing as well as they should have, and because of life issues itā€™s been difficult for me to address it lately.

I started the flood cycle a bit too early, which normally isnā€™t a problem as Iā€™m always close by to deal with any issues that crop up. This time, however, is a bit different.

The plants werenā€™t drinking enough to keep up with evaporation, and I suspect I may not have flushed the coco well enough, so the rez and coco got pretty out of whack with high a EC and drifting pH, causing what looks like early lock out symptoms.

Normally I could just change the rez and flush if necessary, but with in-laws staying with us who are not mmj friendly (to put it mildly) I hadnā€™t had the time or opportunity to mix up 35 gallons of fresh solution and do the job.

Finally said screw it yesterday and was going to get it done no matter what, and figured they could go the hell home if they had a problem, but luckily I had a good opportunity while they were out and it didnā€™t become a problem.

They look much happier this morning, which is a good indication that they are going to bounce back just fine. Even with the problems, theyā€™ve been growing fast and furious, they just didnā€™t have that real healthy look I like.

Things will be getting better for me this weekend, and Iā€™ll be able to tend to the plants like I should from there on out.

And on that note, hereā€™s a few pics I took with the crappy phone this morning :wink:

32 Likes

Perfection!
:grinning:

7 Likes

They look great Howardā€¦ you caught the issue just in time for a quick recovery! Theyā€™ll be just fine nowā€¦ I can see them greening up already!

Another day or two with those types of pH fluctuations could have been horrible for your plants and your end goal.

Good lookinā€™ out!

4 Likes

Itā€™s finally dry enough for a test smokeā€¦

25 Likes

Andā€¦???

Looks stellarā€¦

4 Likes

Itā€™s really nice. Surprisingly potent, and has a tantalizing but very difficult to describe sweet/tart/umami flavor. First, on the pull you get hit with the berry sweetness, and itā€™s pretty nice if you like that sort of thing, which I do. Then on the exhale you get that lip-smacking tart grapefruit/kumquat flavor that sticks around, with an umami undertone that makes it especially hard to describe.

Fairly good amount of scent overall, too. I photographed that bud above in the living room, and about twenty minutes after I was done my wife came in and almost immediately commented on the odor (which she likes as much as I do), reminding me that I better do something about that before company returns lol.

Itā€™s very euphoric and happy, and I did manage to get a bunch of stuff done around the house, but thatā€™s probably more due to the fact that I was in less pain than any particularly motivating aspect of the high. Even so, Iā€™ll take it. Mindset is important too, right? This stuff puts me in a pretty pleasant headspace.

My fingers still smell like grapefruit from trimming. Long after the other smells have faded, which I assume is associated with more volatile terpenes evaporating and leaving less volatile ones behind, the grapefruit remains. I like it so much that I sprayed my hands with isopropyl and just rubbed the sticky resin around like a body scent.

I really wish Iā€™d kept a clone, but I didnā€™t keep the clones I did make because I frankly didnā€™t expect to like this particular plant so much and I still have a whole bunch of seeds left to hunt through. Itā€™s not going to be practical to reveg it either, unfortunately.

I guess that means another run from seed just moved up in priority, hehe. Probably do that after my @lefthandseeds Durban x JS run, actually.

31 Likes

Now that everything in the cabinet is done, this is whatā€™s up next. Iā€™ll probably start these in about a week or two.

24 Likes

Those are gonna be dank! Terps should be pretty wild, but Iā€™m really pumped to see how the bud density comes out on those.

11 Likes

Yeah, sounds like it has potential to be pretty strange in the terp department. Hope so, hehe. Looking forward to finding out what there is to find out.

I havenā€™t tried Jungle Spice yet, and have very limited experience with Durban, but the small amount Durban I have smoked has been quite tasty and the high was right up my alley.

11 Likes

Was going through photos on my old hard drive to put together a timeline and documentation for a personal project, and found this interesting throwback (I think this was 2012?) :wink:

18 Likes

I originally got this pack (or another one just like it) in 2011. I think I made three separate SeedBay orders that year, at least in part to get the BS2.2 freebies, lol. The remaining original seeds have now been passed on to another, but I think I still have many F2 seeds left to hunt through plus crosses Iā€™ve made over the years.

Below is the first BS2.2 plant I ever grew. Itā€™s at day 23 of flower here, according to my notes. This was also my first time dealing with winged root aphids, and I lost the battle. I was unable to eradicate the pests, so combined with my inexperience as a grower (I really had no idea wtf I was doing) the reveg of this plant was unsuccessful.

I think about this plant frequently, because it was utterly unique. Completely unlike everything else Iā€™ve seen from the line since. The scent and high were outstanding.

Losing this plant was the main reason that I started pollinating just about everything I grew after that, come to think of it.

28 Likes

Since Iā€™m apparently in the mood for reminiscing tonight, gonna cross-post this here too.

26 Likes

LOL!! Howard, your idea of a sick plant is what most growers can only dream of achieving. They look great - as usual :smiley:

9 Likes

@Howard.Crane still got any of those fire OG x OG kush f2 beans? Looks beautiful and close enough to the fire OG i been looking for but cant never put my hands in :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::pensive:

4 Likes

Well, I didnā€™t post any pics of the worst symptoms, but yeahā€¦ Iā€™m obviously not alone in wanting them to be perfect at all times, lol :blush:

6 Likes

Iā€™m fairly sure I do. I will have to check later on, when Iā€™m more awake :sunrise:

7 Likes

These two in particular are starting to get pretty bushy. Love that. Hope theyā€™re female, though Iā€™m suspecting they are not because theyā€™re vastly outpacing the others.

29 Likes