Howard's Hunt for Headstash

I’m not sure if it’s accurate, but I’ve always assumed that biologically, the males grow up taller than the females before pollination, so that the reach of their pollen can easily extend to the top buds of the females. At least for farmed cannabis, it seems like a trait that would probably come out more strongly over time.

11 Likes

House of Love made some crazy OG crosses, and I gave away my last pack years ago.

What ever happened to them, I wonder?

3 Likes

Yeah, and it was pretty good stuff in my experience. I had almost the entire catalog at one point just given to me, one pack of almost everything, just because they were friendly and excited to share, I guess. I really liked those guys. :wink:

Still got some of their seeds in deep freeze, but most of them didn’t make it through shipping intact, unfortunately.

I know I still have one Rotten Banana, one Sugar Cane Train, a few Alien Double Dog, two packs of Midnight Madness, and I think two or three Live Fire seeds.

Also still have seeds of a cross between the Alien Double Dog and Mandala Sadhu that throws some seriously dense and chunky buds, and Live Fire crossed with just about everything else I ran for two years, lol.

Not really sure what happened to them, to be honest. I got tired of the negativity and bullshit on that forum on particular, and online in general, and took a three year hiatus. By the time I’d returned, one of them had disappeared and the other almost never posted anymore. After a while, I deleted my account as well.

Speaking of which, fuck those guys running the ship at that other forum. Skip actually refused to delete my account three separate times, and argued that my reasons weren’t good enough, so I waited a few more months and then told him I had a security issue (not true). My account was closed within hours of that, lol.

9 Likes

My experience generally matches that, and that sounds like a plausible reason.

If I had experience with this strain and was expecting uniformity, I’d probably have culled two of them by now due to them growing twice as fast as the others. But since I don’t… The Marauder, for instance, had one that grew faster than all of the others and still turned out female. But if I were growing Bubba or Sweet Tooth or something I’ve run many times before and that I am familiar with, it would be a safe bet they were either male or not the pheno I’m looking for.

7 Likes

Phone’s about dead. Best shot I could get was with the pre-night droop going on, lol. It’s getting a bit crowded.

27 Likes

There is something about making seeds and growing them out that feels deeply rewarding.

35 Likes

I’m sat here for the last twenty minutes meditating on the fact that I really like chucking pollen. I find that making crosses between interesting plants I’ve grown out adds a richness and depth to my relationship with cannabis that makes it much more fulfilling.

I don’t have any particular interest in “breeding” in any formal sense, and don’t have any specific planning or end goal that guides my efforts, I just feel like any time I don’t pollinate at least a few bud sites of an outstanding plant with pollen that I think would compliment it well is a missed opportunity to explore a new variation of something I’ve enjoyed.

30 Likes

Right on.
The term “pollen chucker” is used too often in a derogatory manner and in a snobbish way.
Our reasons for making seeds are possibly as diverse as our reasons for growing weed.
Sometimes, as you say, it’s simply to see what will happen by mixing 2 particular genetics hoping a really nice plant will come from one of the seeds…
:smile:

12 Likes

Loads of crystals on that bud Howard .save looking back what strain is it?

5 Likes

Finding an outstanding plant as a result of such an experiment has happened often enough that I feel quite validated in my approach, and makes me feel very fortunate that I do not have to deal with considerations such as what currently appeals most to people who potentially have very different tastes or priorities.

14 Likes

That’s what I’ve been calling Rain City Blues. I’ve been growing out various branches of that family since about 2011, I think. That plant resulted from crossing my most recent generation of SOL Blue Satellite 2.2 with a Carolina Blue x Digital Berry.

I sent you a pack of those. Sure hope the postal service didn’t freaking lose them :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Me too last check still on stall mode very strange almost as if they’ve lost it and are hoping it will show!

5 Likes

@Howard.Crane Wow super beautiful healthy plants! Just checking in for the first time and im impressed! :ok_hand: green thumb, more like green hands!

5 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is exactly how every cannabis breeder, known or otherwise, and every other plant breeder, for that matter, started making their own crosses and seeds… by chuckin’ a little pollen.

I have never been convinced that the only way I can get good genetics to breed with is by buying them.

What most of us create are considered connoisseur crosses/strains and reflect what we believe would be a good cross… and they usually are.

13 Likes

I’m getting ready to trim this root ball and see if I can get the plant to reveg. I’m not ready to be done with it yet, lol.

26 Likes

Took a few photos about three minutes after the lights turned on. It’s pretty crowded in there, and the canopy is very uneven, so I’m going to do some thinning and rearranging of the tent today.

I’m quickly running out of headroom, gonna have to do something about that. Might be doing a lot of bending, but I won’t know what’s needed until everything is rearranged to fit the available space better.

I think it might be a good idea to recalibrate my ppm pen and do some pH testing as well.

27 Likes

Looking nice and green in there! Sometimes I wish I had an indoor set-up so I could play more with f2s, make seeds, test out crosses etc… still love the great outdoors too though

9 Likes

Sometimes I wish I could grow outdoors, honestly. It’s not workable where I live unfortunately, but I’ve always thought that’s where I’d really like to be growing.

12 Likes

You should be able to shave those roots without much hassle nor wilt and they’ll grow back quickly.

When I transplant cannabis, I like the root ball to be on the dry side and I rough it up pretty good and trim roots, if need be I’ve never had problems doing this. Any type of pruning stimulates new growth on plants.

Growing outdoors allows you to see how big your plants can get with little effort… nothing beats the power of sunshine!

9 Likes