I keep getting burns

Hi. I am getting some really weird results here. not all my plants are like this i have a grow diary. many are just fine. If you any idea, I would like to know. thanks.

Almost this entire tent is having the problem, and a few in each of the other tents are too. around week 4 or veg, i start getting some chlorsis between the veins at the top of the plant. I expect to get this at the bottom, due to Mag def.

Feed is GH nutes calmag 1ml/gallon plus epsom salt 1tspn per 5 gallon. 5.8ph (calibrated and tested meter) total ppm is 550 to 650. 100% perlite hempy. I settled here after starting low and raising until tip burn. i reduced the light intensity from 430 to under 350ppfd since the plants were super tired after 8 hours and it looked like they were burning. i was getting burns at the top at 430ppfd.

this year alone, i have pulled 2.5 lbs using this method. so, it’s not the method or GH floranova or perlite or hempy. no bugs at all, not even close. it’s something i am not thinking of. i usually run peroxide, but i had stopped mid grow last time and didn’t have problems. so, i figured i would not need it this grow. do i need to keep running peroxide?

All the males are very green. I am only having issues on female (fem or reg or auto fem) …it doesn’t matter the type of plant. The problem plants are not light on watering day, they seem water logged, but no water pours out if I tip them over (hempy reservoir).

Across the problem plants are all the slight variations in medium. all are perlite, but a few have the smaller #2 perlite, but most have the larger #3. some of the perlite it reused, but i have had success doing that before too.

here is an example of the problem:

3 Likes

What’s the pH you’re using? Is that intervenial chlorosis happening only in new growth? If so I would go for Iron deficiency… icon_e_confused|nullxnull

it’s mostly on higher up leaves. new vs. old, doesn’t seem to matter. that is why i thought it was a light intensity issue. i also have some yellowing on one very low in the back left corner.
ph in is 5.8 to 5.9. i think i watered at 6 once last week because i was worried about too low of ph. ppm out is about 100 over in.

not sure why i would get an iron defficiency. the bottle of nutes isn’t even that old. gh floranova grow.

1 Like

What’s your water source? Do you let the nute solution bubble for a day and then test ph?

I have to fill my bucket, add nutes, let bubble for a day, adjust ph, let bubble for a few hours and then the ph seems more stable. I’ve ran into issues if I don’t let everything rest for a while. Add water, nutes, ph balance it…come back in a day and ph is way higher or lower then when checked first time…if that makes sense.
Just trying to troubleshoot for ya…my guess is ph swings

Floranova Is a 1 part formula. Why are you adding calmag and then more mag?
Maybe your problem there.

i was just thinking about this.

I add it because my plants gets rust spots and interveinal chlorosis at the bottom if i don’t. in fact, i usually start getting that before i start adding calmag, then i just add each time after than. gh floranova never works by itself for me. it hasn’t for a decade. i may not need to add so much or so often as i am adding now.

could be a ph issue…that is what i want it to be. i have watered this way on all my grows though. i didn’t always use espom salts and i usually didn’t use calmag but ever other wateriong. water is tap, that is the water. it’s 240ppm or so base. the grass here grows green if you water with this water.

Have you put what you use into something like HydroBuddy and checked out the numbers?

1 Like

i hadn’t, but i just DL’d it. There is an error when i try to run, but to be fair i don’t really know how to set it up. I don’t know the ppm ratios for the various elements

What exactly do you put in your water for each feed? Amounts of each thing.

@PatHealy it’s about 2.5tsp of the gh nutes in 5 gallons that is about 250ppm. 5ml of gh calmag is 100pm, tspn of epsom salts is about 50ppm. base water is 240 or so.

I can’t find a breakdown of exactly what’s in the GH FloraNova and don’t have HydroBuddy on my phone, but I’m sure someone knows it. I’d be shocked if that’s enough food for those plants though. I’d drop the epsom and CalMag and get the amount of FloraNova up around 600-800ppm and see how the plants react after a week or so. Your media has nothing in it and you’re barely giving the plants any of the product that contains all of their macros and micros. They’re just getting blasted with magnesium and some calcium basically. Best of luck getting things straightened out!

5 Likes

i hear ya on using my ppms for the base nutes. the gh floranova has kelp in it. the ppm might not be accurate for this mix. i just use it to keep track of what i am feeding relative to the last one.

I wonder if i should flush them now, and then feed with no calmag/espom salts? i watered this morning…with the normal mix…

I’d flush out the old mix with new mix. If your tap comes out 240, I’d put FloraNova in until it’s at 800 and see how they like it. Give them light too. They’re plenty big to be hit with some light power. As long as your temps and humidity are good, those plants should be able to eat some feed. How often do you water them/refresh the res?

Edit: Changed from 900.

1 Like

I water every 3 days. the healthy ones are empty by then. it’s been this way the last 5 grows. i tried watering every two days in a late flower and that works too.

You’re letting them dry out/sit too much/long. Makes things a lot more difficult. I’d refresh them every day or two depending on how much they’re drinking. Makes things a lot easier.

1 Like

i just flushed 3 of them. drained and then added a half gallon of 850ppm nutes (total with water base).

looking more closely, it looks like a lot of the yellowing is older leaves, but if these 3 turn around, then i know what is up.

3 Likes

Those don’t look burned
They look underfed
Just my .02
I don’t use hydro nutrients but that looks awfully familiar

1 Like

Maybe your tap water has a lot of Calcium, if you increase it more with the Calmag it may block Iron … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

my current attempt to fix includes this, but if it makes things worse, i will go back to the old, lower ppm and drop the calmag and see if that helps.