If THC degrades to CBN over time what does CBD degrade into?

Was thinking about how you can potentially get a more sedative effect from letting your trichomes ripen because you will have some THC >>> CBN.

But, what happens if you let your high CBD low THC strain go long?

Does more of the CBD become THC? I read that was the synthesis pathway at one point. Don’t know if it’s true or if that applies in all cultivars.

Wasn’t able to find anything with the aid of search engines other than a few people asking similar questions without finding any real answers. I understand that we may not have much study in this area at this point. (Thanks a lot prohibition)

Does anyone have any info or sources?

I’m going to experiment with the 1 CBD plant I have. I was planning on harvesting the bottom half late to see if the effects change at all. But we’re still a while out on results.

4 Likes

CBC and CBG I’m guessing…???

1 Like

They have documented a few strains that don’t have the pathways required for thc to convert to anything beyond thc. I’d be very interested to know more about this but can only find very limited info at this point.

4 Likes

" In brief, most of the reactions require acidic conditions, high temperatures or are observed in vitro. Under these conditions, CBD is converted to ∆9-THC as well as ∆7-THC, ∆8-THC, ∆10-THC, ∆11-THC and iso -THC"

This is most in depth information I could find on the subject.

7 Likes

From my understanding,THC and CBD both start as CBG and degrade into CBN when oxidized.

That article above is about converting CBD to THC, which requires acidic conditions, not natural degradation.

13 Likes

yup when you try to find high cbg plants the notes say to cut it early basically

4 Likes

Thank you everybody for your input!

@SonsOfAvery — I agree this article only describes lab conditions. The information is fascinating though! Need to read on it some more just for curiosity’s sake.

@Heritagefarms you’ve got my wheels turning…

Are you suggesting that some plants would probably have higher CBD ratios at different harvest points and some could potentially turn said CBD into THC or other cannabinoids if you ran it longer? Because it sounds like your saying genetics could determine if and where the conversion pathways end.
And like @GYOweed and @ReikoX are saying, CBD and THC are synthesized from CBG… so that all makes sense to me…

3 Likes

Genetics and harvest time do indeed play a big part in it. Hemp farmers have to test their crop along the way to make sure its within the legal THC limit. Some genetics allow them to harvest later and others earlier. Stress and other variables can steer the crop as well. There is always more work being done to create more stable plants for CBD production so they can get better terpenes and yield coming from the plant. Things have gotten better over the last few years when it comes to the strains and breeding projects that have gone on to help eliminate variables steering the crop’s ratios too out of whack. Lots of interesting stuff coming out of the Hemp/CBD world that’s for sure.

5 Likes

I have a cut of critical mass in flower now, I want to let it go as long as possible and see what happens.

5 Likes

Very nice! I have known a few people that have grown out some hemp seeds and let them go full term to get the little higher THC level to come through more. Strain dependent though of course, but might as well give it a go heh.

1 Like

Yep, I also plan on re-vegging it after harvest and then running a series of tests on clones at diff flower stages.

1 Like

Should be a fun project indeed! :+1:

Very nice idea, I like the sound of that.

1 Like

I bought some ‘thc-a hemp’ to see how fucked the black market is these days. It’s bad. Most of the bud went in the trash but the little I tried made a sizzling noise in the vaporizer and gave me heartburn. They’re doing something to convert hemp cbd into thc.

This is the future of Cannabis. “Thc is thc”

Welcome to Overgrow @Mollyverance. CBD can be transformed into delta-8 THC by refluxing with a strong acid. This is where a majority ot the delta-8 comes from.

@Foetidal, THCA hemp is literally pushing the definition of hemp. THCA is what the plant produces, we convert it to THC when we heat it up with our lighters. They are trying to play a nomenclature game by saying THCA isn’t THC. That being said, I’m sure the buds were trash.

4 Likes