I'm the Black Sheep of the Family's Continuous Grow

I’m just knocking the dead stuff off as I go. Up to 10 paper grocery bags so far. have another plant and 3 quarters left. Trying to get it cleaned out so I can start another auto project for a friend. I’ll be trimming on that shit for a while. I’m just glad that this grow is finally over, been a real PIA. Can’t wait to get started on this next one.
:v:t4:
Gary

8 Likes

Aright decision time. The Oxacan and the Sashamane are both males, gotta pull one or the other. Oxacan looks like a much better specimen. I’ll get pictures tomorrow morning. I have my grandson for a bit.
Here are the genetics

Could Shashamane Sativa be The Rare Lambs Bread?

Posted byapostlekushMarch 30, 2020Posted inStrain comparisons

Shashamane sativa from Ethiopia is really popular in East Africa. Some seasoned stoners even rank it at the same level as Malawi Gold. Well, is this strain a true landrace of Abyssinia or did the Jamaicans invited by Haile Selassie introduce it in East Africa?

What is Lamb’s Bread?

When Bob Marley released Ganja Gun in 1977, he was paying an ode to his favorite cannabis strain-Lamb’s Bread. Cannabis historians believe that it’s a landrace sativa from an undisclosed location in Jamaica. A true landrace known for its earthy and citrus flavors.

This strain got popular around the 70’s and 80’s but disappeared around the 90’s. Some people believe that the rise of heavy hitters such as Jamaican Dream and Marley’s Collie overshadowed its popularity.

How does it look like? It has dense midsize nugs that are light green in color. You’ll also notice red hairs covered with trichomes all over the buds.

How did Jamaicans settle in Shashamane?

In 1955, Haile Selassie , a respected deity in the Rastafari religion invited Africans living in Carribean Islands to settle in Ethiopia. This was a form of repatriation from centuries of slavery in America. Droves of Jamaican Rastafari hopped on planes and eagerly relocated to the promised land.

Shashamane, located in central Ethiopia ended up being the perfect spot. Settling here made sense because the soil is really fertile and rainfall is sufficient. Also, the local communities helped these Rastafarians build new homes and till their farms.

Is Weed Legal in Ethiopia?

Possession, cultivation, and consumption of marijuana is illegal in Ethiopia. Although, just like most East African countries, police won’t rush you to the station when they catch you smoking. You’ll just pay a “fine” and get away with a slap on the wrist.

Who Grows Weed in Ethiopia?

It’s believed that cannabis made its way into Ethiopia as early as 1320. This could be as a result of the Red Sea Trade with eastern nations that have the earliest history of marijuana use. During this period, people mixed ganja with tobacco in traditional smoking pipes.

Owing to the close relationship with Haile Selassie and goodwill of neighboring communities, the newly relocated Jamaicans cultivated their ganja without police interference. You’ll find weed cultivation taking place in eastern districts of Ethiopia but the Shashamane region consistently ranks in both quality and quantity.

Are there similarities between Shashamane sativa and Lamb’s Bread?

Let’s compare four main characteristics of each strain.

THC Content

Ethiopia’s Shashamane sativa contains THC levels ranging from 10-15%. This characteristic puts it in the same category of daytime sativas as Lamb’s Bread that reaches up to 18% THC.

Flavors

Cannabis connoisseurs have noted that Lamb’s Bread has distinct herbal and citrus flavors. The terpenes are so strong that some people prefer smoking this strain using a bong.

Shashamane sativa also features a combination of similar flavors. These flavors come out strongly after a week or two of curing the buds in an airtight glass jar. You can taste them by inhaling a joint before lighting it up.

Appearance

Shashamane sativa comes in light green colored nugs that are quite dense. You’ll notice red hairs and shiny trichomes that make it quite appealing. Take a look at the pic below

It can be hard to distinguish a Shashamane nug from Lamb’s bread due to their similarities in color, shape, and red hairs.

Here’s a pic of Lamb’s Bread nugs for you to compare and make the judgment.

Lamb’s Bread nugs

History

Lamb’s Bread is a landrace strain from Jamaica. On the other hand, when comparing Ethiopia and Jamaica’s climate, you’ll notice similarities in average temperature and rainfall patterns. So, it could be highly possible that the Jamaican Rastafarians settling in Shashamane during 1955 carried some Lamb’s Bread seeds from home.

Since their arrival, these groups of Rastafians known for their ganja cultivation rarely experience police home invasions or drug busts. It’s also no secret that Shashamane district is Ethiopia’s largest producer of cannabis since the 70’s.

What’s the verdict?

Shashamane and Lamb’s Bread seem to share important aspects such as physical appearance, THC levels, and long history with Jamaicans. Could it be that the current Shashamane sativa growing in Ethiopia actually be the long lost Lamb’s Bread? You be the judge.

Strain Review: Shashamane by East Africa Genes

“A Strong Landrace Sativa from Ethiopia”

I Grew: Regular seed

Total Grow Days: 180

Flowering Days: 30

Yield:
Quality:

Growing Shashamane

EasyDifficultyDifficult

BushyCharacteristicsStretchy

Light FeedFertilizationHeavy feed

Shashamane is:

Sativa Heat TolerantLow Humidity

Using Shashamane

Daytime

EnergeticCreativeFocused

SpicySourEarthy

Helps StressHelps DepressionHelps Appetite

Grow Review: Shashamane by East Africa Genes

I grew 10 plants outdoor using 5 gallon buckets

How Much Does Shashamane Stretch?

The plant can stretch up to 8 feet in height

Harvesting Shashamane

At the 7 month, you’ll notice prominent buds that emit an aroma that contains citrus

Drying, Trimming and Curing Shashamane

I dried the yield for two weeks in my garden shed. Curing took about 12 days thanks to a favorable room tempertature

The Flavor and Smell of Shashamane

A strong combination of citrus and herbal aroma

The Effects and Uses of Shashamane

Ideal for daytime use thanks to its strong cerebral high

My Overall Impressions of Shashamane by East Africa Genes

• Dense light green buds with red hairs

From the person that did the reproduction

It is the Punta Cometa Oaxacan from Snowhigh. No grow report, have to keep stealthy, but here are a couple of pictures. They like to get dry before watering. If running under LEDS, watch for nitrogen deficiency. Add worm castings to keep in balance. If your soil mix is right, you won’t need to fertilize. Add cal/mag when you water. 14-16 weeks for bud, 9 weeks for seeds. Good luck!

That’s all the info I can find on the Oxacan.
Gary

12 Likes

That will be a tough choice there on which one to keep.

4 Likes

That is a tough call buddy. I’m glad you have to make that decision cause I’d end up keeping both!lmao

3 Likes

Gonna sleep on it. OXACAN. It’s a much better specimen

4 Likes

Finally finished

12 grocery bags full. What a PIA. Now
gotta clean up my mess and get ready for the next one. Then gotta figure out WTF is wrong with the rototiller so I can get my Sobriety Check Points in the ground.

Got 4 or 5 more in pots in a wagon, I had to clean off my porch when I had a refrigerator delivered this week.
Y’all have a great day. Be Safe.
Gary

12 Likes

Love the names you come up with! Lmao

3 Likes

I got a chance to slip out back for a minute, this evening. Getting close to decision time
Oxacan

Sashamane

One of em has to get chopped. Can’t have 2 males in the henhouse. Just can’t physically handle it. I didn’t just say that did I. I think I’m finally coming to the realization that I gotta slow my roll a bit :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Got rototiller running. Damn bowl is leaking. Gasket sealer to the rescue, in the morning. Here’s the others outback
Sheelavathi 1 100gal pot

Sheelavathi 2 30gal pot

Sheelavathi 3 45gal pot

Dark Love 45gal Pot

2 Liquor Cookies Moonshine x Chem D 45 and 30 gal pots

Since I’m still in the choppin mood, Which would y’all choose? These will be part of a seed run, the crosses will available from Seeds | Graysin Farms.
I hope that y’all have a great evening/morning, whatever it is in your part of the world. Y’all be Safe.
Gary

11 Likes

I say Keep the Oxacan.

4 Likes

Forgot this one. Durban Poison that was supposed to be a photo

:wink: :smile: :grin: :laughing: :rofl: :joy:
Gary

12 Likes

My choice as well brother

4 Likes

Dang Gary, you always have the most fascinating chaos on OG! Lol

I’m pulling up a seat to watch this one play out.
-Grouchy
PS I’m voting to keep the Ox!

5 Likes

Incredibly nice work, as usual, Gary. Hats off to you. Hope your Sheelavathi turns out well. Spider mites ate mine.

4 Likes

Kinda my thoughts as well. I still have 14 of the Sashamane seeds left. Only have 11 Oxacan seeds left.

2 Likes

Damn that sucks :-1:t4:

2 Likes

I’m voting for the Oaxacan simple because I have 5 going now and a little pollen sharing would be great. Lmao I don’t envy having to make the decision.

1 Like

I have had more votes for the Oxacan across several forums. I think I had decided on it before I even asked. I can always grow another Sashamane. I have 11 Oxacan and 14 Sashamane seeds left. I just think that the plant looks like a better plant and they both were planted at the same time. Anything else that becomes a male will be culled as well. I only grew 1 of the Oxacan. Next time I grow it I’ll grow at least 2 so I can get a BX.

6 Likes

Got a chance to snap a few pictures of the autos, that have made it to the back porch, some still in a wagon and haven’t made it back to the porch yet.

Time to smoke a Fatty

Puff

Puff

Pass

Gary

19 Likes

Looks just like when I smoke a fatty :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got my new holster this evening. Big shout out to my friends at Outlaw Holsters

Outmotherfuckingstanding :+1:t4: