Incoherent gibberish & Goji F2s. Also Bodhi adventures & pollen chucks

Yeah, I’m glad you said that. I feel like I saw Kush 4 mentioned for the first time like three years ago, on the last Bodhi tester list I was sent. I researched it at the time, just to see, like,”Is this something I should include in my ‘preferred seeds to test’ list?” But I only found a few things. And the things I found didn’t really make me wanna sign up for whatever Kush 4 tester it was that I was considering. For some reason (and I could be way off base here), I feel like Jim Ortega was involved with it? Like way back?

I googled it just now and found way less info on it than I did at the time, whenever that was (the more info that gets added to the internet, the harder it is to find relevant info). In fact, I found zero info on it haha, but I didn’t look too hard. Ever since you planted that cross, though, in the back of my mind, I’ve been like,”I think the Kush 4 is that thing I was looking around for info on a few years back…”

Anyway… I dunno… haha!

9 Likes

Nube’s review of Kush 4 x OMG was also certainly instrumental in my decision making process when it came to actually popping them and just now revisiting his thread on BB I picked up a few interesting comments.

In addition to the quote posted earlier about K4

kush 4 is an old afghani line from jim ortega used in alot of nevils early lines. its lemon lime cedar golf ball kush, potent, and very visually stunning…

Also saw B posted this

the lemon comes from the dad and the nuggy structure and blue shine from the mom

But ya other than that and the legend of Ortega giving it to Nevil I came up short in my quick search and like you didn’t find much. Doesn’t help that it’s not the easiest name to search and unless you include Ortega or Nevil in the search the results are going to be all over the place.

Anyways, whether the phenos lean SSDD or K4 they seem good either way to me. Feels like you can’t lose whichever way it leans. The blue-ish pheno definitely looks a bit like some of @nube 's pictures to me after looking at his review again. I expect there’s probably a lot of overlap in effects too, SSDD is known for blissful, comfortable and calming effects as well.

14 Likes

Yep that’s basically all of it. And then the rumor that Jim sold that k4 cut bodhi used for $20k, and that it was just a pure kush rename and not the same cut or line he gave nevil. But the only one who will know that for sure is Jim Ortega himself. Nevil died before seeing/commenting on this new cut.

11 Likes

Figure this may be helpful for those exploring SSDD x Goji or just to compare with other SSDD phenos on here. What I’m calling the Bubbashine Pheno is quite lanky with stretch-indica growth characteristics. These will have to be pruned prior to flipping to keep the size down…Tried to get a shot of leaf shape, width and branch structure in early veg (from clone). Ideally they should have been flipped a few weeks ago but have been too busy to transplant until today.

SSDD F1 “Bubbashine Pheno” veg structure.

22 Likes

These look like all of the Mendo Sunshine and Sunshine #4 I have popped so far, the progeny created with those cuts are mostly lanky as hell too. Without any trellis, and staking done the flowers start to flop when they gain any weight for me. Its annoying as hell but I love the effects and taste.

So what makes you think these are bubbashine leaning traits?

8 Likes

I’ve sampled this pheno multiple times in the past and from what I can tell it lines up with Bodhi’s description of the Bubbashine female. I’m open to being wrong about this if you think it is not it. Most of this post is going to be reposted from Bodhi’s thread but to answer your question :

bubbashine smells of hot buttered blueberry muffins and kush, grows like a big og covered in crystals, and has an amazing potent warm snuggly euphoric pain relieving effect,especially good for nerve pain.

it’s one of those rare varieties that sticks to the bag even after its dry, with a rich chemmy fruity berry kush terpene signature and stand out notes of sour butter. i have a pheno i call the butter cut because it smells of dank berries and butter. im really happy to get this one out there, it is beautiful natural healing medicine for the community…. super sticky kushy chemmy berry butter funk.

KNOWN PHENOS: 70% hybrid pheno, bubbashine smell with bigger buds, nervous system harmonizer… 20% appalachia pheno, tangy chemy buds with dulingl warm blanket high… 10% bubba/blue moonshine pheno tighter kushy nuggy dreamy pheno

22 Likes

Agreed! I’ve grown out two packs of f1’s, f2’s, and bx1’s I made, while extensively researching anything and everything anyone has ever said about it. My own F2 cut matches that bubbashine description pretty damn closely too.

11 Likes

Bubbashine2 fdab8bc278c248f375eba43338c0572685f7fba5_2_690x221

14 Likes

My ssdd bx #5 pheno looks very similar

not the greatest photos but this is a clone I got going outdoors right very much matches that description

11 Likes

More pictures of what I’m calling the bubbashine pheno. Very frosty flowers and stems on this one.

Those tests reports that I read from you sounded appealing to me for sure!

25 Likes

Wow that was beyond and over what I wouldve imagined for an answer, I feel like I need to screenshot and save all this for my further work! Thanks for taking the time.

I was supposed to of gotten a SSDD BX but things fell through, this makes me yearn that much more for it!

8 Likes

For me the 5 or so SSDD crosses that I’ve sampled have not resembled the BubbaShine pheno at all. They were much closer in smell and effect to my “#1” SSDD. Personally I like that pheno more for everyday use and for me the Bubbashine pheno is much more sedative and medical with less everyday use potential (for me). It’s probably more of a rare pheno but that doesn’t necessarily translate to better or more enjoyable. So far I’m enjoying the K4xSSDD more than the Bubbashine Pheno, but I’m interested to see how this pheno fares when harvested a bit earlier than normal. The SSDD male Bodhi used so far seems great in my book.

SSDD #1 - less frosty and no blueberry muffin smell. All of the SSDD crosses that I’ve tried so far has smelled like this one (my favorite smelling pheno from the F1s).

19 Likes

Pruned the lowers on the stretchy phenos and flipped…

Blueberry Hashplant. Stretchy, vigorous and larger internodal spacing than most other HP crosses that I’ve had lately. May prune those lower 2 branches as well later.

Madre Azul - Nice compact growth on this one

Madre Azul - A bit stretchier but not as much as BB HP

Redeye Jedeye - Nice and compact. Spilled some gnatrol on the lower leaf when watering @ transplant. The dried Gnatrol is what looks like (but isn’t) mold.

SSDD - BubbaShine pheno - Hoping this is pruned enough for the 1GAL pot it’s in.

25 Likes

Good looking lineup there, should be a fun grow!

9 Likes

I know that I’ve changed my mind a lot recently and have been all over the place but I have finally decided with a level of certainty what the next lineup will be. I don’t want to start a serious project but I also don’t want to be careless with the remaining K4xSSDD beans. My schedule here is still a bit chaotic and I’ve already accidentally disturbed the light cycle twice prior to pistil formation on the current genetics. This has led me to the conclusion that it isn’t a good time to make seeds where stress-induced nanners may form and go unnoticed. K4xSSDD project is on hold until I am better able to tend to the garden regularly. A stress free run of something there is a backup pack of seems ideal to me and is now the plan.

This has led me to Field Trip (GSC x SSDD) for a whole host of reasons.

• Thematically it seems appropriate given the current situation going on with B.
  • Have read overwhelmingly positive reviews on the strain from people who have grown it.
  • I have little personal experience with cookies genetics and would like to evaluate and form my own opinion on it rather than rely on the passionate anti-cookies sentiment here. Not a fan of the personalities or culture surrounding anything mainstream cannabis but that really has nothing to do with genetics at all.
  • The SSDD male sounds more attractive than the male used in the only other cookies strain that I’ve grown (Granola Funk)
  • Nanners won’t really bother me should they appear with no seed project going on
  • Have a backup pack in the event something spectacular is found or really enjoy the strain.

My introduction to gardening was over 20 years ago with extremely powerful dutch genetics that were gifted to me as cuttings, some of which were too strong for comfort. Over time I grew receptive to the idea of selecting varieties of lesser potency but with interesting effects and that led me to some pure sativa strains as well as a lot of Dj Shorts work. I’m no stranger to the idea of the importance of effects, but at the same time you have to try a lot to know what effects you actually like. For a good amount of time I dismissed the OGs as hype without trying them which was a big mistake as they actually turned out to be favorites of mine, and notably the effects really resonate with me. This was a lesson in humility and I don’t want to rely on the word of the passionate anti-cookie sentiment here, especially considering I already have the seeds.

For me almost everything I’ve had from Bodhi has had similar and satisfactory effects. The variety is fun to explore and keeps it interesting, but for me the biggest variation of concern has been in the physical form, smell, resin type, and calyx to leaf ratios. Calming, mellow, relaxing, focused , functional flowers are what I gravitate towards rather than the trippy and introspective. In my mind if that is the goal then psychedelics would provide a much more powerful and effective experience rather than just dipping toes in the water with Cannabis.

So with all that said 1 pack of Field Trip has gone into wet paper towels…

27 Likes

All of this resonates so much with me man, happy hunting, stoked to check out the plants too since I got a pack of the field trip in the fridge myself

11 Likes

Sounds like a good plan! I did the same with my last run - rather than take on a full project I went with a couple easygoing strains - wonder wookie and madre azul for fun.

I hear that - definitely my favorites lean this route - goji OG, DJ’s blue strains. Been digging the purples too lately for that mellow chill out before bed smoke.

13 Likes

Are you directing this at me???

Haha, just kidding. That’s the best way to find out whether or not you like something, is to grow it out/smoke it yourself. I did the same thing with Rare Dankness gear after having read tons of negative shit about their stuff and I really liked the three or four crosses of theirs that I’ve grown so far! Still got a bunch of their seeds, actually, and I’m not at all opposed to planting more of it soon. It’s gonna get grown at some point for sure.

And who knows? Maybe that SSDD male will really improve the GSC high. I know that one Ukrainian guy who’s been posting on the Bodhi thread lately (can’t remember his screen name offhand) really liked his Field Trip. It’s a good name, if nothing else haha. Makes me think back to when I was a kid in grade school and we’d go on field trips.

15 Likes

How’d you like that one, @ramblinrose? That was one of the recent releases that almost made me break my vow to not buy any more seeds, but I stuck to the vow haha. For once.

10 Likes

TBD! It’s about halfway through flower. Nice funky stem rub and strong growth so far. I dig it from a growth standpoint, hoping for some nice chunky OMG buds!

9 Likes