Indicana Jones Rides Again (Part 1)

Yeah they are about to hit that threshold of having to replace their 10 year old roof for outrageous monies in order to maintain their insurance. Meanwhile I’m over here chanting “SELL IT! SELL IT! SELL IT!”

2 Likes

Metal roofs are a must down here. Haha

1 Like

Why’s it always some bullshit working for some one else? I started today cutting my price in half to help a fellow contractor out. I get to the job and it’s been 100% misrepresented to me. I’m now looking at twice the work for half the money. Lol.

I’m about to smoke this fool on this invoice.

7 Likes

Yeah, I can’t imagine what it is now. My taxes and insurance equaled my mortgage in 2008. I’m sure its surpassed by a lot now.

3 Likes

A lot of people in the manual trades can’t really even bid jobs correctly anymore out here. We are constantly upside down. The estimator always says well it didn’t look that bad.

2 Likes

The insurance restoration business is crazy bad. These companies are hiring people with no construction experience to write up jobs. Some of these kids are coming off a bar tending job as their work experience. They get on a job to write an estimate and it’s sink or swim time. I get on jobs and the paperwork is calling for drywall repair when it’s a plaster repair, insulation might be missing from the scope, it’s wild.

I’ve told this particular guy that he needs to raise his prices before he goes out of business. Like genuinely concerned with his pricing practices. I went to paint two new exterior doors today. I told him last night I could do it for $600. The job was an hour away from me. He said awww man. Can you help me out, I only charged them $300. I was like wtf why? You have almost $100 in material off the jump. That leaves you with $200.

He started bragging about how he would just send his guy out there to paint it. He is $30 an hour and will get it done in 3 hours and will have 2 hours of drive time. So that’s $150 and he’ll make $50 off the deal with out doing anything. Lol. I told him it sounds like he has it figured out and that was probably the best option. He called me like an hour later really begging me to go out there cuz he couldn’t get any of his employees freed up to get out there. I said okay no problem.

When I get out there, the doors went from 1 color to 2 colors. They had dents in them that needed to be repaired, the sweeps were missing from the storm doors and needed to be reinstalled. He replaced the brick moulding so that had to be painted. Once everything got straightened out, it took me and my partner 12 man hours to get everything buttoned up plus $100 in material. I’m thinking a reasonable rate is $80 an hour plus material. This dudes about to eat his own shit.

6 Likes

Good news. One of the Gojis that I earmarked from seed is throwing pistil preflowers. I feel like this is pretty damn early.

Has anyone that is paying attention to this hot mess thread grown out the Goji OG f2s from the fall box last year? Did anyone notice any unusually vigorous females?

3 Likes

Haven’t been :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

There hasnt been a whole lot going on other than me mitigating a domino effect of catastrophies due to my procrastination and me running my mouth.

2 Likes

It do be like that sometimes.

1 Like

I should have been a plumber or an electrician. What kind of idiot tries to make a career out of drywall?

4 Likes

Drywallers are cool. They get to walk around with the stilts…lol
download (9)

4 Likes

I’d help out a buddy’s dad when I was younger doing tile, cabinets, and stuff. He’d always say to be a plumber or electrician. Plumber number one. They’d come in for twenty minutes and leave a nice invoice. Haha Had no clue how much money was in it. Saw the owners of two different plumbing companies build the most insane mansions and realized there was some dough in it.

1 Like

My homie owns his own company. His dad works for him and he came by the house to give me a quote on moving a main stack. I told him I’d have all walls removed, floor removed, everything out of the way and half of the cast iron removed so all they had to do was replumb. He was like hell yeah. That’s gonna save you $1500. I still haven’t received my estimate just to run pipe. :joy:

3 Likes

I did the same thing except for sewage lines under the basement floor. I smashed up the concrete and dug down. The scope of the work was bigger than just that but it saved me some coin.

1 Like

Haha. Dad was chatting non stop about what he was gonna do and how he was gonna do it. I understood everything he was saying and all I kept thinking was “if this is over $600 I’m gonna do it myself.”

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of hindsight. A lot I would do differently. I would have never played football, never pulled planer chain or green chain. I would have gone to trade school and been a welder. Boilermakers Union. :100:

1 Like

I had a quote to paint the front of my 2.5/3 story house, just the front, for $2000. Scaffolding safety blah blah blah. I laughed in his face and went and bought some paint and a very long pole. I think it cost about $200 but I don’t remember exactly. Didn’t take very long either.

3 Likes

Lol. Paint is what I specialize in. My man gave you a banger deal at $2000. I get it, though. Paint is cheap and something that most people can do and achieve decent results at.

1 Like

Society needs all of you. Plumbers, electricians, dry wallers, tile guys, floor guys, carpenters, you name it. I’m the worst handyman ever! Special tool for this, special tool for that. I’m amazed at how someone can spackle something and you can’t even tell there was a hole there.

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

4 Likes