Indicana Jones Rides Again (Part 1)

Ok, now I need your help!
Lol, plain and simple…
How tf does a toilet work? I mean, it’s all gravity and a vacuum, right? Theres no flapper or valves down there. Just the closet flange. I’m having issues.
Only getting a decent flush every third or fourth attempt. It’s gotta be the toilet, cuz the sink and bath drain are only two and three feet away, and they work just fine.
At first I was concerned that my septic system was failing. But it would show me in the basement drains first. No issues there. I’ve opened the tank, and we’re good. The drain field is doing its job.
I’ve attempted to snake it, but I cannot seem to make it past the U bend with my beefy ass drain snake.
So…
I’m probably going to buy a smaller snake and attempt that tomorrow. But, I likely need a new toilet, don’t I? :angry:
Thoughts?

1 Like

Yeah the plumbing system as long as vented properly does have a slight vacuum to it. Definitely try the smaller snake first.

I was having my dishwasher back up into my sink almost every time before draining. I wonder why…

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve checked many diagrams. The venting process appears to be correct. Plus, it’s worked for years.

Wtf am I looking at?

1 Like

Looking down the barrel of a 2" cast iron pipe. Looks like a 50% + blockage on it. I’m about to run a snake down that clean out in the picture tomorrow. I had my wife flush an upstairs toilet so I could watch the water go rushing by. The water barely trickled by. I’m sure the last bit of that 4 inch cast iron under the house looks just like this little pipe. 80+ years of poop juice junked up in there.

Oh wow.
Yummy!
:joy:

1 Like

Hey, be careful with snaking old cast or galvanized pipes.
I did this on a two inch galvanized drain line in the kitchen of my old house. Then found it had developed a pin hole in the cellar immediately after. Them pipes corrode from the inside out. :grimacing:

1 Like

Great. The only cast iron left is like maybe a 7 ft length buried under the main trunk for the ac. At 83 years old, I know this junk is on its last leg.

1 Like

Oh my. Good times!

1 Like

Just found out that 1/2 inch PEX fittings are compatible with 1/2 inch black tubing from hydrofarm. The connectors fit super loosey goosey in the tubing, but once the metal bands are crushed into place, you have a leak proof solution.

Now I have enough hose to drain this reservoir directly down the toilet. Life just got way better.

7 Likes

And now filling the Res.

I used to dread Res changes.

4 Likes

I’ve thought about doing that so many times, but was always worried/wondering about some residue from showers or cleaning going into my res. I just fill a five gallon jug or bucket in the tub and wheel the Brute trash can next to the tub while I do it. Your way looks a lot easier though.

2 Likes

I have this access panel to some water lines in the master bath room on the adjoining wall.

I’ve been contemplating having a P-trap come out of the wall to drain into that would tie into the sink drain and I could tap into the cold water line in that access panel and have water that much closer.

But like… Do I take it that far? Am I gonna live her forever? Haha.

3 Likes

Exactly! That would be sick as hell, but you already have a pretty sweet setup with the tub and no work when you want to sell. I want to sell my place in five years, buy two acres in the woods, and have a place built from plans. Probably be stuck here forever though. Haha

1 Like

Who even knows with this wild ass housing market. I found one of those historic 5000 SQ ft houses down the road from me for sale for like $150k right now. This shit is unheard of. I’m trying to see if I have the juice to buy that thing before some one else sees it lol.

2 Likes

I looked at some super cool old places in Georgia for decent prices, but the upkeep and all of that scared me off. One amazing place had me drive up for an in-person tour and then informed me it had a crack in the foundation they weren’t fixing. After that, I was done. I wanted to kill those people. Haha I’ve always said if I was rich I’d buy an awesome old craftsman and restore it perfectly, but doesn’t seem like that rich part is happening. Jealous you can do it all on your own or get decent deals on stuff from friends. Old houses are much much better looking houses. They have actual style and heart/soul to them.

2 Likes

This is for sure. The upkeep is terrifying. Especially on those monster sq footage homes. There’s just so much realestate to contend with on them. Problems lurking at every corner. Haha. This one I’m looking at is from the 1890s I think. Even that is a little bit out of my comfort zone. I think the rehab on that thing would eat my ass alive.

3 Likes

I had a house that was so old it had a fireplace in the kitchen for cooking.

Looked awesome. Fucking money pit. Even doing the work myself.

1 Like

That’s awesome. I love stuff like that. There was an old house that came up for sale here a few years ago. It’s opulent. It has a domed stained glass window made by Tiffany. It was like 650k. I was showing it to the homies in California and they were getting sick. Haha. I’m glad I didn’t even try to buy it cuz the restoration on the veranda alone would have broke me. I’m gonna see if I can find some pictures of this thing.

1 Like

@Foreigner

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/104-S-Broad-St-Suffolk-VA-23434/79300450_zpid/?utm_campaign=androidappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

2 Likes

Wow that’s awesome. It looks more like a museum than a house. It’s also kind of cool (and scary) to see the Reno’s done indifferent eras based on aesthetic choices.

I saw a few houses that were not as ornate as that and my first thought was this is beautiful holy cow.

My second thought was: this house will bankrupt me.

3 Likes