Irene (sourced from FJ)

Very VERY well put @herojuana.tom respect :facepunch:t2:

4 Likes

Which strains are these? It surely isn’t cookies… everything good I’ve seen in decades was found no later than early 00s, the better ones are from the 80s.

5 Likes

Analogously to Stigler’s law of eponymy, no discovery is named after its original discoverer: We only recognize the currrent evangelists blowing their hype-trumpets. :joy:

“Bernard of Chartres used to compare us to dwarfs perched on the shoulders of giants. He pointed out that we see more and farther than our predecessors, not because we have keener vision or greater height, but because we are lifted up and borne aloft on their gigantic stature.”

7 Likes

Quite a few. Have you ever hunted through some old Durban that took 14-16 weeks to flower and had fluffy runny nuggs? Because nowadays we have 8-and 10- week Durban lines that produce huge beautiful nuggs. Many strains are like this, with the newer offerings being more stable (less herms), higher yielding, faster flowering, with “more bag appeal”. And I hear that people are liking strains like Wedding cake because it is like TK but has the larger yield of more recently available genetics. I agree that cookies strains are a bit lackluster, but GMO is a cookie strain and it rocks! Well, except for taking 14 weeks to flower :sweat_smile: Sadly, many cookies crosses end up having “cardboard” terps so it isn’t really a strain that can be crossed… but people do love it and I will admit; I love the taste but don’t like the latent anger and lackluster quality of high that seems to be hiding in many cookies runoffs.

5 Likes

I can’t say I’ve had an 8-10 week haze or durban that was anywhere close as good as the 12,14,16+ week hazes and durban’s. In fact, Dutch’ing the strains into shorter flower times and better bag appeal is exactly what most have complained about the Dutch doing to haze and skunk and whatnot for the last ~30 some-odd years.

I think that’s why we’re seeing a resurgence in the older lines(bunch of haze work going on lately) and all these clones lately. But I digress.

Anyone think the Irene might be an OG leaning Bubba S1? What’s the stem rub like on her?

4 Likes

Denali always said it was a bagseed off The Kush

1 Like

I can agree with that assessment, although there are always outliers, it does seem like many breeders have been back-crossing their strains to the legacy cuts lately… for whatever reason. Although breeders have tamed many strains, many of those strains suffer from inbreeding depression and their lack of variability in many cases seems to have decreased those strains chances of expressing more diverse and uniquely desirable sublime traits. That doesn’t seem to stop growers from popping an unsuitably small population of seeds for further inbreeding though.

I am dying to try the Irene, it was touted as having come from the Larry of Larry OG fame (not the Lemon Larry that I knew) The Infamous Irene Kush...straight outta' the Dirty South!!! | Page 6 | International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

4 Likes

Damn, rudeboi droppin info

2 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:!! mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Pipe thread teflon tape works amazing for this

2 Likes

I hope you are well @hoss8455!

2 Likes

Looks like I might’ve been right here :thinking:

Still wanna know what that stem rub smells like on the Irene…

5 Likes

Almost like Bubba but a little sweeter imo. They almost look identical for me in veg too so there is that.

8 Likes

Yup, 100% other than the colour difference and the sweet yet dank stem rub , they do look identical! I have two cuts of each in different stages and it’s crazy how similar they are.

3 Likes

This is the cut I have sought for a while now, two people would not part with her due to “promises” but I think I finally found and will have her by winter finally! :crossed_fingers:t3: one of my favourite OG’s

7 Likes

Hell yes! Can’t wait

2 Likes

Larry is the one plant that is right up there with the Bubba to me, quite tasty and an excellent stoniness.

15 Likes

Ooooh got me drooling just thinking about her, ironically Mike got his from SMF looong while back, gave her out, then when she was lost they wouldn’t give her back, I’ve sought her since. I could not agree more an absolute gem! The ones that always lingered in my head were bubba, Irene, pink, Larry , triangle and Chem-D as the ones that got away…. Until recently. Only pink and Larry are still in the air.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth I’m dropping Irene. LAPK is my top kush lady followed by TK. Running Dogwalker now for the first time.

10 Likes

Have you ran motorbreath tom?

3 Likes