Is it paranoia or what?

here in NY where I live, getting a medical cannabis card to access dispensaries when there aren’t ANY closer than an hours drive. so when grow rights got included, I decided to renew my card.

now it’s up for annual renewal & I’m wondering, once registered, will the state ever forget about my grow? I’ve heard they have the right to search & seizure, but no grow inspection or anything.

I guess I wondered, does this mean I can never go back to being anonymous after I’ve registered myself as a medical cannabis user & grower? :eyes::woman_shrugging: I didn’t think about all the repercussions when I got the card.

in NY the limit is 6 plants per person so they don’t understand I might need to grow a dozen to find that 6.

7 Likes

Once you registered yourself as a grower you are now on there radar.

8 Likes

Yes you’re on the list now sorry to say

4 Likes

I was unaware you had to register as a grower in NY… I would assume they have it indefinitely. Best of luck

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it. There’s literally hundreds of thousands of people in my state with a card. The only way they decide to bother me for growing is if I was stealing power or selling it illegally.

17 Likes

Yes, they know about you, but do they care? Probably not.

8 Likes

@pharmerfil has it right, in fact they may use the address on the list for medical as a reason not to come knocking. they may not immediately see that it is expired and just say “he’s legal, pass on this one”. like if a neighbor reports a smell or an ex girlfriend gives an anonymous tip. maybe. i wouldn’t worry about it. i got a card in wv.

3 Likes

A larger chance of interference if you have ever previously or ever in future register/purchase a firearm, but thats more of a NY political extremism concern.

Better chance of winning the lottery while getting struck by lightning than having state boys raid your homegrow.

5 Likes

The cats I have know either have no fear and go over plant count with their card or refuse to go medical to avoid the list.

In the end the only peeps that I have heard of getting in trouble for growing had the police at their house for a domestic dispute. Be good to your woman/ don’t sleep with crazy is what I say :grin:

15 Likes

Quiet as it’s kept, they knew about it already…CC purchases (grow-related items, etc), On-line Search Patterns, and such. Don’t worry, you are only ONE of tens of MILLIONS of new growers. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

The Min you registered for that Card in NY it was logged in thier system through your drivers license

1 Like

that’s only a real concern if you’re an idiot or high and check the box that says yes you have smoked pot. at least as of right now there is no overlap or communication between the ny medical (or any state) program and the federal system they use for the checks. could change but as of right now it’s not an issue.

I’m in NY and let me tell you Medical is a joke and half.
The bulk majority of people will not get their card. The bulk majority of people grow as many plants as they want.
The bulk majority of cops dont want to touch any of it with a 10’ pole.

Also we are only “allowed” to have 3 flowering plants and 3 in veg

3 Likes

Honestly unless you’re supporting the black market and making money off of it or stealing power you 100% don’t have to worry. They don’t give a flying car about your closet grow. As long as the laws are being followed in your area they will most likely leave you alone and go after the fentanyl lab down the street I would hope.

1 Like

My mom passed away here Sunday afternoon. The police came in for the death investigation and they were all over my registered grow area.

Three of them with body cameras looked at each plant, my mixing area, the amendments, my lights, the tent, and my shelves. I made sure they got a real good look at the Mammoth Mint White 880-watt after I turned it up to 100%.

13 Likes

It’s not paranoia that they have your info and will never let go of it. As far as whether “they” are going to be out to get you, it depends. Generally not, if there’s not lots of money involved in your grow - if it doesn’t have to do with money or politics, you’re probably safe. As far as the politics of it, well, I dunno. The federal government has, quite recently, been arguing in court that merely signing up for a medical card is enough to assume that person to have committed multiple federal crimes and sentence them accordingly, just without the bother of a trial. It’s going to get thrown out if it hasn’t already, but it’s not a stretch to think that they, or another administration with fascist tendencies and different political priorities than guns, might try to leverage such a database later on. The exact details of whether it would be as unconstitutional as this move depend on exactly how they go about it. It’s reason enough for me to stay away from the medical program, I know that.

To be fair, all of our information is available to the government at any time - the NSA knows exactly what everyone is saying on the internet at any given time because they’ve installed backdoors everywhere, the third-party doctrine allows government agencies to bypass the Fourth Amendment and compel anyone we’ve ever interacted with to give up information on us without a warrant, etc - but it’s a matter of which groups within the government have acess to the information. Most likely as long as it never gets to your local cops, you’re fine. Even if it does get to your local cops, it depends how lazy they’re feeling, whether their officers are on their asses to get a bust, and how many other people are growing in the same area.

6 Likes

Extending sincere Condolences. Still, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Channeled my inner George Carlin

“Rule number 1 Never trust the government”

3 Likes

wait, wtf is a “registered grow area”?

They want you to attest that your grow will be at your residence, not somewhere else, confined. Etc…
Condolences to you and your family SEMOactivist. Take care of yourself.

2 Likes