Is there a market for homogeneous genetics anymore?

You may be right, i am mearly self educated on the topic and although i have read a lot about it there is a lot of misimformation and opinionated imformation to comb through… i was under the impression that a true bread f1 would be mostly uniform, expressing the dominant gene from each parent and should have hybrid vigour. I have tried to study mendals laws but it becomes a crap shoot when youre working with polyhybrids as far as i understand because of all the recessive traits that can pop up

3 Likes

A true F1 is a cross of two homozygous parent lines and will be nearly 100% homogenous

2 Likes

I don’t think there is a “bad” blue dream. It’s pretty distinctive. Big buds with little leaf, medium density, smells like sweet floral hobo sock. People just sell anything as Blue Dream to capitalize on name recognition.

7 Likes

Sweet floral hobo sock? Guess you get a different class of hobo where your at?

4 Likes

Yeah I get confused sometimes. I will re research

Where you at st tropes ? It’s actually legal to beg there I think? Maybe floral socks there I can send my socks for comparison? They don’t call me funk junky for nuttin!!! Bro

anything from humboldt seed organization is a knock off. They are a copycat seed bank, nothing unique about their “breeding”, its just stealing other genetics and reproducing en masse.

3 Likes

aand just to clarify, Humboldt Seed Company is in the Humboldt area, is authentic, and does real breeding with massive phenotype hunts and other exciting breeding projects. I like them.

4 Likes

A really interesting take on it man… what you are describing is also an issue with coffee production, i.e cup quality is but one of a number of characteristics that are selected for by breeders, so that frequently it is not the best coffee that is grown by the dominant large industrial producers, but one that also ripens at the same time, is drought tolerant, holds to the plant less than a certain amount so it can be mechanically harvested, is resistant to local diseases etc,etc. Like coffee has done, where micro batches of speciality high quality and distinctive types of coffee are highly sought, maybe that is the best we can hope for when legalisation becomes truly global???

I guess there are some similar things that have occurred with micro breweries and distilleries. Where people get tired of bland and flavourless cat piss and look for some sort of authenticity and real flavour. It wasn’t so long ago here that 95% of beer used one type hop, and none of it was any good, but now breweries are breeding their own yeasts and defining their own hop aromatic profiles for hop breeders and growers etc It’s probably not surprising that the market for beer with flavour has grown at the expense of the regular cat piss. Maybe that will eventuate here? Unfortunately it may take a long time and eviscerate through dilution a lot of potentially unique genetics in the process… IDK man, I recently spent some time checking out a new vanilla and coccao bean co-op here in the tropics, what’s old is new again it seems… likewise the drive for them, and the reason people will pay a premium is the unique characters and guaranteed quality of the end product… I guess it makes sense, something memorable is always going to have a better market appeal?

Maybe we are just headed for a massive green boom/bust that like the tech wreck will clear out the sharks and eventually when the dust has settled autenticity and quality will still be the things people look for? I guess that’s why genetic preservation is so important… otherwise in 10 years or so EVERYONE virtually is working with the same genetic grey goo… Like I say though, I am an optimist that over the long term people will always prefer the ‘good shit’ :grin:

10 Likes

This reminds me of a bud I ran across one time, a GDP if I remember correctly. The bracts of the flower seemed to let go of the stem like a ripe fruit, and even though it was dense, the whole bud just disassembled when pressure was applied.

It was perfect, and I’ve only ever seen it happen to the bud from that one plant.

7 Likes

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.
I award you a million points. And you can pass go

1 Like

Ha, my dads got a similar story, but both beers were Budweiser. He used to get excited when he could get “St Louis Bud” instead of the stuff bottled in the northeast, swore it was 100x better. He was the same way with Dutch vs imported Heineken, used to have the guys hide a few cases in the back of the shipping container when he was buying bulbs.

3 Likes

I’d be pretty stoked to know how the plant was going to express from jump, that’s something you don’t get with a lot of the newer stuff. Sure they might all be keepers by any reasonable standard but then you have to decide which one to keep, clone a mom, have room for a mom etc.

I thought that I’d resurrect this thread. I’m looking for suggestions for seed varieties that produce homogeneous plants w/ classic haze/sativa effect.

1 Like

@Jacksprat Magnum opus is one worth checking out, blueberry muffin is another. Not homogenous, really isn’t going to happen in the cannabis world, but gets you closer as these are up to F11 and F8.

2 Likes

Neither of those have a “classic haze/ sativa effect” @Acro

1 Like

They sure don’t, that’s what I get for reading quick on my phone :rofl:

@Jacksprat You should get some pretty consistent haze/sativa plants from from some of the Dutch breeders. Dutch passion has some nicely worked hazes. I don’t see any way they’re getting the kind of structure if they’re not worked. I might take some heat for this, but Liberty Haze and Amnesia Lemon from Barneys are really nice from what I’ve seen. Also, check out some of the stuff from Ace if you don’t mind some longer flower times.

1 Like

I believe Tenzin Kush is homozygous from listening to GB discuss the breeding. Khalifa genetics has a Skunk1 (Aladdins) that is extremely uniform and stable. They tend to specialize in IBL landraces and true F1 breeding as well. Persian Prince is a very nice F1 variety.
Look to Tony Green for some extremely stable and thoughtful breeding here in 'Merica

2 Likes

What do we think about people introducing these Triploid fem seeds into the market??