Is this any good?

Okay lol now my cousin just dropped this off to me and I don’t think I can use it…he says it’s good but I need a 2nd opinion.

2 Likes

It’s good for your lawn…that’s about it. I wouldn’t use it for cannabis, though.

The specs say it’s only 9-0-0, so that alone tells you to get something more well-rounded for feeding. Then there’s the weed killers present which I couldn’t find any info on.

2 Likes

It doesn’t “kill weeds” per se, but it does stop any seed from germinating.
Straight nitrogen, maybe could use it, but don’t add it to soil, then expect to germ in it.

3 Likes

Upon further research, it looks like it’s 100% derived from corn gluten meal. Regardless, I would still opt for something that delivers some P and K rather than a sole N-based fertilizer.

1 Like

It’s a pure nitrogen organic input that takes about 3-4 months to break down… it might not hurt to add some to your soil when re-amending if you’re using that soil only for transplants, though nitrogen obviously isn’t all they need even in veg. As others have mentioned, don’t use it for seedlings, but mature plants and transplants with decent root systems should do fine with it, if you particularly want to use it up and don’t have anything else useful to do with it. It’s not ideal - earthworm castings are gonna be far better, or fish hydrolysate if you don’t mind a little salt, and both will break down far quicker than this on top of the seedling issues.

1 Like

My gut was telling me it wouldn’t be a significant benefit…but idk. Maybe I can pre treat it with blackstrap molasses and feed the microbiology and that in-turn enrich this lawn dirt? I’m just thinking “out loud” I kinda don’t want to waste it so I’m a little torn. Lol

1 Like

At that point you’re basically making compost tea with it… I think it would work pretty similarly, in that the compost tea would also carry whatever proteins are inhibiting seedling root development, but you’d just be helping it break down quicker. You might want to add some EWC or compost of some sort to the corn gluten meal just to give it a starter culture of bacteria, if you’re going to do that.

All that said, a little more research turns up just as many webpages saying it’s a myth or only halfway works as a weed-killer. :man_shrugging: One page that I found said it works mostly on small-seeded annual or semi-annual weeds… I guess cannabis would qualify? Dunno, and I doubt we’d find many studies on that. Here’s a link to a page with a collection of research, if you really want to make sure, or you could just pick a plant you wouldn’t miss too much and experiment if you prefer the quick and dirty method of research instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Hashton_Kusha I don’t think it’s actually a weed killer, but a pre-emergent that stops some seeds from germinating. Epsoma makes some good things, but I don’t think I’d use that on our “weed.”

1 Like

I guess I’ll toss it because I care about all my babies…I won’t risk a seed. It’s not a big loss it was free maybe my neighbor can use it on her tulips.

It’s for lawns :slight_smile:

2 Likes

…and Blackstrap molasses is for cooking but it benefits horticulture…so what’s your point?

1 Like

Give it a Go Then :metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like

I will…I’m going to add it to my recycled soil

Oh, nothing, lol!

Make your own!
Espoma is great-- but not THAT particular product. They have bags of pre-mixed dry organic ferts for different uses… we have used it outdoors and in planters in the past…we used Bloom-Tone mixed in BX Promix with great success… the occasional addition of compost tea or Guano tea for additional ‘N’ during veg helps…
There is a good soil called ‘M3 Michigan Made Mix’’ which is one you just water and never feed, except in late bloom…I know the crew that makes it, and have used it a few times…but is pricey if doing more than a few plants.

1 Like