Is this plant flowering on me?

Lights are on 24h and I have a sneaking suspicion these plants are flowering on me from being in solo cups for way too long. They have some landrace in them and I know many of them are known to have semi auto traits, and they are majorly rootbound so it could be a reaction to that aswell.

6 Likes

That’s a flower …

2 Likes

Methinks they be flowering.

2 Likes

Yeah I figured as much it seemed like way too many pistils for veg. I do wonder if it’s the genetics or the rootboundness of them

3 Likes

Definitely flowering.

4 Likes

First guess is genetics. I sometimes run heavily rootbound and it’s ok as long as you can keep up with food and water.

4 Likes

Ok right on that makes sense. I up potted all but 2 of them so I guess I’ll know for sure if they reveg

1 Like

I would say genetics as well, I do full runs in solos just for fun and have not had that issue.

10 Likes

I have had some plants do the same thing, photo period seeds that started to “auto flower”.
I wouldn’t even bother trying to clone it, that plant has its mind set on flowering.

2 Likes

I’m looking for moms so I’m definitely not keeping these ones

2 Likes

3 Likes

Could be both. My old Afghan will autoflower if it gets rootbound in a cup. I think it may be a survival mechanism for some dry-area plants. Imagine early-season during snow melt time a seed that has fallen in between two rocks forming a bowl and germinates. The Roots soon sense the limits of their boundaries. There is nothing but rock with some soil on top. If this plant doesn’t flower before it gets too hot out, it will never reproduce. The small bit of soil that it is in can never hold enough water for the plant to make through the hotter months. So it autoflowers.
Problem with this Theory are the tropical wet area plants that Autoflower. Maybe this can be explained in a similar fashion. Perhaps coming from a wet climate these plants have become wasteful when it comes to water. They are water pigs. These plants would be so inefficient with water they need a large root system to feed their appetite. If the soil goes dry they Autoflower.
Of course this is a theory but it is based on solid information. Moroccan Beldia autoflowers. The climate in Morocco has gotten drier over the last 800 years. The wet spring time weather ended earlier and earlier each year until finally any late plants would not have a hope of finishing their flowering. Only the earliest flowering plants survived to reproduce each year until the plants began flowering while the days were growing longer. Today these plants flower under any light cycle after six weeks of growth.

5 Likes