I've been hunting unicorns "Da Lat"

Im not really into fertilizers, but i heard seaweed contains nearly all Nutrients that exists. They are not longterm-fertilizers, and thats what i actually would want them to be. There is a fertilizer sold made out seaweed that clamis to be longterm tho. I think it has something added, so Nutrients are relased slowly.

The cooles thing would be if i could find a homemade way to make seaweed longterm… Cause you can find it easily in any lake, and go collecting on a hot summerday, for free.

3 Likes

That is a really good idea. It’s likely someone here has played with that idea. If not, might need to start experiments!

If you live on the coast , obviously you can collect almost unlimited amounts of seaweed. Don’t know about lake/Resevoir/river weeds…or if the seaweed you harvest at your ocean beach is as beneficial as the types that are being sold, something to be researched for sure. Sure know my plants like it!!!
We are getting a bit off base for the Da Lat thread, but a good discussion for sure!!!

2 Likes

It is not just any seaweed, but rather a specific type of kelp ascophyllum nodosum. The name always reminds me of a Harry Potter spell.

13 Likes

Anyone who lives in New England, or Atlantic Ocean accessible Canada, it is the seaweed that has little egg-shaped bubbles along its length.

There are other benefits to other seaweeds and kelps, saltwater and freshwater alike, but you’d have to get their hormone levels tested to decide when and for what to use them.

10 Likes

I opened a Topic about Seaweed Fertilizer, please continu there: Seaweed - a perfect Fertilizer?

10 Likes

I like to go to the woods and find leaf mold around creek bottoms

• i have places to find natural microbes as well.
    and yes, I’m a cheapo…
7 Likes

Thats not cheap thats smart. Have you ever tried to make IMO? Or tried KNF?

4 Likes

yep - spring or summer only time I had success…Lacto is good way to go too.

1 Like

Ah, I think we call that rockweed, the easiest for me to get in quantity, washed up or harvested right from tidal zone. I remember reading There’s a daily limit for harvesting seaweed here. We even have seaweed farms, they come and buy fish tanks from my work often lol.

3 Likes

Ok time for the monday morning update. Week 2 of 11/13 light cycle. they are all starting to stabilize no more funky colored/shaped leafs by 6th node. # 4 is thriving it has branches coming out above every fan leaf. Nothing’s been topped or femmed let the stretch begin.
#1. 10 " tall

15 Likes

#2. 8 1/2" tall

13 Likes

#3 7" tall

12 Likes

#4. 9" tall

13 Likes

#5 7" tall

11 Likes

#6. 8 1/2 " tall

11 Likes

I am curious to everyones opinion on the wierd shape and color of the leafs.

13 Likes

Those are looking really nice man, weird leaf shapes and all. Great job!! :grinning:
:guitar:

5 Likes

saw same leafshapes in Snowys Vietblackselections… i was ever wondering if he did some weird things ? hahah, not that i doubt he careful selecting.

Then to the bright spots, i saw spottet vietnamese two other times. If its that its something different to albinism. And slightly strange leafes, aswell spottet leafes never appeared to be a major problem.

Somehow however it looks albino`ish /variegated.
Albinism would be rather an unwanted trait, since such plants can be slightly unhealthy.

shown in picture is minor problem, atleast if its not as pronounced as on this. its a trait apperant in “wild” strains

9 Likes

Afghani is known to have similar weird leaves in some lines, and its thought that years and years of inbreeding from a small starting population is responsible. Maybe this is a very old line?
Great job! Very happy plants!

4 Likes