I've been hunting unicorns "Da Lat"

That is truly some jungle looking stuff. All those thin thick Bunches of leafs. I would not mind hacking myself a path thru this jungle thou. Good stuff!

4 Likes

Thanks @dequilo that tent with the light is a 4x4x80" and the light is at 75" and it is the bridgelux light i built with the help of a lot of people here on O.G. you can see build over on cheap led thread. She goes around 600 watts if i remember correctly and only cost me a little over $400 to build. I absolutely love it working on my next build already.

4 Likes

@Upstate did you happen to notice that the one in front left of thai tent looks a little different??? I think it is kampuchia red it was in a peat pod and i kinda wrote it off as dud. And 2 weeks later i noticed a little plant coming out of pod so i threw it in a pot and she took off. 2 wks no water/ attention and they sprout maybe im to nice to them.

2 Likes

Some land races like pure wikd Thai are hard to get any solid females out of due to such large Herm influence in wild populations. Sometimes the only choice is to pick the most female looking one and breed to that and work the Herm out over many generations. This is why sine if the stable heirloom lines are so importent people spend generations working the undesirable traits out.

9 Likes

Found a herm, but I’m sure it’s due to stress. I cut a few branches of the frosty male and put them in water to collect what little pollen it had left. They all stayed in the water under 24hrs of light for about 2 weeks. Checked about 2 days ago

EDIT: the plants hermed after they were cut. There are no signs of herming on the main plant.

10 Likes

If you are not planning on smoking that I will lol! Seriously, what a male! Id have to smoke it. I have read that in some rare instances males can be even more potent than females in SE Aisian landraces. That one is a candidate if I ever saw one😁.
@yobigdaddy, thats great news! The plants are all looking great! I see the one you are talking about now. It does look different. So does the one front and center…whats that one,? How many weeks in are you now? Edit…week 13 flowering.
What kind of smells are you getting?

6 Likes

The ones in the back are AKA Marty Johnson Buddha Thai. There’s a couple Sunrise Thai on the right and in the middle and that monster on the left is stretching all over the place I’m tying it down everyday. And the smells chocolate and coffee you can’t smell anything else overpowering and don’t bump into the chocolate ones cuz you’ll smell it all day long which is kind of cool actually. I went back and looked i was off a little like week 10

5 Likes

Should bottle up that smell and sell as perfume… I wouldn’t be able to stay away from the wife if she wore it, to bad she’d never wear it thou. Also good thing didn’t start with that. something that strong with a carbon filter at that and three other plants to over power there smell to. She might be re thinking giving me the go ahead to start my own adventure. One day young grass hopper will be ready for some land race strains thou! Espically with you folks leading the way in what works and doesn’t with this wanting to be 20 ft. Monsters inside a tent/room. Good stuff good stuff!

4 Likes

The chocolate is from the Sunrise Thai right? Such a different smell. I’ve never come across that before. Great lineup you have! I’m so happy for you that you have a Kampuches Red!

3 Likes

Yes definitely the sunrise. I grew a chocolate thai once before no ware near as potent as this one. I wish i could bottle that smell its amazing. Although i didnt get any males from the sunrise. I dusted a few lowers with the buddha thai. But I’m hoping you get some worthy of seed run I’ll be first in line.

3 Likes

I thought everybody loved chocolate. You never know she might fall in love with the smell.

3 Likes

Some she doesn’t mind as much as others. Deffinatly excited to go thru several attempts of finding something that is a pleasant smell to her!

3 Likes

I have it written down somewhere on how to get more female plants. I’ll do everything the opposite of what it says and hope for some males. It would be a shame to lose that one. Going by looks alone, it’s one of the most potent sativas I’ve ever seen. Gnarly looking. How is it controlling the height on those? What size pots do you have them in?

4 Likes

I’m going to keep that thing going until Steve gets back to New Zealand gets more from his stash and send them to me are yours come through whichever comes first I read somewhere about red lights helping them become females. Maybe blue lights make male’s I don’t know. All of the plants are 4-5 ft tall that one I’ve got bent over and tied two other plants all over the tent it’s crazy I bend it over it’s 8 in from the light I go to sleep wake up and it’s through the light

4 Likes

Most or in 3 gal. Pots sunrise and kr in 5 gal

3 Likes

How would I find Steve’s site?

3 Likes

@Guitarzan Steve dando. Steve.mrrabbit on IG i got you covered on buddha thai they will be coming with the da lat

3 Likes

Shango los on you tube talking about tissue culture if your interested @Guitarzan #74

3 Likes

Wow those things sound out of control! Crazy vigorous! A good trait to pass on to any offspring. I think you’re right about blue lights and red lights. Of course they’re saying now that plants sex is predetermined, 'or determined almost immediately. How old does a plant have to be for labs to tell you what sex it is? It’s incredibly Young. Anyway, it’ll be cool their first days of life after germination, and you would think cold temperatures for a tropical variety would help you get males. Fingers crossed something pops!

4 Likes

Which one is the chocolate tasting strain? I love that taste in pot but haven’t had it much for years. I do have a strain from some friends in Netherlands that gave me a pheno of lemon tastes that kept fading and adding on top, chocolate flavors. The breeder hadn’t come across that pheno so It may have been real rare. It’s called Cartel Haze from NAW seeds. It was phenomenal and of course I didn’t cop a clone from it. I do have more seeds of it and want to see if he has more I could get, so I could look through them to find it again…

I have a strain that @Sunvalley made, I believe that is Cuvee x UK Blues and he said people had gotten nice chocolate phenos in them. I need to get some in dirt… peace

5 Likes