I've been hunting unicorns "Da Lat"

I know him, did he now finally sell the 30 year old Thailine? Marty Johnstone Thaistick??

6 Likes

Yep, thats the one

6 Likes

Plants are looking great! Excellent to see green above ground! Loved the intro to the thread too. Reads like a book.

4 Likes

Peace All. The Killing Fields was an old movie about the Cambodian Pol Pots if I am not mistaken and so the bud with the same name may have come from this region hence the name. Becuz it is in Cambodia that the Killing Fields exists. Stay safe and be well :fist:t6:
Peace

5 Likes

Man, that’s a great story. :grinning: And great job on the seeds too. :+1::+1::+1: Is Monkey Puzzle a bank, or a website, or just a dude? I love checking out stuff like that man.

So is there a Red Dalat in the future? :slight_smile:
:guitar:

8 Likes

Late to the party as usual…
I’m pulling up a chair for this one! :+1: :sunglasses:

An idea that has been rolling around in my head for a while…
Something you never hear about is Laotian cannabis - but if you look at a map, Laos is bordered by Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia. It has to have some great shit.
Further, I’ll bet their local landraces are reasonably clean of foreign imports.
I suspect there are going to be some great genetics that haven’t been ‘discovered’ by the west there.

Cheers
G

10 Likes

I’m going to Laos next year to hunt for landrace cannabis. I’ve been compiling research mostly on the country and probable locations so far, not so much on the cannabis of the region. I have a lot of theories about the intermixing of cannabis genetics between the countries in the Golden Triangle. For a very long time–and even now–borders in many of those regions (Northern Thailand along the Shan, The Ho Chi Minh Trail, the tributaries along the rural Mekong, etc) are merely suggestions. The idea of a Thai Sativa and a Burmese Sativa don’t exist, in a sense, insomuch as the borders between the countries don’t exist for cannabis farmers and smugglers.

I am about 30 years too late, but one thing I want to explore is the cannabis differences between the countries. I am going from Thailand to South/Central Asia via bus/foot/motorbike as soon as the world returns something resembling normal. I’m giving myself at least six months to complete the journey.

26 Likes

:laughing: I’m sitting here wondering the same thing! I’m hoping those might be gypsy nirvana Thai stick seeds

3 Likes

it’s not much, but i have some bodhi seeds testers of a “lush x purple unicorn f3”, i mention it because lush is suge pure kush crossed with Laos. i think there’s more details on that ‘Laos’ if you look into. I know it’s only a fraction ‘laos’ weed but it goes to show that at least it’s around somewhere and bodhi has/had some.

7 Likes

I like your thinking. In North America, we are accustomed to borders that are “harder” than in many places. I doubt the farmers near these borders pay any attention to them.

I can’t wait to watch your trip. :v:t4:

11 Likes

That sounds like an incredible trip!!

4 Likes

Thanks! I can’t wait to get it started. I’ve been working on this for years. I’ll be posting it all on my site, including all the planning and prep. 2021 is South/Southeast Asia, 2022 is Latin America, and 2023 is Africa. I’m sorta all-in on this one, for better and for worse.

13 Likes

I appreciate that! Any seeds I collect are going to be given away, mostly to this community. I am not going to keep or sell ANY seeds. Once this is underway, I won’t have a home anymore (I’m gonna be voluntarily homeless), so my growing days will be over for many years.

16 Likes

make sure that you get some “foreign” currency to have ready for ‘bribe’ money.
most ASEAN people have never seen the Korean Won , so that is the bill I used to carry for unexpected BS; get like 10 bills to have in your wallet. most places won’t take USD other than the new $100 due to counterfeits. the XE for KR Won is 1 USD = 1,132.17 KRW, so like 90 cents per bill

15 Likes

Now that is some awesome info! Some of those bribes, in some of those areas, can get quite expensive depending on your activity.

6 Likes

The Killing Fields that the lady you’re talking about had is probably that Sannie’s cross, I think it’s a Jack Hybrid. Definitely not Vietnamese. People slapped names on strains all the time back in the day (and still do, I guess), so whatever that Killing Fields you had back in the day was, it was probably not even closely related to Sannie’s. And probably your dad’s buddy was the only one who called it Killing Fields back then, too.

I will say this: we will never get as high as we got when we were kids. The experience you described, with the bird and all that, that shit used to happen to me every day, just smoking Mexican brick weed. Uncontrollable laughter. Tripping out on mundane shit. Time flying by or stretching to a standstill. But the laughter is the main thing I remember, just not being able to stop laughing. After the first time I ate acid, when I was 14 or 15, weed quit affecting me like that. I dunno why, but it did.

Having said that, that doesn’t mean we should quit looking for that weed we remember from our youth. That’s the whole reason I started growing my own, to see if I could find a strain that makes me feel like I did when I was a kid. Haven’t found it yet, but I’ll keep looking…

Let us know how your search goes, I’m real interested.

15 Likes

@minitiger it was sannies and nothing like what i was looking for. Your are correct about throwing names out there. Back in the day as long as it did the trick i didnt care what you called it. I hope your wrong about never getting as high as we did back then. I believe in the right environment and proper genetix, we can get close i hope so anyhow. Happy hunting

10 Likes

I don’t think i have tried any but am definitely interested in anything from that region. So if you can point me in right direction much appreciated.sounds like we enjoy alot of same things. Do you have any pics of vietiane i had some once but it was small bushy sativa not what i was expecting so curios if it was legit.

1 Like

I’m sorry, brother, I thought I replied to your PM. lol

They’re sold by The Real Seed Co as Mango Thai.

Problem is there’s at least two different lines in the world being sold as Mango Thai.
I forget where the old version was from, but according to Angus from RSC the current line is from Vientiane Laos, and the area surrounding the Mekong River is known as Meuang Lao.

This is my current breeding pair, to reproduce the line pure. The female is probably a month and a half, the male just a few weeks? Those numbers might be wildly inaccurate, I try not to keep track of these superlong sativas.

I’ve also got this monstrosity of a houseplant, in desperate need of water, that the breeding pair was taken out of.

17 Likes

There’s some rare seeds would love to see a preservation run done on those when you get to growing those out!

2 Likes