Jinglepot’s Grow and Adventures

That’s good bad luck. Bad luck it burnt, good luck you caught it.

9 Likes

Dang that freaks me out. Im just glad im not running heaters. Those pull some serious current. Glad you are all good and issue has been caught.

7 Likes

Glad you caught that brother, that could have been super serious. Stay safe and enjoy your trip.

8 Likes

Yikes dude! Glad you caught that! Was there something else plugged into that splitter?
I’ve come to realize things can draw a lot more power on the upstart than you would think.

5 Likes

Nope just that one heater. I need to rethink my heating set up though :no_mouth:

6 Likes

Third time’s the charm, I got a lucky feeling about this one…

Glad that wasn’t more serious than it was.

4 Likes

I don’t trust those heaters at all.
I would never leave them unattended.
I know a few people that have lost their home and everything they had because of those fuckin things.
Just my opinion, those things terrify me. :grimacing:

Good to hear you are okay and you caught it in time!

7 Likes

Wow!
I saw that burned up plug and thought “oh no. The lights burned up!”
Glad you caught that bro. Coulda been catastrophic.

4 Likes

Third time won’t be the charm if it’s a space heater. I did the math on this before at some point; can’t remember it exactly, but what it comes it out to is that an Inkbird can’t handle the average heater. Another guy had his melt exactly the same way.

Looks like someone else was using his on low and that’s an amperage they can handle, at least for his particular heater; I’d be careful though. I think most space heaters pull more than 900W on low, which is what his did. They also pull a bit more amperage when they’re starting up than normal operation.

6 Likes

Those heaters get hot. I’m glad you got it. Mine is 1500w I run it at 400w. It is still a heater. I like the oil ones better.

3 Likes

2 Likes

It was plugged into a gfci

5 Likes

CRIKEY MATE
That’s just crazy …Glad it ended the way it did.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that, you reminded me I haven’t checked my electrical connections in a little while.
The failure started in the translucent splitter, the contacts heat up and then the contacts start to lose their ‘spring’ degrading that connection and causing it heat up further.
Slowly at first and then progressing to thermal runaway at the end.
I use those yellow Hubble connectors for my high current connections.

Cheers
G

9 Likes

Damn dude now you got me worried, I have an oil heater plugged into an inkbird in my veg tent, keep it running at half capacity but maybe I should turn it to low

2 Likes

You also have to watch for voltage drop on long extension cords, that can cause things to over heat. I am atm looking to run some wire to my workshop 50m from the panel in the house. Just to compensate for the voltage drop I am going to have to go from what I was hoping to use 3/10 wire, to a 3/8 wire to stop it overheating if I want a minimum of 30 amps at that distance.

I have had the same thing happen on a short extension cord, in my grow tent from a poor connection, it doesn’t short out, so the gfci doesn’t kick in, it just heats up where the current is arching across the gap between the connector, slowly melting the plastic surrounding the connectors. You can see where it was arching on the male plug where there is metal missing.

I am glad you found it in time, Happy new year man.

6 Likes

New year and a few more stickers. I think I see a @ReikoX sticker on there :wink:

I swear that they make me a better skier. 90%attitude 10%skill :laughing::laughing::laughing:

11 Likes

Fuck that’s sketchy. I also run my heater off an inkbird. Set on low (750w)…but damn I don’t like that at all

3 Likes

Yeah, there was no heat from my heater plug or the extension cord. It’s WAY more than enough cord. 30’ 10/3 on a GFCI it was the inkbird intsself that wasn’t happy. I had another controller heat up quite a bit using a different heater and ot was plugged right into the wall, no extension cord. Needless to say, all it well and I will not be using or endorsing inkbird, over safety reasons only.

4 Likes

Do you have an idea what you’re going to use instead? If not, when you figure it out I’d love to hear. I think I’m gonna start looking for something else as well

2 Likes