Johnnypotseed’s 3-ring circus - with autos, photos & sex…reversals, that is! (Part 1)

Ruderal traits are in almost every farmed population to some degree, early flowering quick finishing, early flowering normal length finishing etc. almost in a spectrum. So not really reliable in a commercial crop sense.

Edit: In the way we westerners think about farming.

1 Like

Actually, @GREANDAL … I know of quite a few commercial big time growers that are running Autos exclusively! The few that are doing the Autos in my area, tell me, its in the numbers. Run large enough amounts of plants, and even if 2 or 3 diff phenos, there’ll still be enough (of each) to sell to the dispos. If they get a smaller amount of one particular pheno, they just much it down into pre-rolls…

Or process it into concentrates/edibles

One most particularly comes to mind, that i know personally. They have over 10,000sq ft of hothouses with nothing but Autos.

The times, they are a changing. And as Autos become more comparable to photos in THC, etc, there’ll be even more. Of that I’m sure

6 Likes

This is another fun example of how us Slav’s are slowly taking over :laughing:

2 Likes

I think they got a shaky start years ago and some people just wrote them off completely. Also some breeders (Subcool for sure) was dead set against feminized seeds and only thought about doing some towards the end. There’s always going to be diehard “oldschool” growers who say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Add in that most beginners run autos because it’s easier some probably view them as Fischer Price Play seeds.

I was hesitant because I had heard yields were low, can’t train them, can’t transplant them, etc. I did all of that on my fist auto grow and pulled close to a pound. If that wouldn’t sell me on them what would? :laughing:

7 Likes

I am just musing aloud, I have only grown a dozen individuals. The biggest opposition I see to them comes from people that are seeing them come into widespread use in places like India and Columbia where they have sullied the gene pool or totally replaced the original strains. Can’t blame a farmer for wanting 2 or 3 crops a year.

1 Like

@Slick1 I’m of the same mind there with ya cuz… In the beginning Autos were a ‘novelty’ not worth bothering with. Thc was low, the plants genetics weren’t stabilized, etc etc I know I was one of those growers that said ‘Autos? Not in MY grow’!.. Now, I’m of a completely different mind! Bring em on, I say! lol Not to mention the ‘Super Autos’ they’re supposedly the equal of Photos…and as we all know by now, contrary to a lot of ‘what folks say’ …they CAN be trained etc. maybe not cloned (yet) but, still worth a damn good look into.

3 Likes

I’ve posted it plenty but this was my first auto. She left me nothing to complain about whatsoever.

I wasn’t seeing pictures like this connected to autos at all and it’s a shame.

9 Likes

On another note, lol i just got through partial gleaning of seeds in the 1 purple pheno Sour60,There’s a couple hundred at least. My plan is to try and isolate the purple phenome in a few generations, if possible.

13 Likes

And THAT my friend, is an awesome looking plant!! @Slick1

Your pic I mean lol

2 Likes

Thank you sir! I was pretty proud, specially since I did it “breaking all the rules”.

2 Likes

1 Like

Big fat ones!

This was my first auto. It was supposed to be a photo. It appears the whole order of seeds was random seed but I guess I got lucky. And I did exactly the wrong things @Slick1 did. I topped em, and I transplanted em. THEN they started to flower and I was like “uh…”. Disappointed at first, but pleasantly surprised at the end.

I would love to grow way more to solidify numbers, but I have noticed with the black cream autos its two phenos so far, donkey dicks, and more branching (but each plant yielding similar amounts). But there are a lot of unique characteristics that I can see repeatedly within them, that separate them from the other autos here. So relatively repeatable (I ordered seeds twice now, after liking them the first time).

I absolutely believe this… Not totally replacing photos, but augmenting them. There will be breeders in both camps for sure…

How many plants for that?

ColOmbia!!! (sorry, pops was from Colombia, and the U spelling of it is in washington d.c., but not the country.) On that, I can agree, that would almost make it an invasive, if it spread on its own. Understand the farmer, but the farmer also needs (and should want to) preserve heritage crops too (think heirloom veggie seeds). Sadly, many of those farmers are dirt poor, and feeding their families is more important to them. Having traveled in central america a bit, I can totally understand their lack of education on preservation, and desire to just produce as much as possible…

Great. Just great. now you’re giving me MORE stuff to learn?

See, thats a tool, for a targetted audience. But you can’t replace regular seeds, the ability to reverse and produce pollen wont pass on the male genome, and that would lead to a slow atrophy of available traits. Home growers who don’t want seed, commercial growers who dont have the time to hunt for males, perfect uses. But I’d love to pollenate / breed the autos, and so much is feminized, unless you make your own you’re shit outta luck at times. Regular photo pollen, sure, Doug’s PPP pollen is all over :slight_smile: I’d love to do that with regular auto pollen :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The one in the picture lol It was about a little more than 13 ounces (did say almost a pound).That pic is a bit deceiving, actually makes it look smaller. That thing was my first tentacle monster :laughing:

Edit- I’m pretty sure the training slowed her down a little bit as she adjusted, but that also meant more time in veg than usual so that probably made a difference.

1 Like

Impressive from a single lady! Now you have me curious to do a side x side comparison, training a known auto (BC for me) vs letting it grow. So far the BCs have been like clockwork, start shooting up at 3 1/2 weeks, nice buds forming by 5 weeks. Wonder if training / tieing down a sibling would extend veg. I have 3 little dark devil autos going that I just might have to train one, or two, and let one go naturally (the dark devil also comes from sweetseeds).

edit. what was the total time, seed to harvest on that plant?

2 Likes

Here’s google simple answer to that, @Nagel420

Super autoflowering cannabis or also called super autos are the newest development in autoflowering genetics. These auto plants are called super autos, because they can match the strength, potency and yield with regular cannabis Indica and sativa strains .

and another
Many autoflowers will be ready to harvest in less than 10 weeks from seed Dwarf varieties can have short stature while still giving decent yield. Conversely “super autos” can take over 100 days to mature and can reach over 6 feet tall.

3 Likes

:rofl: :+1:

Love it!!

Cheers
G

1 Like

Yeah super autos will start to flower without regard for length of day but take as long to finish as normal plants. That’s what I have experienced with the two in my yard anyway.

1 Like

I don’t remember the exact time but it definitely went longer than I would have expected. That’s why I think the training slowed it down a little.

8 Likes

I’d lean towards agreeing with ya on the training. Tangerine Dream autos went 126 days with the training

11 Likes