Jones Organic Outdoor Journal

Got a bit of a late start this year just started the germination process on the 27th and have a few sprouts showing 3 days later :slightly_smiling_face: the 6 that aren’t labeled are purple cookies from greenpoint seeds and the others are just some freebies I’ve collected over a few years. Currently they are under a 260 watt quantum board and light levels are reading roughly 400 micromoles at canopy level running 24 hours. They’re in sprout island seed starter mix and watered with freeze dried aloe and coconut powder along with root wise mycrobe complete. The heat mat is set at 74 degrees f but temperature and humidity are closer to 84 which I’m trying to bring that down a bit now. Also today I’ve added a cup of distillers yeast for added co2. First time making a journal and don’t have a ton of field experience.

EDIT: NOTE; I did soak seeds in the aloe, coconut, and myco mixture during the germination process for about 7 or 8 hours.

15 Likes

Looks like a good start! Keep us updated on everything. I’m sure they will mature just fine

Thanks @corey I’m giving these girls all my love this go around! Waiting on my vortex tea brewer and a couple yards of biochar mix from kis I’m going to grow the purple cookies in 65 gallon living soil fabric pots and I cannot wait to see what I can do! The other strains will be sold off just trying to get some cash back on the overstock I’ve gotten :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Couple of the girls are looking a little yellow. I measured the light again and adjusted it to 360 micromoles.

6 Likes

Girls seem to be a little greener this morning must’ve been the light that was bugging them being to close.

4 Likes

Started germinating some more girls last night half the freebies and one of the purple cookies have shown no sign of life :slightly_frowning_face: I know I’m rushing it a bit but I don’t want any slow growing girls this time around. Started 2 critical orange punch, 3 original amnesia, 3 cheese from seedsman, and 3 godberry. Anybody else use those little 6 holder single cell plastic trays? Not a fan starting these ones directly into the solo cups with a 1/4" hole drilled through the bottom. Those little ones are a pain to try and transplant I had a 3 inch taproot poking through the bottom after 4 days and man those were a pain.

5 Likes

After some transplant stress and now some waterlog issues with the solo cups I’m having slow growth and plants turning yellowish. I placed a fan on them to hopefully help dry the soil a bit. Thinking I should give jiffy pots another try or some sorta alternative such as fertil pots?

2 Likes

I think I was giving these young girls to much light using the quantum boards I removed the propagation lid and the light intensity was a bit stronger and I didn’t adjust the light to accommodate the difference and after the overwatering and transplanting from those damned 6 cell trays (never again) i think it’s to much light these girl’s are having a rough start so I adjusted the light further back to 340 to 360 micromoles across the canopy so I’ll see what that does in a week hopefully get these girls into there 65 gallon forever homes within the week weather permitting.

3 Likes

65 gallons gonna be some monsters

1 Like

Looks like your aware of the nutrient burn and to much light problem, best of Irish luck to you for a great grow.

1 Like

Is that what’s going on the edges of the leaf? I haven’t fed them anything besides coconut water and aloe water and they’re in the sprout island mix from coast of maine? You think I should just give them plain water for a couple weeks? Got my compost tea brewer today!! Any of you organic guys ph your water? I’ve not even considered checking it because I’ve always read the soil will buffer it but tads podcast was saying check you’re ph thats getting put in it makes a big difference apparently. I know you guys don’t want to talk about the basic bullshit so I won’t ask much but any advice is golden :call_me_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Looks like nute burn but I’m not absolutely sure. It is looking pretty dry. I would give them a real good drink of plain water with a little flush…guite a bit of flush actually. I’ve never used that soil so I can’t comment on that. Is your water tap or well? I’m guessing you have a soil issue. Forget all the fancy special water the first couple weeks. The soil should have everything they need if it’s any good at all

3 Likes

That mix has " blended sphagnum peat moss, perlite, kelp meal, worm castings and well-aged compost", seems a lot if you are also adding more things to water, I would slow down with the feed. Have you got an EC meter? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I gave them some water after the picture I wanted to let it dry a day since they were overwatered seems like that soil has a high water retention and I way over did it. It’s well water running through a waterdrop ro system. Also got my fertil pots in today so that should eliminate overwatering issues for future startups and no transplant shock so I’m trying to learn and fix these issues thanks for the feedback

1 Like

No ec meter the aloe and coconut both say you can use it as a seed soaking and veg and flower so I assumed it was okay just to feed from the start instructions weren’t clear and I have such a brown thumb :sweat_smile: I refuse to give up so I’m taking notes this time and have a small 3x3 I’m going to run autos for extra consistant practice as well.

2 Likes

Yeap, the practice makes the master teacher|nullxnull , maybe you can use them in neutral soils, not prefertilized. You should buy an EC meter if you want to avoid nutrient burns. Autos are low feeders, here you will find more info … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I really should’ve got the mephisto seeds I’ve heard nothing but great things about these guys I’m starting with orange sherbert auto from fastbuds I had this stuff my old dude grew it tasted like pure oranges :tangerine: had to of been some of the terpiest bud I’ve ever had and ever since I’ve been chasing that dragon for just one more taste :drooling_face: also I was always under the impression auto’s were heavy feeders? Guess I’ll need to look into that some more.

2 Likes

They will need nutes later, in the beginning… it just take time. Your doing the right thing by not giving up, great job! Keep on OverGrowin.

2 Likes

Hope it is coming out of it. The soil looked pretty dry for a seedling is why I said that but overwatering looks about like that also, hardly any roots and j just a sick plant. I would repot and water them in with straight water. That soil sounds like it should work just fine

1 Like

Got my spot setup put in the back (I’ve adjusted the fence to be more straight since this pic [thanks OCD]) I just need to get the 400 gallons of dirt back there the gator will help but I was waiting on this Mycorrhizal from Wallace he grows super huge pumpkins so I wanted to get his mix in my batch before they’re in the final pots since I’ll be leaving there for a couple years should be here by next week some time. More pics after the transfer :grin::call_me_hand:t2:

2 Likes