Flowering questions

Hello!
So, my first actual run…beginning to end…and my plants are budding very nicely.
As they were starting their flowering cycle, I went thru and trimmed a lot of leaves so I could get more light to the lower branches and whatnot. I also changed my nutrients…had been using schultz 10-15-10 for Veg and switched to Morbloom 0-10-10 for flower.
I notice, as the flowering has progressed, that my remaining leaves are dying off, turning brown. I was a bit concerned and switched to plain water, just to see if this was maybe too much nutrient…no change.
Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
My buds all look good.

Thanks

4 Likes

Do you have a photo. If you were at the end of flowering I would say normal. As you are at the begging, there would need to be more info to tell.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

photos help and how far along you are, you still need nitrogen in flower though that morbloom doesn’t have any so consider maybe going back and using the schultz and you can play with adding the more bloom to supplement

4 Likes

This was earlier on…
Most all the leaves are brown and dead now. Somehow I got the idea they needed no nitrogen during flowering…
Will supplement with the morbloom next time…or maybe just add some K to my Schultz regimen.

3 Likes

Just add a little veg nutrients in with the bloom. Most of the yellow leafs will likely green up a little.
Plants need constant nitrogen but a lot less in flower.

8 Likes

10/15/10 for veg and first two weeks after flip stretch
W3 50/50 , 10/15/10 and 0/10/10 is like a 1/3/2
Then w5 , up Rez ec/ppm with added 0/10/10 , so similar to 1/4/3 or 1/5/4 ish

Then finish up with reduced ec/ppm
Or plain tap , or 1/2/6 at reduced ec/ppm , how ever you like to do it : )

I think jacks do a 1/2/5 , might be worth a buy

8 Likes

Nitrogen deficiency normally starts in the lower leaves, I see them green in the pic hum|nullxnull, this looks to me as a Calcium deficiency … beer3|nullxnull

11 Likes

I also don’t defoliate , I keep them lower leafs as a bank of n etc for the rest of flower , so plant can dip into them reserves if needed : )

8 Likes

Probably def in both : )

2 Likes

Test the runoff water of your plants for ppms and pH and go from there. But like the others said she looks under fed.

4 Likes

Most folks gradually increase P-K and decrease N at beginning of flower…but the plants need a dose or two of grow nutes about 1/12-2/3 the way into flower or they get a lot of leaf die-off… and a lot of the micro-nutes (calcium/Boron etc…) are higher in many veg nutes-- check your label… a dose of Super cal-mag or Micro-boost wouldn’t hurt!
And also- check the bottom of your planters!
Slight possibility that the roots could be overgrown and getting locked-up??
Good luck!

6 Likes

I totally agree with our friend @George

I would check ph it’s most likely off

And our friend @ifish will never steer you wrong.
I do the same combo as fish suggested it’s worth the try

Also I use jacks 10/30/20 in weeks 3throu 5

Jacks has some.great fertilizer and it’s cheap

5 Likes

You guys are awesome!!
I am a total rookie, so next grow will be a ton better. I will try to correct what I can here, but I think I am close to harvest time…trichomes are starting to look a bit cloudy. My plants are definitely in too small of containers…root bound to be sure!
I need to learn a lot more about nutrients.
Went thru quite the learning curve during veg…and my veg period was super long as a result! Getting better all the time :+1:

6 Likes

Once you finish your grow , and observe what you did , you’ll make changes ,just not all at once !

Most people go wrong when they change too much at once

Keep it simple ,these things we do take time to figure out

Paps

4 Likes

What was your veg learning curve , watering ?

You done well for first grow , you’ll be smokin bud for sure , now
you gotta master the dry and then cure : )

lots of good replies above. when the plant does not have enough nutes to support the new growth on the plant it will consume the nutes form itself [usually the fan leafs] and move it to the new growth where it is needed most.the growing tips and buds. nitrogen is very mobile in plants. you will just need to make sure the plants has the food/s to prevent this from happening as it transitions to flower. this also varies between different strains but always starts at the bottom of the plant and works its way up the plant. if you catch this soon enough you can sometimes correct it. to help prevent this a good top dress of amendments at the flip will help with this. i use a good couple of inches of bumper crop that is made by coast of maine products. there is also another maker [master nursery] of the bumper crop. coast of maine is under license to make this product which is a far better product than the master nursery one. it will say coast of maine product on back of bag. https://coastofmaine.com/product/bumpercrop/ enjoy you grow.

5 Likes

Oh man…it was like the old films of pre-wright brothers flight attempts! Crazy flapping contraptions going over a cliff…
I overwatered, underfed, underwatered, cooked a few seedlings under the wrong light…basically made every mistake possible…but I learned from each one.
My veg cycle was about 8 or 9 months…had to keep nursing my plants back to health.
Needless to say, I am still learning! Which is a good thing :grin::+1:
Just bought some cal mag today…I think that and some more nitrogen will help.

1 Like

And apparently today is harvest day!! :flushed:
Checked my trichomes and they are just starting to get amber…most have that milky look to them.
Here is one of my beautiful flowers…

6 Likes

Hopefully you can plan your chop time to happen prior to lights on. Trichomes repair themselves in dark cycle from degradation during the heat and light intensity.

3 Likes

sounds like they are running out of nitro from what you describe