JustANobody's Neck Beard Basement Grow

How do you store the pollen?

6 Likes

Well, now it’s in a plastic baggie in a random drawer of my fridge, I think it might be for cold cuts or something… no humidity control, it’s not the crisper bin. As far as drying it, I just put it in a tupperware container, tossed a few silica packs in there and closed the top for a week or so. It seems to have worked. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Thanks for the information

6 Likes

I bought a pollen sifter box few years ago off Amazon. Works pretty good. Gets all the debris out and a silica pack in the bottom dries the pollen nice. This one I bought, is no longer available, but gives ya an idea :v: I have an older version, came with scraper card and have not had any glue or splinter issue like in the reviews
https://a.co/d/8SiHhqO

3 Likes

Oh I had something like thst for making kief. Same thing? I got a trim bin to help make hash from the seed runs, wonder if that would also work.

@Dirt_Wizard do you have something up your sleeves for this? You always have good info for these types of things.

4 Likes

Some info in this thread. Not the same one I was remembering tho.

5 Likes

Thanks dude

1 Like

Yep Ive used it for kief as well. I Just take it outside and blow it out good after each use , mist some rubbing alcohol on it then blow out again to keep clean and unwanted old pollen neutralized

4 Likes

Pollen if dry and put in the freezer can last 10 years , probably longer but I’ve used 9/10 year old pollen a few times and it worked perfectly.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the information.

2 Likes

Dude that’s wild.

2 Likes

cut if its well rooted and very clean.

peace …

2 Likes

years if worked correctly, and also some pollen no matter how well you work it will not stay viable very long.

i have had 6 year old pollen give me seeds while 6 months old pollen not.

peace …

4 Likes

Good to know. I don’t have any yet, but I’ve got some ideas on crosses and don’t know what I don’t know when it comes to breeding.

1 Like

The above advice is good, just gather your pollen and place it in a sealed container with a goodly amount of desiccant, silica is best because it’ll pull more moisture than beans or rice but those work too if oven dried and used in large amounts. I took my Vortex pollen, put it in a open 1/2pt wide mouth jar and then placed that on top of a pound of oven dried beans inside a big old peanut butter jar, with a hygrometer in there. Stuck it in a cabinet in a cool corner of the basement, seems good in there at 30%RH or so, silica would have brought that down even lower AFAIK. There are even special types of silica beads (anhydrous?) that dry down lower for this sort of thing but I didn’t buy those just the normal cheap food grade ones.

3 Likes

@JustANobody I’m always down to go half with people for strains just lmk whatcha think and we can work out a way to get funds to one or another for the purchase to go thru. I don’t mind who buys it or who it gets shipped to originally as im getting a cut in the end

2 Likes

Sounds like @BIGJ is taking the plunge!

There ya go! I had a godfather OG pheno once that rieked of dry fruity pebble cereal

2 Likes

These are the ones I got, good company, lots of options since this is all they do. I got the reusable ones with no indicator additives so that I could use them for preserving food as well:

2 Likes

Dude that Halle Berry looks amazing! :beers:

2 Likes