Kashmir Crowdsource Testing

Yeah, they don’t mind the nutes. I let mine go a few weeks without feeding when it was so hot, and they lost color pretty good. I trimmed out the old stuff and they are fed and all greened up again.

I have one male that is flowering already, so I gotta get him into a collection place. Another one went earlier than that so I cut it.

Your’s is the third run with a Variegated pheno, including me. One of my females is that way. I wish we could breed a pheno with it in it. It’s obviously in this line of seeds. That would be another good way to make a weed plant inconspicuous, like Freakshow and ABC. :wink:

10 Likes

I have a plant that did the same thing with half of the leaf yellow, and half of it green. Just one bit bbn if a branch. Colors are split along the leaf stem. It would make a pretty Landscaping plant if the trait could be fixed

5 Likes

ha, yeah, I just edited my post to say that, lol. It would make a bad ass shrub of say 5 to 7 feet. You could see it from the road and it would look beautiful.

Ok, “REAL BREEDERS” can you make it happen by Christmas?

3 Likes

14 Likes

Here’s my octopus as of yesterday. She’s supercropped hence the heavy pruning.

Unfortunately, the caterpillars love her

13 Likes

Variegated plants would be really tricky on cannabis, especially since they are annuals. To keep a plant variegated you must remove all regular leaves or they eventually take over and revert the leaves to normal green.

7 Likes

I’m really excited to get my AK into soil! Probably plating seeds tonight.

As far as potency - I’m blessed to live in SoCal, a mile or two from a dozen dispensaries.
IMHO, the really high thc strains are great. They work well, BUT - as others have pointed out - tend to be one-dimensional, Budweiser, if you will. (maybe one reason people doubt the diff. between strains…)
I bought a novelty strain called Velvet Purps - a whopping 15% — VERY strong, tart grape profile, Neon pink from leaf to stem. Got us higher than two kites!

I haven’t had my grows tested yet, I wonder where I’d be? IMO (and friends who come to me), my grow is stonier than most of what I get from the dispo - is it Potency? Freshness? Cannabinoids? I dunno.

I DO know that my jars have the FUNK - a strong Kush scent profile.
Something I RARELY get from dispo weed.

7 Likes

Disclaimer; If you’ll all humor me for a moment while I expound on a bit of a conspiracy theory. I don’t have the evidence necessary to claim anything with surety. Plus poor wording, hyperbole, and general ignorance on the matter may make parts of this thesis easy to refute.

With that said. I believe almost all cases of variegation in cannabis is the result of a virus, that can stowaway inside of seeds produced while the mother is infected. I think the variegation we’ve been seeing here is, too, but the problem with that theory is the only symptom I’ve seen is the variegation. Yields are unaffected, trichome density unaffected, essential oil and cannabinoid production unaffected, on 100% of the plants I’ve seen this variegation on.

So if the variegation is the only symptom, why do I think it’s a virus?

I’ve seen it jump. This is two pictures of the same bud on a chocolate rain — right now — with no obvious maladies, and a normal amount of trichomes on a leaf that’s showing the same mottling.

Hell, I think she might be frostier than the first time I ran this cut.

So if it doesn’t seem to be a problem; why am I stressing it? If you’re familiar with Tulip Breaking Virus, it produced the most valuable tulips of all time.

Their desirability helped the virus spread. Knowing about the tulips might be biasing my perspective, tho. Like a first-year psychology student pathologizing all the people they talk to.

Personally. The variegation worries me. I looked into papers on the sanitization of mosaic viruses and found a product called zerotol had successfully worked at inhibiting the spread, and bonus points, they have a cannabis specific version comprised of 5.3% h2o2 and 1.3% peracetic acid. Take it a step further and it’s 6% h2o2 and .6% acetic acid.
So in a liter jar, put;
120ml plain old 5% vinegar.
880ml plain old 3% hydrogen peroxide.

For sanitizing tools; dilute 10x (100ml / liter)
For curative IPM; dilute 30x (30ml / liter)
For preventative IPM; dilute 40x (20-25ml / liter)

But at the end of the day. I genuinely don’t know if it’s all in my head. @Upstate especially has such a clean beautiful leaf, that I want to believe it’s a natural variegation. It’s easy to think badly about a less than perfect leaf showing a variegation, but that one is immaculate.

22 Likes

Interesting theory- Mine doesn’t have it. May be luck, but would the virus cause the mutants Ive seen in this strain as well?

2 Likes

That’s interesting and I would be the last to know this. I just thought it was a cool fluke of nature. But, your theory seems to make a lot of sense. I actually thought I saw the variegation showing up in another leaf on another strain very close by today, and I thought to myself, how odd. How big of a coincidence is that? I’ll keep you informed. I need to read more. peace

5 Likes

I still like the dream of a fully variegated canna plant that you could plant as a shrub, lol.

6 Likes

Variegated freak show plant would be a hit with everyone.

4 Likes

I’m not sure, I think that was just a finicky plant. They like to act out for attention sometimes. lmfao.

There’s only two symptoms that I know for a fact about this. If we look back at the example lampchoppd showed us, that little spot of damaged cuticle is the first thing I noticed with this virus, way back, and I thought it was damage from an IPM spray that wasn’t dilute enough.
That leaf that upstate posted bugs me out, tho, because it looks just like a variegation you would see in a store. There’s absolutely no damage or distortion in that leaf! If they all looked like that I would never have guessed there was a problem. Other than those two symptoms, I haven’t seen any change in any plants to pick them out of a lineup.

And to be fair, there are lots of pathogens that can live in a host but can’t survive off of that organism. If you’ve ever watched “monsters inside me” those are the worms that end up inside your eyes or brain, because they’re not meant to be inside humans, and they’re searching for something they can digest. Or an ichneumon wasp, who lays eggs inside a tree, but which doesn’t actually parasitize the tree.

So I may very well be making much to do about no thing, but now that I seen it on the chocolate rain, it does indeed jump between plants. The question still up in the air is just whether it’s deleterious to cannabis.

Even the variegation you see in a store is caused by some break in a chromosome if I remember correctly. That’s why they spontaneously revert to normal growth if you let em. It’s only in cannabis that we don’t talk about viruses — in the rest of the plant world they’re ubiquitous.

My fucking problem is the cannabis growers who know these problems exist and don’t speak about them. They’re the same type of people who complain about “cancel culture” as if consequences for your actions are a new thing. I know exactly where this virus came from, I can point to other members who have the exact same symptoms from the exact same lines, from the exact same source;
But pointing fingers doesn’t help us.
It’s not just the behavior of that one person who got us here; it’s the fear they had of being stigmatized. I understand that’s the natural response — but fuck that scaredy cat shit. It’s been a couple days now since I seen it jump to the chocolate rain, and it’s been eating at me ever since. I can’t imagine lying to you all, pretending that I think it’s just a nutrient deficiency, or a quirk in the genetics, in the hopes of never being found out.

So since the affected plants aren’t really stressing, I am not really freaking out. Like I said, pathogens are everywhere in the rest of the gardening community, it’s been naive of cannabis growers to think we’re special. It’s just another thing we need to be vigilant against, and another reason to keep a tight IPM.

14 Likes

Yeah, this is exactly what I had been asking of people in the past; sending out unsolicited PMs asking people to update me if they see it jump between plants. Lmfao.

Yo, it really is like “The Thing.”

Or maybe ”Invasion of the Body Snatchers” would be a more apt analogy.

8 Likes

Any thoughts on how to decontaminate the growing environment? Or is it a plant to plant pathogen?

Cheers
G

6 Likes

I’ll keep an eye on the now, for sure. Mine sort of faded out during the period that I didn’t feed them. Once they started losing the chlorophyl and getting yellow it sort of died back and was not as visible anymore. That was also a red flag I guess. I was wondering why it wouldn’t be coming back in the new growth. You have me interested now. I’ll keep notes on them by plant # to see if anything weird is going on.

3 Likes

I had been thinking the same thing, probably a virus. But perhaps every plant out there with similar leaves has a virus. Of course there’s something wrong in the situation because a yellow leaf contains no chlorophyll, so necessary for healthy plant growth in most instances. Most instances… there are always those few plants that despite something unhealthy living within them perform well anyway, and humans end up selecting for them because they like the way they look. If I were to make seeds with such a plant I would definitely keep them separate.
The plant has been in close proximity with others. So far it’s just a couple leaves on the one and it was only for a short amount of time that the plant produced any at all, quickly reverting to normal growth. All other plants are fine. I appreciate your honesty on the matter. Its ok to breed for this trait, but separation is desireable if doing so. Keeping it in a separate plant line if you breed with it would be as smart thing to do.

Is that what that is? I thought it was a fertilizer sensitive plant. I’ll try epsom salt on it. I just picked some up last weekend.

5 Likes

I just looked at mine and I don’t think I’m seeing any variegation moving to the other two. It was some bug damage. Also, now that they are growing back out after I cut out all of the old stuff and fed them good, the variegation is coming back out on the one plant. It seems to be about the same amount; maybe 15% of leaves. maybe 20. I’ll keep an eye on them.

3 Likes

The peracetic acid was 100% effective at stopping the spread in a couple studies. Its just hydrogen peroxide pumped up with acetic acid. If you’ve ever heard of piranha solution, its the same idea on a much safer scale.

They use it to sanitize medical equipment. The name brand, zerotol, is dumb expensive, but from everything I can tell its not a different product than what you can assemble at home. Its all about making sure the concentration is correct. The end of my post showed my math.

6 Likes

So I realize this virus can be a problem when breeding. I don’t know much about it, but will it live in the soil and mess with future plants or is it just spread from seed and plant to plant? I’m Assuming once you finish a grow it’s gone with the plant?

2 Likes