Kashmir Crowdsource Testing

Got 6 out of 10 I transplanted into beer cups today . Originally had 8 up but 2 damped off still waiting to see if the last 2 come up .

4 Likes

That looks about right as far as I can tell. They may get that twisty leaf that seems to be in Afghans and maybe that region.

Have you fed them anything yet? Maybe they could use a low dose of a mild fert. I use a liquid fish hydrolysate from Roots Organics called Surge. It’s 2-2-0.5. It’s marine proteins plus Kelp, Yucca, Langbeinite, and Leonardite (humic acid). Works well with seedlings. I usually dilute it first time just to be sure not to get it too hot. But, it’s pretty mild to begin with.

3 Likes

Like @GMan says, seems to be an Afghan thing. Do you have any kind of mycorrhizae in the soil? Seems like when the connection is made between the roots and the fungus the leaves will do that as well

5 Likes

@GMan yeah, they had a kelp feed last week. It’s right about time for another.

@Upstate yes, they are still in starter mix that has mycorrhizae, they have also been innoculated with Mammoth P.

Good to know on the weird curly leaves. Curious to see if K2 leaves start doing it. Do they grow out of it?

5 Likes

I’ve been putting seeds in a vice grip then spinning the little wheel while closed to get them to crack nice.

4 Likes

Yeah they mostly do. It’s just the early fan leaves really. You’re probably fine. I’ll try and get a pick of my seedlings. It depends on my iPhony and how it feels today… arrgghh… mine are about the same as yours or a tad bigger.

3 Likes

Seems like that would work well. I think the seed cracker they are selling is just a small vise. Do you use a small pair of tweezers to hold the seed in place until you get it clamp?

2 Likes

The USPS seed cracker failed? Dang it. :rofl:

4 Likes

This is very interesting. Are any still available or do you have enough people testing already?

1 Like

There was a mailman in a small town around here that I used one time. He stamped that envelope like he knew there were seeds of the devil’s lettuce inside LOL!

4 Likes

There’s little rigid teeth on the vice grips, I rest it in there with the vice grip already closed and just tighten the wheel on the back of the handle. It’s a medium pair of vice grips.

3 Likes

I’ve been practicing with bag seed. Just need to try a germ test.

2 Likes

Awesome idea! I was picturing a bench vise for some reason. Channel locks or actual vice grips would work really good you’re right. Did you wrap it in tape or anything like that or you just let the teeth dig in? I might have to stop and get a new Mini pair on my way home. Seed cracking size LOL

4 Likes

I just tossed it in as is. Deff need to do a germ test though before I use it on good beans.

2 Likes

I’m going to try it in a couple minutes( long nose vice grips)

1 Like

Right? One of the males I had was the same. Smelled more than any other plant I’ve grown. It was almost offensive!

2 Likes

Hahahah. He’s just trying to help. :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s very rare that I would pull a male aside this early for breeding. This one’s a no-brainer. I’ll have to make a few seeds with him.
Offensive smells are encouraged lol

3 Likes

Long nose vise grips cracked a seed so easy. I already put it in a paper towel…we’ll have to see if it lives. I was shocked how easy it was. If this works, I can’t believe it isn’t common knowledge.

I think this will work great. Thanks @Chronickyle.

12 Likes

No worries man! It’s surprising how well it works.

6 Likes