Keeping Sativas small with Upstate

Lots of that going around these days😁. Looking forward to bringing some purebreds back into the equation.

6 Likes

Is there any recommend for or against training for long flower? Like is manifolding or scrog recommended or would it just not quite work right? I’ve noticed from pics most look like topped 1 or 2 times and maybe a little lst. Is this a more effective way to go with long flowers say instead of massive cola indicas?

2 Likes

I train as needed. If I have the room, I prefer folding/ training…
Basically, in order of effectiveness…for height control from least to most effective
1)pinching just the main tip
2)pinching the tip and folding the top
3)Topping several inches, and folding the top half of the plant over at 90 degrees
4)Topping when flowers are beginning to form.
5)" making a rainbow" out of the plant, which involves Topping, and then tying the remaining top as close as possible to the floor.
Here’s a good comparison of Lambsbread, with one of the four plants having its’ top pinched when flowering commenced.( #4)
This plant is older than the bigger plants next to and surrounding it

Back left corner. Hard to tell from the picture, but the plants in front are the same size as the tall one back right

10 Likes

I’ve been utilizing the tip pinching method successfully for the past week, though I learned about it from @HolyAngel in her thread. I’ll definitely be using some of the others to help control hight! Thanks again for the info!

4 Likes

38.5 inches in a 1/4 gallon fabric pot :wink:

Neville’s Haze x C5Haze x Mango Haze IBL F2

33 Likes

Wow, and Leaning into the corner, she’s Beautiful

1 Like

Impressive! I generally can’t keep anything happy in a container smaller than 2 gallons, and even then, may have issues with lack of food. Nice job!

7 Likes

That’s a flood table right? Bag only has to hold the roots.

And it looks wonderful!

4 Likes

Ok so not a top just pinch and whatever comes with it? Do you pinch top of each “top” or just if you don’t top? If that makes sense.

2 Likes

Start on a light schedule of 11/13 or even 10/14 if it’s one of them 15+ week sativas.
I Grew out a red Thai x Assam HP and it wouldn’t flower on 12/12 so I went to 10/14 and it started. But by then it was already taller than everything else in the tent so I had to bend her over(keep it clean everyone lol) to manage height so lights could be at a level good for all the other plants. Last time I do that, I won’t mix pure sativas in a grow. Pure sativas deserve their own tent or grow room in my humble opinion.

6 Likes

Impressive! Them sativas will still blow up despite their pot size. What was your light schedule from start to finish?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a flood table so I’m technically cheating :sweat_smile:

24/0 from seed until flower and then 11on/13off.

12 Likes

The more you pinch off, the more the lower branches grow. Removing leaves from the main stem will trigger those branches from those nodes to grow faster, too. So you can actually pick which branches you want to come in stronger than the others. Let’s say you have 2 branches opposite each other and one of them is short and 1 of them is long. Pick the fan leaf off where the short branch meets the main stem, and you can even it out, structurally.
As far as pinching… I take the tiniest little bit that I can take If i’m just looking to make the plant branch out more. If I really need to make changes in structure, I might cut off four inches or so…several nodes…or more. Auxins, which are growth hormones, have their highest concentration in the tips of upper shoots. When you pinch these shoots off, the plant moves these auxins lower down the plant, triggering the lower branches to grow. The more you pinch the more you are changing the location of these growth hormones. I hope that makes sense.
I typically just top at the tip of the main stem, because I don’t have the width for plants to grow wider. There’s always exceptions.

10 Likes

Yes that does make sense. You explained that very well in way I can picture it in my head. Thanks

1 Like

About a year ago I was gifted single fem seeds of several Ace Seeds strains from a friend of mine who knew I was wanting to experiment / play around with some quality Sativas. The two that caught my eye were Killer A5 Haze and Guawi. Doing some reading I discovered this about the Guawi.

Guawi Feminized

STRAWBERRY, PEACH & INCENSE, WITH EPIC, LONG-LASTING, PSYCHEDELIC & GIGGLY EFFECTS

And the Killer A5 Haze did not appear to be a slouch either.

Killer A5 Haze Feminized

THE MYTHICAL A5 HAZE MEETS OUR MALAWI KILLER TO CREATE OUR MOST POWERFUL, TRIPPY AND NARCOTIC HYBRID

I was successful getting both one of seeds to sprout and grew them for about 3 weeks, up-potted them into 3 gallon plastic pots and flipped them. I had been treating the Killer A5 Haze with colloidal silver for about 10 days prior to flipping. Anyway, I ended up pollinating a few buds on the Guawi plant with the KA5 pollen and came away with about 100 seeds. In the near future I want to run four Sativas together in my 4x4 flowering tent and see what kind of a mess I can get into.

11 Likes

Have you seen the zameldica @BigMike55 is growing? He’s got another one but……It’s been a looong time flowering

4 Likes

I have not seen his Zemaldelica yet. If his is from Ace it says on the site to expect an 11-14 week flowering cycle. I have the Zemaldelica you sent me which is on my list of possibilities. Something I’m taking into account is flowering time, trying to find four strains that will tentatively finish flowering within a week or two of each other so I’m not tying up the flowering tent for a single plant. I don’t like to make that a criteria but with just the one flowering tent I have to consider everything.

4 Likes

Same zameldica that I sent you

1 Like

You must be referring to that god forsaken Sheelavathi flower, lol.

2 Likes

Good things come to he who waits😁

3 Likes