Kosher Tangie Kush Grow

So here goes…

Since building my growing closet at the beginning this year and my first attempt at a scrog in the closet that grow is nearing it’s end.
The girls still have about 2-3 weeks left before harvest. After a bad year last year i’ve totally gotten back into the groove of growing this year. And since i still had the tent up in the room next to the closet grow and an LED hanging around i decided to start my next grow already.

I figured the pros are some extra time saved in the new grow, and it’ll keep me busy and away from messing around too much with my flowering girls. The anticipation of a harvest sometimes makes me stupid.

Bought 9 kosher tangie kush beans from Amsterdam Genetics a few weeks ago.
Ps: from belgium so metrics. Sorry

So to start them off i’m using:
Secret jardin Lodge 90 tent (0.6x0.6m)
Viparspectra V450 LED (only VEG-switch on)
Simple garden store soil for seedlings & cuttings (with added perlite)
Bio-degradable cups
Tap-water, ph’d down from 8.2 to 6.5

Later on they’ll be moving to the closet:
Growroom 0.95m x 0.85m, slanted roof at the lowest 1m35 and highest 2m10
Lumatek dimmable ballast 600w (dimmable to 400 and 250w)
Using fabric grow bags, but i still need to decide on the size will probably use ±18l
Lumatec dual spectrum 600w bulb
Cli-mate mini humi for environmental control
Softbox outtake fan 500m3
Other stuff (carbon filter, mini fans…)

Planning on topping them very early and making a 4-way split.
Will be using soil and feeding schedule from a dutch grower named Sannie for the grow.
Great source for beginning organic growers.
Got some great quality beans as well.
https://www.sanniesshop.com/
My thanks to those people for helping me on my way when i started.
So here’s what i’ll be using:
Plagron light mix soil

Bought myself a timelapse cam too. Saw it online and couldn’t resist :rofl:
I"ll try making a weekly update/edit on here. I kept detailed logs of all my first grows but hit a bit of a low last year. I’m really feeling the joy again now and i’d like to try keeping a log again. I absolutely love to be able to look back at it afterwards and see a timelapse of my girl when smoking her :sweat_smile:

'Till next week guys.
I hope i can make it interesting.

Any tips or ideas, feedback etc are always welcomed

----‐-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WEEK 1:

Been spraying the soil with plain water daily.
Addeda little water to the tray every few days if it all looked too dry.

8/9 of the beans germinated.
Not a bad result. Nothing special to report so far.
Kiddies are looking healthy.

Just sprayed the soil so it’s looking moist.

This week the soil and some other stuff also got delivered.

2 bags of light mix, (1 royal mix for other purposes) and still have some soil left for my 8 new girls. But i’m still in doubt what size pots i should use.

My growroom is just under 1m x 1m
For 8 plants i could use fabric pots from 11, 15, 19 or 25l.

I’m thinking 25 could be a little much. Im leaning towards 15 or 19. I’m planning on a scrog(-ish) grow again and last time (still running) i’m using 25l for 4 plants. Now i have double that.
I’m also planning on putting the trellig quite low this time (let’s see if i can cut back a little on the time spent in the vegetative stage that way)

The timelapse cam is okay. Quality of the first try still needs to imprve. I still need to get a feel for the settings, distance to the plants etc. I also think the very close distance of the lamp to the plants and camera is screwing with my image quality.
But improvements shall be made :muscle:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhQFgPj6N3ifi4YanQqsl36HLu43Aw

See yall next week.
I’m homing to harvest my other grow then too but i fear i’ll still have to wait a week more.

--------‐–‐----------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEEK 2

I am going away for the weekend so i decided to repot my plants this week.
In the small biodegradable cups they dry out really fast so this will be the best way to keep them from drying out i thought.

Unfortunately for reasons unknown one of the babys died on me. Came back fromwork one day and all that was left was a shriveled up piece of disappointment.
Still have 7 left. Will probably use 6 in the scrog. Don’t know what i’ll do with the last one yet. Might try my luck at a bonsaï :rofl:

So the repotting:

I decided on the 15l bags.
Used a mixture of 75% plagron light mix, 25% royal mix.
Added my mycorizza and bacto, 3 buffertabs per pot? Some perfect start as a topfeed and some extra kelp-extract and micromixture.

Cut the bottom off the biodegradable cups and that was about it.
Ow i’m leaving for about 2 days. Lamps are still on 24/24. When i get back i’m switching them to 18/6.

WEEK 3

I emptied the closet this week.
Harvested my RQS Criticals, cleaned out the growroom and moved my new girls in there.

I’m still keeping the 7th (extra) plant just in case. I have a little deformities on my leaves with one of the others so i’d like a backup.

I noticed i was a little careless watering them this week. Some burnt spots on the leaves probably from water droplets laying on there. :roll_eyes:

Babies are growing up to 4 or 5 nodes so i cut them all down today (sunday) to leave only the bottom 2 nodes.
I might be a little early for some of them but i’m sure they’ll recover.

WEEK 4:

The young plants have started growing a lot faster by the end of this week.

I’ve run into some problems already though.
I might have overdone it putting such young plants under a 600w hps so soon.
I noticed some cupping of the leaves due to the heat.

Ofcourse while using lst to hold my topped girls down i managed to break off a branch. But the rest of the topping and training went fine.

The leaves henerally also look a weird rounded shape to me. I’m thinking that might still grow out of them though.

I have one plant where the leaves are worse than the rest: leathery en very wrinkled. No idea what this is though.
This is the same plant that had a branch break before, so i decided to top it again leaving me with 4 cola like the others, only it’s now got some catching up to do in size.

Here’s the runt:
i also took some pics of the cutting to show you what i mean by those weird leaves:

The other girls were very bushy.
I just pulled them open and down just a little more.
Most of the other cola are starting to cath up in height now.

The babyphase is now really over.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhQFgPj6N3ifi4t60_FK8LT7ugUnMQ

Some little worries about them up untill now.
I hung the lamp higher and will dim the ballast for the first few weeks in the next grow to counter the heat- and lightstress.
I’m keeping an eye on those weird looking leaves but as far as i van see they still look quite good besides that so i might just be overreacting. We’ll see how they fare in the next few weeks.
:vulcan_salute:

10 Likes

An afterthought:

I’m assuming my plants will need some time to adjust to the new environment when moved to the closet. I’ll probably try to match the timing with repotting them to the grow bags.

It’s my first time working with the biodegradable cups though. I’m going to have to check up on how to handle that exactly :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking of getting a time lapse camera as well. Which one did you get? I was going to get a Wyze

1 Like

Heard about the wyze before.
It’s probably better than the one i have but i was able to get this one pretty cheap so…

It’s running in the growroom now.
I’m hoping in a couple of days i’ll have some decent shots of my beans popping but for now it’s still just a waiting game

4 Likes

Edit: WEEK 1

• germination

Edit: week 2

-repotting

Edit: WEEK 3

• Move to the closet.
  • Topping to 2 nodes

Short update:

God dammit.
There’s always one… :roll_eyes:

At least the others weren’t harmed.

Bigger edit to follow at the end of the week.

2 Likes

Edit: WEEK 4

• some weird leaf issues
  • growth is starting to accelerate

WEEK 5

So another week passed.
I installed the trellis net, and figured a better way to place the camera. I got the hang of how to operate it by now so the next clips should provide better results.

The plants are starting to drink more too.
I’m having one that’s ahead of the others, 3 that are fairly similar, and 2 weird runts in the back. Those still have those weird deformed leaves. One of them is seriously lagging behind though.

The girls are very bushy. Nodes are spaced very close together. I hund the lamps a bittle higher just to give them some breathing room to avoid moisture builup anywhere. It also seemed a good idea with the trellis net.
At the very least hanging the lamps higher will help with the heat. I was thinking about dimming to 400w as an alternative but i don’t really know what will give me the best and most healthy results for the plants, and me the biggest amount of buds.

The trellis is in there 2 days or so now and like i planned has been put a lot closer to the top of the growbags.

I’m still curious what effect it will have in terms of speed to fill the net, size, etc compared to the previous grow where i had them higher up. I already can see that higher up gave me some more room to work underneath the net which might be more comfortable but thats just a minor thing for now.

Some of the growth is already touching the net. Soon i’ll be tucking and weaving like a madman i hope.
So far i’m not the biggest fan of the strain because of the 2 runts and some differences to what i’be been used to growing -but that might just be a feno-thing- but i’ve never been one to give up on a challenge.

Let’s go girlies. Make papa proud

1 Like

WEEK 6

Growing slowly.
Not incredibly optimistic about the grow so far.

Feeding schedule by sannie is working out fine. So far nothing to see when it comes to bad feeding or watering habits. I’ve been monitoring the ph of my water as well.

But 2 of them look very shrivled, and i’m still not sure how to best care for them with the trellis set at this height or with so many plants together.
The compactness of the plants makes them a little harder to control and i’m wondering where best to lead the cola in that small space.

I was thinking about topping eaxh of the main cola once more. I’m planning out where to lead them horizontally to fill the screen and topping them once more might help ease that process.
Also i should start thinking about what to do with all the small growth at the center of each plant.

On the other hand, i think for now i’ll let them go on for about another week. See what they do and adapt accordingly.
I shouldn’t bitch that much either. I knew it was an experiment with this grow and i wanted to see what happened. Plus the genetics were new to me as well so that too was an unknown. Shouldn’t be suprised you get surprises when playing around :sweat_smile:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhQFgPj6N3ifi41T5i8UPMJr_JH63g

1 Like

get some close ups, and regular lighting, it is very hard to see exactly what is going on from high up and all yella :wink:

i may not be able to help but someone else will.

You’re right man.
Sorry still very new at forums and taking pics and how to do it best :sweat_smile:

Here are some of the normal looking ones:

The weird ones are the two in the back on the sides

The leaves are very small, shrunken, wrinkled and have a waxy look to them. The plants grow, but leaves tend to stay small. The tips op the main cola seem to have a slightly more normal look but are still a long wayq from what i’m used to seeing.

I’m stil very early in the trellis net and am seriously considering tossing these 2 in the bin. Would be somewhat of a shame but then again i think 4 plants in this size box is better to work with. Then again… i don’t like throwing plants out.

Still. Now would pretty much be the time. But because of the better looking growth at the tips and the fact that they don’t differ that much in general size of the plant compared to the others still gives me some hope

2 Likes

Here some detailed pics of some cuttings from those 2 plants:

4 Likes

If those were my plants, I would do two things right away, 1-check for bugs. 2-do a soil slurry test.

If there are no bugs, the slurry will give you an insight into what is happening in the root zone.

Your soil looks dry, so it is a perfect time to grab a shot glass or two from the top 2 or 3 inches of your soil, just dig it in there and get a shot glass full, or two. then add an equal amount of water that is 7.0ph, and hopefully does not have high ppms.

mix that up with a spoon and test the ph and ppms after 1 minute, after 15 minutes, and again at 30 minutes. sometimes it changes over time sometimes not so much for me, but it doesnt hurt to grab multiple readings.

try that, and post your slurry results, could be a fun and productive exercise.

peace

Great tip.
I’ve actually never done this before so thanx for the step-by-step too.

After reading about it i once tried the method of testing the water going in and then testing the runoff. This seems like a much easier way tbh :sweat_smile:

I’ll definitely be trying this out this week and will be posting the results.

Thanks a bunch man
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

no sweat amigo. lots of peeps use the runoff test, i never have, since the slurry has not steered me wrong yet;)

WEEK 7

Saturday now and i decided to start some defoliation.
Took off the biggest leaves and small growth at the bottom. Also plucked away some extra foliage just to make sure everything would get enough light.

The leaves i took from the 2 weird plants were again a surprise. Some weird shapes in there to say the least.

Before defoliation:

And after a while:

I’ll be doing the slurrie test and some more tinkering tomorrow.

WEEK 7 part 2

Seems like defoliating en cutting away the lower growth did the plants some good. I like the overal look of the room a lot better now. Light is reaching everywhere, ventilation is improved, it’s now a lot easier to space them around in the trellis etc…

The weird looking ones continue to grow at pretty much the same rate of the other plants so i’m going to keep them in there.

One a side note:

I reorganised my working space a little today. My lodgetent was still standing around in the room nextdoor. I wanted to used that one as an extra growroom for a mother/breeding/clones/… whatever tickles my fancy at the moment.
But i wanted a little space to work as well so with a wooden plank and 2 small closets i made myself a little workspace next to it.

It’s not big but it’ll be a nice space to test my ph, tinker around with nutrients etc. Plus the closets give my a nice place to store my stuff.

Ordered some regular autoflower beans this weekend as well. I’d love to give my first seed run a try. I got 16 lemon haze autoflower beans from seedsman. I figure the first step will be putting a bunch in, selecting the strongest ones, manage the number of females and males etc…
Still reading up on a lot of this stuff but excited to try.

1 Like

WEEK 8

Halfway through the week. Tomorrow is xmas eve and were going away for a few days. When checking the plants i figured now might be a good time to make the switch. The net is filling up nicely and i fear if i leave them like this till sunday they may have gone a bit too much.
Going by feel more than by science mostly.

Did some last tucking and moving the cola around but this is pretty much how i’ll leave them for a couple days. Will give them a good drink just before i go but they should be fine.

20201223_225349

I still have the net i bought around. Not sure if i’ll beneeding it this time. Since i placed the first trellis a lot closer to the ground this time, i have a lot more thin looking stalks then when they had to reach higher up to reach the first net last time. I’m worried this will affect my yields this time but i’ll have to see what happens in the next few weeks witch stretching starting. Maybe they’ll still thicken some, but for now i feel like they might need some extra support from a 2nd trellis in the future.

We’ll see what happens. Will definitely be an interesting thing to consider when preparing for the next grow.

So finally, a first -very dodgy- compilation of the timelapse from planting to 7.5 weeks old. I’ve been messing around with the cam a bit since it was my first try. So next compilation will be a lot better quality i hope.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhQFgPj6N3ifi49NsKPG6R-P-IKDGQ

1 Like