Lactic acid bacteria serum! Aka LABS

I use coco so I thought top watering was the way to go. From what I read that drives oxygen into the root zone creating more growth. I have them on a flood tray so water is run to waste and there’s no water sitting around.

1 Like

@MidwestMover I’m not a coco guy so your probably right : )
Feeding from the bottom the media draws up the fluid and pushes air out , and then when pot starts to lighten it draws air back in , lots of air in pot as its not all forced out from the top watering and contents of pot stays neutral pressure as it draws up fluid where as top watering creates positive presure , more chance of overwatering , especially if top watering a good amount so it reaches bottom of pot ( all of pot saturated )

Just shootin the breeze as I say I’m not a coco guy so may not be good for that

Same as starting seeds , I think putting seeds in shot glass of water creates positive presure and seeds get waterlogged easily as they are forced to take on too much water , I think straight into towels is best as seed draws up what it needs ( negative presure ) , more control that way : )

Sorry bombed and rambling haha

6 Likes

Always down for that! I used to bottom water with my organics I was running before. Had to switch to coco just for space restraints and availability.

Wish I was bombed. Ran out of hash a while ago. Waiting for plants to finish!

What’s the nutrient calculator you use? Heard your the guy on figuring out nutrient profiles.

1 Like

@MidwestMover I’m not very good with computors and technology etc ( still living in the early nineties lol ) I trust all that side of things to my good friend @cdnBuddy : )

Space restraints and availability issues and you have a tray , sounds like you should be on the Mapito Machine , you’ll have buds coming out your ears lol : )

STB!

3 Likes

I do like how you do mapito. I still like feeling like I’m playing in the dirt. I also haven’t set up my auto watering yet so it may be harder than coco is. I definitely should have paid more attention to computers when I was in school but there’s still time to learn!

1 Like

@MidwestMover The hard part with coco is you never really know what’s in pot 100% because of coco cations ie absorbing n releasing k and at different rates etc etc I’m too much a control freak : )
I only see my girls every three days when I flood and drain the tray , thats it and that takes 15mins : )

1 Like

I haven’t gotten to scientific with it yet. But growth rates are good and it’s easy. I wouldn’t even know where to get mapito here or even how to ask for it. I should say it’s just a drip tray and only about 4cm deep, so hard to flood. I have a rinky dink setup hopefully just good enough to keep smell down and grow myself a few pounds a year to keep from having to buy it. It would be impossible for me to afford to buy weed from the street or a club.

1 Like

We are all in the same boat : )

Mapito is just Rockwool chunks and foam chunks ( buy once )

Plants do love that coco for sure but so do gnats , if they become a problem , think of a way to use the fabric in your setup as a barrier : )

1 Like

I also need the coco for my mushroom growing so it’s dual purpose. I’m thinking I can use the used stuff in my mushroom grows also to save a little cash. But at this point it’s pennies I’m saving.

Thanks for shooting the shit with me man! I’m gonna try and get outside today and enjoy the weather. Also I’m probably detailing this thread lol.

Take care and hit me in PM whenever!

2 Likes

Same to you , thanks for the chat , have a great day : )

1 Like

Thanks for backing that up mate especially with your knowledge, I don’t have the skills or smarts to explain it as well as you did.

I live in a developing country also and in a very rural area so people in my area although always have rice they can’t always afford milk but I still encourage them to just use the rice wash on it’s own to collect bacteria.

Next is trying to convince them not to burn their leaves, they don’t like hearing that though… to them I’m just a crazy white boy who they see carting wheelbarrows of cow shit up the road and picking magic mushrooms in the rain haha

8 Likes

I made some. So easy! Got any tips for using it to make Bokashi? I mean, do I just dilute it and pour it on some wheat bran and let it sit for a week or two then dry it out? Is that really all there is to it?!

1 Like

I’ve used the unconventional farmer website quite a lot regarding LAB and fortunately it is still readable on the wayback machine:

4 Likes

That’s a lot of good info. I started adding a little LAB to my morning glass of water. Read it may help people with celiacs or a gluten intolerance. Gonna send this info to a friend that has gluten problems. Also been feeding my dog the cheese off the top of the ferment and he loves it. I tried it also and it’s a strong flavor!

5 Likes

Little miss Muffet she sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey
Along came a spider who sat down beside her
And frightened miss Muffet away
Lol

I make bokashi using this technique

First make some ‘EM’ by adding 500ml of LAB, 500ml of black strap molasses and 19 litres of water to a 20litre bucket seal with a lid and let sit for 1 month in a cool dark spot.

Bokashi recipe (1 pound of wheat bran)
5ml EM
5ml LAB
1 pound of bran
Water (just enough to moisten not wet)

I mix all ingredients then put it in a garbage bag and seal then put back in the bucket with the lid on back in the cool dark spot again for another 2 to 3 weeks. Once done if not used immediately you will have to dry it properly before storing it.

I hope your wife likes the smell more than mine haha

7 Likes

It can actually even stop all symptoms of crohn’s disease if sipped with every meal, amazing stuff :muscle:t4:

5 Likes

Would that be similar to growkashi? I read in a thread about sips that they like to use growkashi to put fungus in their grow box. They get hyphae to grow thick under the mulch layer with it.

4 Likes

I’ll have to read up on growkashi mate, I remember hearing about it last year in a podcast but can’t remember the specifics. I think growkashi was the company name if I recall.

My belief in having it in my soil mix is it’s adding beneficial bacteria and helping the worms break down organic matter becoming plant available faster.

2 Likes

Yep, this reminds me. I need to make some more.